Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things Canadian.

The WE Charity, headed by the two walking bags of scum called the Kielburger brothers have decided to close shop in Canada and move elsewhere. I'm getting the distinct whiff of burning metal as the paper shredders are overloaded.

"There's no one to blame" - Oh, there's plenty to blame, you greasy little turds.

4eh5o8.jpg

The WE Charity, headed by the two walking bags of scum called the Kielburger brothers have decided to close shop in Canada and move elsewhere. I'm getting the distinct whiff of burning metal as the paper shredders are overloaded.

"There's no one to blame" - Oh, there's plenty to blame, you greasy little turds.

View attachment 503409
There have been articles in the press about various charities having to close their doors because funding has collapsed during the pandemic when they were unable to hold fund raising events. This one has the additional burden of a whiff of scandal associated with them. It's not too surprising really.

They already have operations in the US and UK, and I won't be surprised if they simply move their headquarters there instead.

They had a big celebrity filled fund raising event in the UK just before the lockdown, and Sophie-Gregoire Trudeau attended it and caught COVID-19 while in the UK.

To add a few details to the above, the balloting was based on a ranked ballot system, with each riding getting an equal number of points. This ensured that a winning candidate had to get support all across the country rather than just signing up lots of members in a few places.

There were four candidates, Peter Mackay, Erin O'Toole, Leslyn Lewis, and Derek Sloan.
  • First round it was (in order of most points) Mackay, O'Toole, Lewis, and Sloan.
  • Second round it was Mackay, O'Toole, and Lewis.
  • O'Toole won in the third round.
The general consensus just before the ballots were counted was that for Mackay to win he had to get a majority of points in the first or second round, but that if it went into a third round then O'Toole was more likely to pick up enough second and third choice votes to win. This is how it played out.

Mackay was former leader of the Conservatives, who merged the party with Harper's Alliance while ceding the leadership to Harper. Mackay served in a number of cabinet positions in the Harper government, but returned to the private sector to work as a corporate lawyer before Harper's 2015 election loss. He returned to politics for this leadership race, and at the start was seen as a shoe-in. Mackay was from Nova Scotia and represented a riding there while in politics, but currently resides in Toronto.

O'Toole was newer to politics than Mackay, but was also a cabinet minister during the Harper government. He ran for the last leadership race, coming in third behind Scheer and Bernier. He is currently an MP for Durham riding in Ontario, just east of Toronto. He was seen as likely to place second in the race. O'Toole is a lawyer, and an ex-RCAF navigator.

Dr. Leslyn Lewis is a lawyer and a relative newcomer to politics. She ran in the last election when she was brought in to replace a Tory candidate who had to resign in the middle of the election due to a scandal, but did not win. She did surprisingly well during the leadership race and impressed a great many people, and if she runs in the next election and wins will almost certainly be on the front bench, and in cabinet if the Tories form the government. She appeals to the right wing of the party and did particularly well in Saskatchewan. She is also from Toronto. If she had won she may have been handicapped by not having served in any elected office before, and by being seen by many voters as a bit too right wing to appeal to the mainstream outside the party base. On the other hand she seems to have a good instinct when it comes to speaking about issues which connect with voters on an individual basis.

Derek Sloan is an MP representing a riding in Ontario. He was virtually unknown by the public outside of his riding before the leadership race. He was backed by single issue anti-abortion activists and seen as an embarrassment by many in the party. Reportedly a number of other Conservative MPs wanted him kicked out of the caucus. Mackay had referred to the single issue anti-abortionists as being a "stinking albatross around the neck of the party", and the majority of Canadian voters would probably agree.

O'Toole appears to have won by doing very well in Quebec, and he is believed to have been the second choice candidate for a lot of Lewis supporters. This latter one I'll have to confirm when I look at the third round results tomorrow. He had a very clever campaign chair who focused on where to mine for the most riding points. Thus although Mackay won in nearly all the provinces on the first round, he didn't win by enough while O'Toole won big in Quebec (the second largest province after Ontario) and positioned himself to be second choice for Lewis's supporters.

Of O'Toole's policies, the one which may be of most interest to people in the UK is that he has been one of the main driving forces behind CANZUK, and this will almost certainly be government policy should the Conservatives win the next election. Canada currently has a minority government, but none of the parties are seen as anxious to risk triggering an election during the pandemic and facing the wrath of the voters for doing so.

On a personality level, Mackay comes across as very likeable and approachable and was considered to be the one most likely to have appealled to the largest number of voters outside of the party. O'Toole can put on the charm when necessary, but if watched for long enough gives the impression as being an opportunist and political chameleon. Lewis is a political novice and probably needs some experience before being considered a seasoned politician. Sloan is a non-entity.

I will leave party politics to another discussion. Given how COVID-19 has wiped the political slate clean so comprehensively I would consider speculation on election timings and results as being pointless at this time.
Mornington Cresent

Benjamin1876

Old-Salt
I haven't looked right through this thread so I don't know if anybody has mentioned this in a previous post - our son married a girl from Kamloops and our youngest daughter married a man who was born in Moose Jaw and lived most of his early life in Calgary. The one thing we soon noticed with both of them and all the relatives of them that we met was that they were all the ME -ME types, so selfish, wanted everything for themselves and rarely considered the needs and wants of other people, and they knew everything, I don't think I have ever met anybody who was always right as much as they were, but so ill-mannered when it came to considering other people, is that a Canadian trait or were we just unlucky that two of our children made a decision that has upset us , cos I think if all Canucks are like that I wonder from where they inherited that selfish trait or did they develop it as a nation?

I haven't looked right through this thread so I don't know if anybody has mentioned this in a previous post - our son married a girl from Kamloops and our youngest daughter married a man who was born in Moose Jaw and lived most of his early life in Calgary. The one thing we soon noticed with both of them and all the relatives of them that we met was that they were all the ME -ME types, so selfish, wanted everything for themselves and rarely considered the needs and wants of other people, and they knew everything, I don't think I have ever met anybody who was always right as much as they were, but so ill-mannered when it came to considering other people, is that a Canadian trait or were we just unlucky that two of our children made a decision that has upset us , cos I think if all Canucks are like that I wonder from where they inherited that selfish trait or did they develop it as a nation?
Your children married into families filled with cünts, simple as that....

I live but a fairly short distance from the border with Canada and have a few really good Canadian mates over there, we usually get together a couple of times a year for national celebrations and the likes.

I reckon that you must have got unlucky mate because the Canadians I know are friendly good humoured people who will help out just about anyone. The things is no matter where you go in the world you will find people like your kids in-laws.

clothears

War Hero
The Keilburger brothers. I remember them from the 90s and had been wondering what happened to them. They are roughly the same ages as my sons. I remember their Mum dragging them around the morning news programmes and chat show going on about their "charity work" when they were around 10/early teens. They were annoying little twunts and their Mum was a climber of Meghan Markle level. So it's no surprize to me that they ended up in this mess. They expected to be adored and told how wonderful they were.

Kamloops and Medicine Hat. Charming places. We had the misfortune to live in Calgary for 6-7 years. I grew up in the lower mainland of BC. Kamloops was known for nothing except the mill and cattle, plain speaking people and a few weirdos. Medicine Hat was in Alberta and always regarded as a bit rednecked.

When we moved to Alberta, it was like being trapped in an episode of Dallas. Cowboy hats and bragging seemed to be the norm. Edmonton was actually a friendlier town than Calgary, but plays on its Ukrainian heritage more than it's cattle and oil bag ground. So basically, it sounds like your kids married small town people with small town mentalities. We were amazed that people here were so different.

I'll never forget going into a mall restaurant on a house hunting trip in Fort Saskatchewan. All heads turned to stare at us, and we heard one old guy say "one of those Army families who are going to buy up all the houses". Spousal unit decided that there was no way in hell he was living in a town that was like that.

A very large 102 carat diamond from a northern Ontario mine will go on auction in a process starting on line and finishing with an in-person auction in Hong Kong in October.

The diamond was mined in 2018. It was cut from a larger 271 carat rough diamond, and then cut and polished for more than a year. It is of exceptional size, colour, and purity.

There is no reserve price and no price estimate, as diamonds of such calibre are so rare as to be difficult to put a price on.

According to Sotheby's it is the second largest diamond to ever come up for auction, behind only a 118 carat diamond from Africa that sold for $30 million in 2013. It's also only the eighth oval diamond of over 100 carats to ever come up for auction.

Any of you who are looking for something for the missus may wish to take note.

And as if we didn't have enough problems, the fruit loops are out in force.
Quebec extremists radicalized by COVID-19 conspiracy theories could turn to violence, experts warn

Quebec has long been know as the home of bizarre cults and ideas. I think it's knowing they are French is what drives them mad.

