• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Things Canadian.

I don't want to turn this into a politics thread (since Canadian politics can be a guaranteed cure for insomnia), but the latest adventures of Mad Max Bernier are too good to miss.

Maxime Bernier came in second behind winner Andrew Scheer in the last federal Conservative leadership race. Scheer himself was not well known outside his province (Saskatchewan) and trailed well behind in third place through most of the race but pulled into the lead with a surprise narrow win over Bernier near the end when one of the leaders (O'Leary) pulled out unexpectedly.

Bernier is a man of uncompromising principle and consistency who says exactly what he believes in. As you can imagine, these are not things which endeared him to the party leadership. He was too influential to ignore however, and under the previous government he occupied several cabinet positions.

Maxime Bernier

Andrew Scheer (not exactly as illustrated).

Berneir did not get along well with new leader Scheer however and was banished to the back benches. Bernier has now finally burned his bridges with the party.

With that he announced his resignation from the Conservative Party and his intent to form his own party who will contest all 338 ridings across the country in the next election.

All but one member of his riding association have resigned from the Conservatives to back Bernier's new political party. Bernier has other supporters elsewhere in the country who are drawn to his idealism, particularly his being the most forthright champion of free market ideas amongst any major figure in Canadian politics today. He had a successful career in the finance industry before turning to politics, and has a very loyal personal following in his own riding in rural Quebec where his father before him was a long time MP.

As I said, I don't want to turn this into a politics thread, so I won't analyze his policies too much or try to predict his chances of success. However, he has been one of the more colourful characters in Canadian politics in recent years and it will be interesting to see how far he can take things.

Maxime Bernier launched political career on family name, now looks to forge new party | CBC News
Swell, so are we looking at a Libertarian Party 2.0 with a french twist? I would be more open to Maxi if he wasn’t a frog, but I’m guessing he’ll be labeled racist or something along those lines.

In a way it will be a good thing for Max to start a party like that, it will allow many Canadians to show their true thoughts on some touchy subjects.

Bernier only remains in my memory because of his girlfriend. She was involved with a Hell's Angel at the same time. He brought home his confidential papers and left them unattended in her apartment.

Oh, and she carried a logo LV handbag every time she appeared with him. It was not the right bag for the outfit. Nor for the politician's arm candy

Had a storm blow through here last night (East GTA), quite wild for 30 minutes, no tornado but awesome wind and rain. We are house sitting the daughters place and casually told her the fence and garden shed blew down.. still haven't fessed up that it's fake snooze :)

Here in southwestern had two bad storms roll through, first around noon hour with 90-100 km winds and second just after 7. Lot of branches down, trees toppled or split, and missing shingles. Power was out all over the region off and on through the afternoon and evening. Pays to have a genset these last few years it seems.

Had a storm blow through here last night (East GTA), quite wild for 30 minutes, no tornado but awesome wind and rain. We are house sitting the daughters place and casually told her the fence and garden shed blew down.. still haven't fessed up that it's fake snooze :)
No tornados here, but quite a bit of flooding in town, if faceache is to be believed. Still no newspaper, as the printing presses in Ottawa are still shut down because the power's knocked out.

I picked a break in the storm to run to the car. Instantly I got outside a torrent and huge wind blew up and within thirty feet I was like I had been dumped in a pool. Timing is indeed everything.

Here in southwestern had two bad storms roll through, first around noon hour with 90-100 km winds and second just after 7. Lot of branches down, trees toppled or split, and missing shingles. Power was out all over the region off and on through the afternoon and evening. Pays to have a genset these last few years it seems.
It was a bit windy here in SW Ont. with some dark clouds, but the thunderstorms and tornadoes didn't put in an appearance and we only got a bit of rain. The hydro didn't even flicker here, let alone go out.

I know someone in western Ottawa whose hydro is still out today. According to the news a major substation got damaged and there are lots of poles down.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
It’s been epic here. Tornado touched down. When I get better internet I post pictures. Scary as ****.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Saw the pics from Greenbank and Dunrobin from a pal who lives in Kanata. Glad I wasn't enduring it.
I live out west in Stittsville. We got lucky and have power. Most don’t and a transformer was hit so they reckon a few days with out power. Places can only do cash, gas running out and only a few shops have power. Facebook a life saver as our local groups are offering up homes, ice or places for horse for example to anyone.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer

This from Hydro Ottawa, the local electricity company. They are dealing with power outages across the city and not everyone will get restoral until Wednesday they reckon.

The original reports said that there was one tornado that hit Dunrobin and Gatineau. The news today from the CBC said there was a second one that hit between Kanata and Nepean. Kanata is just east of Stittsville. That one would have been a lot closer to Guns than the first tornado.

Members of the Canadian forces will be allowed beards, although the line is being drawn at "hipster beards". Canadian military OK's beards, as long they're not hipster-style | CBC News
Members of the Canadian military will be allowed to sport beards, as long as they are not shaggy hipster beards, National Defence announced on Wednesday.
Other restrictions will be applied according to circumstances, but it looks like beards are back in military style.

I fear the one on the right in this recent photo however may run afoul of the "anti-hipster" rule unfortunately.