Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things Canadian.

I hit a deer in Northern Wisconsin with a Thunderbird. The front end was a total write off, but at least he didn't crash into the passenger compartment. We were eyeball to eyeball though as he flipped over the roof. My buddy appreciated the venison and he had some bone handle knives made out of his antlers.

It's the same one for not feeding bears, they'll keep coming back but in their case will end up destroying a vehicle, moose bars were invented for a reason.....

A Moose walks into a bar, and the barman says "Why the long face?"

Now, if it had been a Moose bar.........

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is the solution to drive faster than they can run so they can't lick your bakkie ?
I suspect it's mainly directed at people who park by the side of the highway to watch and take pictures of moose, and telling them to do something (e..g. honk the car horn) if the moose starts licking the salt off their car.

I suspect it's mainly directed at people who park by the side of the highway to watch and take pictures of moose, and telling them to do something (e..g. honk the car horn) if the moose starts licking the salt off their car.
Don't need to go Canada to see that sort of fuckwittery, loads of Dartmoor/Exmoor ponies get totalled every year because townie mongs feed them from their car windows.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In my part of Ontario it's deer not moose that cause the carnage. When l first moved here my insurance broker said the same as you, if you have to hit them, hit them at speed.

A Roe jumped a dyke when I was driving into work one day, I had just overtaken a white van, and was driving at 70, I passed the van flicked my eyes up to the rear view to check the distance between me and him and then Bang! Took out the whole right wing and the roe ended up in a field about 20ms away. **** that gave me a scare.

Many years back I played golf a couple of times at highland links in Cape Breton. Both times you could hear Moose calls around. One of the tee times was really early (I think we were first away). On one of the holes some Moose were standing near the edge of the fairway. There was a bloke there from the course who advised either some very precise play, or a free drop up by the hole. We all took the drop..

A Roe jumped a dyke when I was driving into work one day, I had just overtaken a white van, and was driving at 70, I passed the van flicked my eyes up to the rear view to check the distance between me and him and then Bang! Took out the whole right wing and the roe ended up in a field about 20ms away. **** that gave me a scare.
The deer in southwestern Ontario generally turn your vehicle into scrap, you get to keep the deer though.

I bet the dyke wasn’t that impressed either.

I've only see one moose in my life, but I still try to stay vigilant when I drive the highways around here. It's pretty nasty what they can do to your vehicle.

I was heading into Rocky Mountain House coming from Nordegg when I spotted the flashing lights of an RCMP vehicle ahead so slowed right down to go past. As I got closer I saw the the Mountie at the scene was someone I knew.

There isn't a lot of traffic on Highway 11 and as he was the only Copper on scene I stopped to see if any help was needed. Turned out the driver of a pickup truck hit a Moose cow, when he hit it it went right over the truck cab and came to rest in the bed of the truck with four broken legs and though no doubt in pain was sat in the back of the truck looking not bothered at all.

There was some damage to the truck but it could still be driven thanks to the bull bar the guy had fitted to the truck. Mel, the copper, asked the driver if he wanted the meat and when the driver said yes, Mel dispatched the Moose right there in the back of the cab and off the driver and his many kilos of Moose meat went.

I've only see one moose in my life, but I still try to stay vigilant when I drive the highways around here. It's pretty nasty what they can do to your vehicle.

Bring in a 20' container of the Freddie Hirsch Houtskool boerewors mix, get a deal going with a pig farm for a few tons of excess spek and sausage casings, and go around collecting all the roadkill moose. I reckon you could make an absolute fortune from moose boerie with that recipe. It's seriously lush and spiked with loads of spek, works like a dream on the braai.

James Cross, the British diplomat who was kidnapped by the FLQ in 1970 has died. He was aged 99.
James Cross, British diplomat who survived FLQ kidnapping, dead at 99
Cross acknowledged afterward he had tried to remain friendly with his captors, joking with them and inquiring about their political beliefs. But that, he recalled, was merely a survival tactic.

"I hated the lot of them and would have cheerfully killed them if the opportunity arose," the diplomat said in an 1995 account of the kidnapping that is part of an oral history project at Cambridge University.

That's what I like to hear. None of this namby pamby forgiveness stuff!

Latest Threads