COVID-19 has become a new focal point for conspiracy theorists in Quebec, and this includes making death threats against premier François Legault.
Late one Tuesday night in May, while most of Quebec was still under lockdown orders, the phone rang in Premier François Legault's riding office.

In a calm but firm voice, a man left a message saying he regretted voting for Legault, and then warned the premier that his days were numbered.

A few hours later, at 3:16 a.m., the man called back and left another message. This time he was screaming and swearing about Quebec's top public health official, Dr. Horacio Arruda.

The man said he could get access to a gun and wanted to shoot Arruda.

The suspect in question was in the US at the time, and when he arrived in Quebec he was arrested.

Four other people have been arrested for making threats against public officials since May.
Since May, provincial police in Quebec have arrested at least four other people for allegedly making online threats against politicians and other public figures. Police have interviewed several more about their online activities following complaints from the public.

Security officials have received more than 300 reports of threats against Quebec politicians, an increase of 450 percent over the same period last year.
The Sûreté du Québec says it has received 300 reports since March about Quebec politicians being threatened on social media — an increase of more than 450 per cent over the same period last year.

All of the arrested suspects have Facebook accounts that promote conspiracy theories about COVID-19. These include ones connected with American conspiracy theory ground QAnon.
The suspects all have Facebook accounts that promote conspiracy theories about COVID-19, including some that originate from QAnon, a conspiracy movement that began in the U.S. and is now considered a national security threat by the FBI.

Conspiracy theories are circulating widely in Quebec, including ones that say that the pandemic is a tool created by governments to control people, or that the COVID-19 virus was created in a laboratory.
A poll conducted last month for Montreal's La Presse newspaper suggested 35 per cent of the population believe mainstream media outlets are spreading false information about COVID-19; 18 per cent believe the pandemic is a tool created by governments to control them.

Those findings echo a survey done in June by the province's public health research institute (INSPQ), which found 23 per cent of Quebecers believe that COVID-19 was fabricated in a laboratory — a theory rejected by scientists who have studied the genetic code of the virus and determined it was not manipulated.

One of the big promoters of COVID-19 conspiracy theories is Alexis Cossette-Trudel, who has a YouTube channel called "Radio-Québec". Radio-Quebec's subscriber count has quadrupled since the pandemic hit Quebec.
Among the most popular purveyors of conspiracy theories in the province is Alexis Cossette-Trudel, the son of two convicted FLQ terrorists, who broadcasts his views on social media under the moniker Radio-Québec.

His YouTube channel has more than 110,000 subscribers. Analytics show that number has nearly quadrupled since the pandemic hit Quebec in March.

If that surname sounds vaguely familiar, he is the son of two convicted FLQ terrorists.

Cossette-Trudel openly supports QAnon and said that Legault was part of a global plot to ruin the economy to prevent the re-election of US president Trump. Just why the premier of Quebec would do this isn't clear.
Cossette-Trudel openly expresses support for QAnon, which holds, among other claims, that U.S. President Donald Trump is waging a battle against an international cabal of high-profile liberals who are Satan-worshipping pedophiles operating a child sex-trafficking ring.

In one recent video, Cossette-Trudel said Legault was exaggerating the risks of COVID-19 as part of a global plot to ruin the economy and prevent Trump from being re-elected.

Support for these sorts of conspiracy theories is evident in anti-mask demonstrations in Quebec, where participants claim that the pandemic is either "over", or was "fake" to begin with. Some cite Radio-Quebec as their source of information.
This strain of conspiracy thinking is a visible component in the ongoing anti-mask demonstrations in Quebec.

At a protest last Saturday in Montreal, which attracted several thousand people, there were dozens of posters and T-shirts inspired by QAnon symbols and slogans.

Many participants said they thought the pandemic was "over" or "fake" and that the government was lying about the deadliness of the disease.

"At first I thought Radio-Québec was too extreme, but then with time, I realized they are right," said Marie-Josée Bernard, a mother of three who took part in Saturday's demonstration.

There are concerns that threats will turn into action. On Tuesday independent MNA (provincial MP) Catherine Fournier introduced a motion in the Quebec legislature calling for the recognition that the rise of conspiracy theories in Quebec is alarming and requires official action. The motion passed unanimously.
On Tuesday, the first day of the fall legislative session, independent MNA Catherine Fournier introduced a motion calling on the National Assembly to "recognize that the rise of conspiracy theories in Quebec is alarming and requires concerted action from civil society and public authorities."

