Things Canadian.

No, a lot further sw than Wellington, 3rd time in the past 2 weeks I’ve lost power, trees down on power lines keep taking it out. There’s been a fight going on between HydroOne, the county, and the township for a least 15 years over who is responsible for all the dead ash lining the roads and this is the result.

If it makes you feel any better, similar here yesterday. We had a biblical downpour, and it must have been shorting transformer contacts, or similar. For about an hour we had momentary outages. After 3 of them, I unplugged the computers lest their HDs get messed up with the repeated aborted restarts. Right pain in the arrse. Still, better than the last major outage where we lost power pretty much all day on Christmas Day.

If it makes you feel any better, similar here yesterday. We had a biblical downpour, and it must have been shorting transformer contacts, or similar. For about an hour we had momentary outages. After 3 of them, I unplugged the computers lest their HDs get messed up with the repeated aborted restarts. Right pain in the arrse. Still, better than the last major outage where we lost power pretty much all day on Christmas Day.
If you’re in Tenn your rain was my rain, and still is, hasn’t stopped. Watched it on satellite radar head this way from your neck of the woods then it collided with cold winds out of the north right on top of my region, real shïte state things are. I have both a pto generator and a petrol one so keeping the house powered up isn’t an issue, it’s the fücking about at 3 am in the pouring rain flying at me horizontally that I’m not that keen on, it’s a younger mans game. The biggest problem right now is 5” of rain in less than 24 hrs has saturated or flooded the soybean fields, it will take weeks for them to dry out enough once the rain stops before the combine can get back to work without sinking.

If you’re in Tenn your rain was my rain, and still is, hasn’t stopped. Watched it on satellite radar head this way from your neck of the woods then it collided with cold winds out of the north right on top of my region, real shïte state things are. I have both a pto generator and a petrol one so keeping the house powered up isn’t an issue, it’s the fücking about at 3 am in the pouring rain flying at me horizontally that I’m not that keen on, it’s a younger mans game. The biggest problem right now is 5” of rain in less than 24 hrs has saturated or flooded the soybean fields, it will take weeks for them to dry out enough once the rain stops before the combine can get back to work without sinking.
Roads are flooded, rivers and creeks are over the banks, etc., where I am.

It was warm and sunny weather like a nice summer's day on the weekend. I wouldn't mind some of that back right now.

Roads are flooded, rivers and creeks are over the banks, etc., where I am.

It was warm and sunny weather like a nice summer's day on the weekend. I wouldn't mind some of that back right now.
Seems to have stabilized for the moment but undoubtedly more rain is on the way. My rain gauge which l emptied yesterday morning shows just over 5”, may not be the wettest year on record but feels like it.

7Ri9Ex.jpg

Seems to have stabilized for the moment but undoubtedly more rain is on the way. My rain gauge which l emptied yesterday morning shows just over 5”, may not be the wettest year on record but feels like it.

7Ri9Ex.jpg
Probably one of the better summers that I remember though here.

No, a lot further sw than Wellington, 3rd time in the past 2 weeks I’ve lost power, trees down on power lines keep taking it out. There’s been a fight going on between HydroOne, the county, and the township for a least 15 years over who is responsible for all the dead ash lining the roads and this is the result.

There are always going to be issues when Hydro One is involved. Part of the problem is that they have a yearly budget for maintenance, which includes tree trimming, and they concentrate on clearing the high voltage lines, 27.6kV and up. For local distribution lines, it’s probably cheaper for them to replace a section of line or close a fuse than removing the trees. Unfortunately, it’s customers like us who live in rural areas that suffer, and that’s why we installed a generator several years ago. And it’s Hydro One, they’re a law onto themselves…or think they are.
At the utility I worked for, dead trees were never removed by line workers, branches were cut back enough to clear the lines for removal by city workers or contractors. Maybe Hydro One has the same policy In your area.

Last edited:
That’s the kick in the plums with HydroOne, l received a letter from them a week ago advising me that they’re applying to hike the rates so they can improve their maintenance and infrastructure. Improve it to provide better power feed to towns and cities is the reality.

Their tree policy must change with the boss at the time, that’s what lead us locally to the point we’re at now. In May 2011 a HydroOne crew with bucket truck and chipper showed up at my doorstep explaining they’re about to cut down one of my large ash trees at the end of my driveway. I pointed out that it wasn’t dead and asked what the reasoning was to which it was explained that it posed a future threat and it was their policy to remove them. They proceeded to cut the tree down but left an almost 15ft stump which is still standing today, they stopped at that point as the tree was no longer a risk anymore.
Fast forward a few years and there are hundreds of dead old ash trees on my road regularly losing limbs in bad weather which in turn take out power lines. I ring up HydroOne and enquire what they’re going to do about it and get the response it’s not their job and they’ve never had a policy of the sort, just ring up the township...Get in touch with the township and their policy only covers trees that hang directly over the road itself, anything thats hanging overhead of just power lines that is a threat is HydroOne’s responsibility. It’s all a bit ridiculous.

For those that have experience of both; How do Aboriginal Canadians (not the french ones who think they are native) stack up against Britain’s gypo population as far being troublesome/unproductive members of society? Would you swap?

Opinions would vary based on the region they’re in. Here in BC they’re pretty quiet, even the child “mass” burial thing has calmed down. Maybe to some extent because its been established that the graveyards were also used by non-natives, some of whom moved on following the $.

Bands have leased land for development of housing estates, Sun Rivers eg and in Westbank, numerous businesses, Walmart, Rona, hotels etc. are thriving on band-owned land.

Until recently it was a little known fact that the Westbank First Nation owns the land on which the main 4-lane highway runs between two cities. Theyre very progressive though and I doubt they’ll bother with that for awhile.

Small world but we had dinner with our old bookkeeper and her husband last night, he’s status shes not. Very nice people who’ve lived in a White community since leaving home.

Other opinions will differ of course, but no. Keep your Pikeys!

And im enjoying Peaky Blinders too, so I aint “a rascist”…….

Now, as for French Canadians……

Last edited:
That’s the kick in the plums with HydroOne, l received a letter from them a week ago advising me that they’re applying to hike the rates so they can improve their maintenance and infrastructure. Improve it to provide better power feed to towns and cities is the reality.

Their tree policy must change with the boss at the time, that’s what lead us locally to the point we’re at now. In May 2011 a HydroOne crew with bucket truck and chipper showed up at my doorstep explaining they’re about to cut down one of my large ash trees at the end of my driveway. I pointed out that it wasn’t dead and asked what the reasoning was to which it was explained that it posed a future threat and it was their policy to remove them. They proceeded to cut the tree down but left an almost 15ft stump which is still standing today, they stopped at that point as the tree was no longer a risk anymore.
Fast forward a few years and there are hundreds of dead old ash trees on my road regularly losing limbs in bad weather which in turn take out power lines. I ring up HydroOne and enquire what they’re going to do about it and get the response it’s not their job and they’ve never had a policy of the sort, just ring up the township...Get in touch with the township and their policy only covers trees that hang directly over the road itself, anything thats hanging overhead of just power lines that is a threat is HydroOne’s responsibility. It’s all a bit ridiculous.

That doesn’t surprise me in the least. Hydro One has always been a pain in the proverbial, but I only found out how much when I moved from being a lineman in our utility to systems control. Part of my job was co-ordinating work between our line crews and Hydro One crews on joint use poles. On one particular job which sticks in my mind, I was asked by our line department what the reason was for a four week hold-up on a simple pole change, where we needed isolation on the Hydro One line on the top of the pole. I produced five pages of emails between me and four different Hydro One areas, from Barrie to Simcoe arguing about who was responsible for what. Admittedly, this one was caused by several people there changing jobs, but I did notice that their department managers don’t like people overstepping their authority. The same problem will probably exist between the township and Hydro One. As you say, it’s all a bit ridiculous.

That doesn’t surprise me in the least. Hydro One has always been a pain in the proverbial, but I only found out how much when I moved from being a lineman in our utility to systems control. Part of my job was co-ordinating work between our line crews and Hydro One crews on joint use poles. On one particular job which sticks in my mind, I was asked by our line department what the reason was for a four week hold-up on a simple pole change, where we needed isolation on the Hydro One line on the top of the pole. I produced five pages of emails between me and four different Hydro One areas, from Barrie to Simcoe arguing about who was responsible for what. Admittedly, this one was caused by several people there changing jobs, but I did notice that their department managers don’t like people overstepping their authority. The same problem will probably exist between the township and Hydro One. As you say, it’s all a bit ridiculous.
Funny you mention pole changing, there’s been new poles laying on the field side of the ditches going down my road that HydroOne dropped off maybe 5 years ago. Reminds me of CN who leave sleepers and sections of track sitting for years by the rail line and then complain they disappear....

Funny you mention pole changing, there’s been new poles laying on the field side of the ditches going down my road that HydroOne dropped off maybe 5 years ago. Reminds me of CN who leave sleepers and sections of track sitting for years by the rail line and then complain they disappear....

It’s not unusual for poles to lie for a couple of years, but five! Unless they’re what’s known as green salts, fully treated poles, they’ll be starting to rot if they’re lying on the ground. Maybe Covid has had something to do with the reconstruction being stopped. If not, that’s just another example of Hydro One wasting money. We all know about that!

It’s not unusual for poles to lie for a couple of years, but five! Unless they’re what’s known as green salts, fully treated poles, they’ll be starting to rot if they’re lying on the ground. Maybe Covid has had something to do with the reconstruction being stopped. If not, that’s just another example of Hydro One wasting money. We all know about that!
Actually it’s been 6 years, 2015, but yes they are the green ones. My opinion of HydroOne is about the same as Bell, you want service rurally they know you have no other choice so you’re at their mercy, don’t like it, to bad.

Actually it’s been 6 years, 2015, but yes they are the green ones. My opinion of HydroOne is about the same as Bell, you want service rurally they know you have no other choice so you’re at their mercy, don’t like it, to bad.

A company installed fibre optic cable in our area a couple of years ago. The first thing I did after we were hooked up was to call Bell and tell them to shove their services.
You‘ve maybe heard about this:

220EEEA5-D956-4051-8D1D-65F94350006F.png

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is Bell private or state owned and does it have a monopoly on providing telecom services?
Obviously not if he's hoofed them in favour of the fibre optic provider.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Much of rural Ontario doesn’t have that option, no fibre optic cables running by my place, there’s not even a gas line.
Which might lead some to think that a type of radio communication system might temporarily fill the gap.

Much of rural Ontario doesn’t have that option, no fibre optic cables running by my place, there’s not even a gas line.

The only reason I see for that is that the companies don't want to invest in bringing fiber optic to your part of the world. We had Hughes net satellite internet for years and while it did what I needed it to do it was no good for streaming video and such and was very prone to outages if the weather was crap.

Our local utility company teamed up with an internet company from somewhere else in the country and brought fiber optic to the rural community. Hell I wasn't even a customer and we had no phone poles up our way but that didn't stop them.

The installed poles right up to our property, installed a small box outside the house and we have now had fiber optic for three or four weeks now and man what a huge difference. Satellite internet would take forever to download a large file, fiber optic took about just over a minute or so to download a 4.5gb file.

Cost to us for the internet and for home phone is $99 US a month.