Things Canadian.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Watched the other night, a good film despite the the one or two cock ups in it. Well worth a look.

Haven't seen it yet, but a lot of people seem happy that Draco Malfoy has finally got his redemption story

pinepig

Clanker
Does anyone have a take on the sheer number of VSO's in the CAF that are currently on a sticky wicket. It seems like a weekly issue that the media comes up with yet another general in the sh*t. I realise its half a dozen or so, but what the hell?

Does anyone have a take on the sheer number of VSO's in the CAF that are currently on a sticky wicket. It seems like a weekly issue that the media comes up with yet another general in the sh*t. I realise its half a dozen or so, but what the hell?
Allegations against jr officers don’t earn the same cash settlements or publicity as going after a Colonel or General does.....

pinepig

Clanker
It just seems to have the whiff of being orchestrated. My sense is that outside of Vance, guys are flaming out simply due to allegations. When Fortin went down it just seemed like playing into someone's agenda when the country could least afford it. Whose agenda I haven't a clue, but the knives are out for sure. If it isn't the CAF, it's the mounties. What a sh*t show.

It just seems to have the whiff of being orchestrated. My sense is that outside of Vance, guys are flaming out simply due to allegations. When Fortin went down it just seemed like playing into someone's agenda when the country could least afford it. Whose agenda I haven't a clue, but the knives are out for sure. If it isn't the CAF, it's the mounties. What a sh*t show.
Adm McDonald was cleared through investigation, where’s he now, oh yes, marking time because Trudeau won’t put him back in his position because there are members of parliament who still think he is guilty. If you have any indiscretions or poor judgement, real or perceived, at any point in your life after age 18 and wish to make general/admiral, good luck with that under Justin and co.....

pinepig

Clanker
It's the perceived bit that really bothers me. Brutal. I do get it though, the trudeau wokefest has a long way to run yet.

It's the perceived bit that really bothers me. Brutal. I do get it though, the trudeau wokefest has a long way to run yet.
What is happening now is only the beginning, if it gains traction the CF could be gutted of it’s SNCO’s and senior officers over unsubstantiated claims just for the sake of so called wokeness.

Neg. Just shaking my head at the whole situation.
It’s a difficult one to actually figure out as the CF has a non disclosure policy when it comes to investigations that don’t lead to charges. The accused can be cleared, but their hands are tied from defending themselves in public as even the accuser has the right to privacy.

On seasonal issues, I put the cover on the a/c yesterday and its longs (trousers) weather out there. Still nice wearing shorts about the house but Winter’s on it’s way.

On seasonal issues, I put the cover on the a/c yesterday and its longs (trousers) weather out there. Still nice wearing shorts about the house but Winter’s on it’s way.
I went for a walk in shorts, in the drizzle last night. Not so sure tonight though

I took the speakers down from our pool sound system this morning. For us, that’s the official onset of Winter.

Now that the summer is coming to an end here's an FYI.

Amazon Prime Canada have put up Extreme Frontiers with Charlie Borman traveling across Canada East to West meeting interesting ordinary people, highlighting the diverse culture, and diverse landscape.
10 episodes of good entertaining TV and well worth a watch.

I finally had to turn on the furnace tonight, at least l made it this far into fall.

Aye it's starting to get a bit chilly up here as well. Last couple of mornings we've had frost. A couple of more weeks and we'll be up to our arrse in snow. I love the winter but on the downside come the snow and come the coyotes.

Most people are probably familiar with the former Norse ("Viking") settlement in Newfoundland. For those that aren't the Norse had established a presence in Newfoundland around a thousand years ago, but later abandoned the settlement for unknown reasons. Archaeologists unearthed the remains of their buildings in the 1960s. There is now a reconstruction of the village on an adjacent site (see the story for photos).

What is new here is that they have been able to put a precise date on the settlement by using a new scientific technique based on radiocarbon dating of a solar storm which left a "spike" of radiocarbon in tree rings in AD 933. By using this as a baseline and then counting subsequent tree rings in wood recovered from the archaeological remains they were able to put a precise date of AD 1021 on when at least part of the settlement was built.

Ancient solar storm proves Vikings lived in Newfoundland by at least AD 1021, scientists say

So while this doesn't present any entirely new evidence, it does help to put a precise date on some of what they already had.

The rumour is that Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan will get shuffled to another portfolio when the new cabinet is announced. There is no speculation on what that will be.
A new job for Sajjan and some new faces — here's what to expect when Trudeau names his next cabinet
Assuming the rumours are correct I suspect the reason for him being moved is that the Conservatives and the NDP have been calling for his scalp with respect to scandals in his department (mainly dating from before his time) mentioned by others above and the government want a new face on the DND when parliament resumes.

According to rumour the new defence minister will be Anita Anand, currently minister of public services and procurement. She is generally considered to have done a good job with respect to vaccine procurement and seems to be quite competent in terms of organization and administration.

Assuming she gets the job, one of the major things on her plate will be the new fighter jets, with a decision expected to be announced soon. There is a detailed formal process involved in that, so her job would not be to make a choice so much as make sure the rules surrounding the process are followed and the contract details hammered out.

It has already been confirmed that Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Chrystia Freeland will remain in post.

Latest Threads