The motion passed unanimously.

As part of your business licence there you have to “lodge” a sum of money with the province as security against any issues with Quebec citizens. We did. Then the province wrote to us and increased the deposit from $12.5k to $100k. We had three months to provide the cash or take out insurance, or lose our licence. We looked at the insurance. It turns out it isn’t insurance per se. if there is a claim you still have to pay, in full, as per the agreement. It’s just that the Province will accept that the insurance company has done due diligence and has a contract with you to pay it. That for about 8% of the surety amount, per annum.

We lodged the cash. Hopefully Quebec doesn’t go broke or need more cash

Former PM John Turner has just passed away, age 91.
John Turner, PM and Liberal leader who battled free trade with U.S., dead at 91

Turner was born in the town of Richmond upon Thames in the UK in 1929. When his father died while Turner was a child, his Canadian born mother moved back to Canada with her child.

After graduating from UBC, he received a Rhodes scholarship to study law at Oxford. He became a lawyer in London, and attended the Sorbonne in Paris. He returned to Canada before completing his doctorate at the Sorbonne, and joined a law firm in Montreal.

Turner made headlines for dancing with Princess Margaret in 1958. Letters revealed a few years ago said that she nearly married him. Reportedly the romance was broken up on orders from Buckingham Palace.

Turner ran for parliament in 1962, winning a riding in Montreal. When he married Geills McCrae Kilgour in 1963 he was a rising star in cabinet.

I'll skip over the details of most of his political career, those who are interested can read the above link.

The short version is that he served in various top portfolios under Pearson and later Pierre Trudeau. Deep disagreements with Trudeau over financial and economic policy led to his sudden resignation from politics.

After Trudeau's own resignation in 1984, Turner won the party leadership and became PM. However, Trudeau's parting gift to Turner was a huge pile of patronage appointments, causing a scandal which allowed Brian Mulroney to sweep to victory, leaving Turner as one of Canada's shortest serving prime ministers.

Turner remained as opposition leader, losing a second election, but increasing his party's share of seats. Turner resigned as party leader after this defeat, and then later retired from politics in 1993, returning to his legal and business career.

The above news story has a number of videos in them. One of them is a 9 minute interview with former PM Mulroney, who knew Turner before they were in politics and remained in social contact with him through most of the rest of his life. Mulroney was full of praise for Turner, although those who are familiar with Mulroney may take that with a grain of salt.

One of the other videos there is the classic 1988 election debate on Free Trade between Turner and Mulroney. Turner was against a free trade treaty with the US, while Mulroney was defending it. It bears a number of interesting parallels with the Brexit debate.

I could have picked several photos showing Turner as PM, but this one from earlier in his political career I found particularly interesting. This shows PM Lester Pearson (second from right) along with several of his cabinet ministers, with (from left) Trudeau, Turner, and finally Chretian on the right. All were to become PM at some point.

turner.jpg

A very large 102 carat diamond from a northern Ontario mine will go on auction in a process starting on line and finishing with an in-person auction in Hong Kong in October.

The diamond was mined in 2018. It was cut from a larger 271 carat rough diamond, and then cut and polished for more than a year. It is of exceptional size, colour, and purity.

There is no reserve price and no price estimate, as diamonds of such calibre are so rare as to be difficult to put a price on.

According to Sotheby's it is the second largest diamond to ever come up for auction, behind only a 118 carat diamond from Africa that sold for $30 million in 2013. It's also only the eighth oval diamond of over 100 carats to ever come up for auction.

Any of you who are looking for something for the missus may wish to take note.

The large Canadian diamond mentioned in a previous post has sold for $15.7M US at auction. This is a record for an on-line diamond auction.
102-carat 'flawless' Canadian diamond sells for online record of $15.7M US at auction

As well as being large, it is considered to be as near as perfect as possible for a natural diamond.

The diamond was sold at auction at Sotheby's in Hong Kong on Monday. The buyer is an unnamed Japanese man who bought it for his daughter and name it after her, the "Maiko Star". He bought a smaller 88.22 carat diamond for another daughter last year.

I know there are many of you reading this who are disappointed they missed out on buying this for your own daughter, but such are the fortunes of life.

clothears

War Hero
My turkey is going in tomorrow. One son is working the day and honestly, I don't want to deal with the clean up on Monday evening and then go to work at 0500 Tuesday!

Latest Threads