Things Canadian.

Why is the Triple Maple Leaf symbol red in the version of the flag posted by @terminal and green in the video @Bodenplatte posted?
Green leaves from 1921-1957, red leaves from 1957-1965.

And @terminal, you are being deliberately obtuse. The editor of that paper was not pandering to the blue rinse brigade who prefer the Ensign and Dominion Day when they came up with that disclaimer, and you know it.

Green leaves from 1921-1957, red leaves from 1957-1965.

And @terminal, you are being deliberately obtuse. The editor of that paper was not pandering to the blue rinse brigade who prefer the Ensign and Dominion Day when they came up with that disclaimer, and you know it.
You were supposed to laugh at what I said, especially if you knew who on this site I was referring to when I posted the two flags. Evidently I was not being obvious enough.

And let's have a look at what the paper actually said:
We understand the flag doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, however, we hope our readers recognize their ability to play a role in shaping Canada's future is a freedom worth acknowledging.
That seems like a pretty Canadian way of reminding people that this is the flag of the country they live in, and that it's worth remembering that it's a good country to be living in.

The "old flag" was technically not the official flag of Canada. Rather it was a naval ensign, although it was used unofficially as a national flag. Technically, the official flag of Canada until 1965 was the Union Jack. The current flag is the first official national flag of Canada.

Here's the history of Canadian flags:

Here's the history of how the maple leaf became associated with Canada.

And the pussification of Canada continues.
View attachment 485455
Well I'm gob-smacked. It sounds like the publisher is ashamed of the Canadian banner, or at least is cautious about giving offense to the WOKE crowd. Life's not worth living if done on one's knees.

Last edited:

Bodenplatte

War Hero
:pirat:
The "old flag" was technically not the official flag of Canada. Rather it was a naval ensign, although it was used unofficially as a national flag. Technically, the official flag of Canada until 1965 was the Union Jack. The current flag is the first official national flag of Canada.
Not a Naval Ensign - it was a civil Ensign.

The Ensign of the Royal Canadian Navy, until 1965, was exactly the same White Ensign as flown by the Royal Navy.
However, the pre-65 RCN Jack was the Canadian Blue Ensign.

The current RCN Ensign is a white field with the flag of Canada in the canton, and the Canadian Armed Forces badge in the fly.

Not that you are likely to see many RCN vessels these days - to think, that in my lifetime, it was the third largest navy in the world.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads