Things Canadian.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Will be interesting to watch Jason Kenny ramp up the rhetoric. Wondering if there are enough folk fed up of the current gas prices to basically give him a free ride, no matter how Notley and Trudeau spin how its good for us. Could be an entertaining winter this year.
Kenney is a blowhard and an unscrupulous opportunist. He's good at raising money for the party, but his federal political career was less than inspiring. I would take anything that issued from his mouth with several very large grains of salt.

As a few examples from his stint as defence minister under Harper:
Kenney breathlessly told tales of hair raising dramatic belligerence by the Russian military against the HMCS Fredricton in the Black Sea.
NATO officials contradict Jason Kenney’s claim that Russian fighter jets flew over Canadian navy frigate
He claimed the ship had been buzzed by Russian fighters and confronted by Russian warships.
James Bezan, parliamentary secretary to Minister of National Defence Jason Kenney, told the Commons Tuesday that: “Since arriving in the Black Sea, Royal Canadian Navy sailors have been confronted by Russian warships and buzzed by Russian fighter jets.”
Kenney repeated the claim the next day, stating that a Russian jet buzzed the Canadian frigate HMCS Fredericton at low altitude.
NATO had a different version of the story. The Russian overflights were at high altitude and the Russian warships could be seen far off on the horizon.
But NATO officials said the frigate was not buzzed and there was no confrontation with Russian warships. There were Russian overflights of the NATO maritime task force but those were at higher altitudes, they added. (...) NATO officials said the Russian vessels could be seen far off on the horizon, but never approached the task group.
The US admiral in charge of the NATO group said two Russian ships were spotted in the distance.
U.S. Rear Admiral Brad Williamson, commander of the maritime group, said at one point two Russian ships were spotted in the distance. But the Russians followed all regulations required of vessels in international waters, he added.
A BBC journalist travelling with the NATO group said a Russian surveillance aircraft was tracked 120 km away from the NATO ships, but didn't approach closer.
A BBC journalist travelling with the NATO force reported that a Russian surveillance aircraft was tracked at 69 nautical miles (128 kilometres) from the ships but didn’t approach further.
In another incident Kenney claimed that only Canada and the US had aircraft that could drop precision munitions on Syria. When opposition MPs called bullshit, he pressured the Chief of Defence Staff into issuing a letter supporting Kenney's claims. The CDS later had to back away from that with some loss to his own reputation.
About-face as Canada’s top general admits letter backing Jason Kenney on smart missiles is incorrect
Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Tom Lawson has done an abrupt about-face and is admitting that advanced precision-guided munitions were indeed used in Syria by Canada’s allies, despite claims to the contrary made by Defence Minister Jason Kenney. (...) Department of National Defence sources say Lawson was pressured by Kenney’s office to issue his original statement supporting the minister.
You don't have to dig very hard to find more examples from Kenney's career where he would be economical with the truth and then throw someone else under the bus when the truth came out. If he did it once or twice it might be possible to overlook it, but he's made a career out of it. If asked to list his actual genuine accomplishments outside of political self-promotion on the other hand, you would be hard pressed to find many. He is one of that breed of modern politician who went straight from university (which he never completed) to go straight into politics.

Alberta has enough problems without Kenney. He's an empty bag of wind.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is riding a term that has fallen out of use in the UK?
It is still used, but you don't hear it very often, especially with regard to constituencies. It's only really crops up with regard to the older meaning of the term ie a third part of, specifically the West Riding of Yorkshire which was one of the historic subdivisions Yorkshire.

Interestingly the Ontario Constitution of 1867 is the first codified use of Riding as a term for constituency in Canada that I am aware of.

Hustings still gets bandied about a lot though

It is still used, but you don't hear it very often, especially with regard to constituencies. It's only really crops up with regard to the older meaning of the term ie a third part of, specifically the West Riding of Yorkshire which was one of the historic subdivisions Yorkshire.

Interestingly the Ontario Constitution of 1867 is the first codified use of Riding as a term for constituency in Canada that I am aware of.

Hustings still gets bandied about a lot though
I'm not sure which country you are referring to with respect to hustings, but in Canada It generally refers to the act of campaigning in the ridings where candidates are knocking on doors and making local speeches ("out on the hustings"). However, while it is frequently used in the press as a common short hand, I've never seen it used in everyday speech between individuals. Admittedly though most people don't talk that much about politics on a day to day basis.

On the other hand in Canada, or at least in Ontario, it is very rare to hear any term other than 'riding' used in everyday speech with respect to a constituency. However, 'constituency' may be used for formal purposes.

A pair of hunters, father and son, had a bit of a lucky escape on Thursday. @ugly might like this one.
Nunavut hunter takes down 2 polar bears with one shot after 'scary' close call | CBC News

They were out hunting and decided to spend the night in their tent instead of heading back into town. The father said he spent most of the night awake worrying about bears. It was windy and noisy outside, so they would have a difficult time hearing any approaching.

At about 6:00am they finally fell asleep when their puppy starting growling and barking. They grabbed their rifles and stepped out of their tent to find themselves confronted by two polar bears. The son tried to scare the bears off, but they weren't deterred and continued to approach.

The father aimed his double barrelled rifle at the nearest bear and fired. However, both barrels discharged together. When he recovered he found that he had killed the first bear and knocked down the second! His son then approached the second bear and finished it off.

After the father calmed down a bit he went to look for their puppy, who had alerted them to the bears. He found the puppy asleep next to his rifle.

The hunters were from Coral Harbour, which is on Southampton Island at the northern end of Hudson Bay. Southampton Island is roughly twice the size of Wales with a population of less than a thousand.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm not sure which country you are referring to with respect to hustings, but in Canada It generally refers to the act of campaigning in the ridings where candidates are knocking on doors and making local speeches ("out on the hustings"). However, while it is frequently used in the press as a common short hand, I've never seen it used in everyday speech between individuals. Admittedly though most people don't talk that much about politics on a day to day basis.

On the other hand in Canada, or at least in Ontario, it is very rare to hear any term other than 'riding' used in everyday speech with respect to a constituency. However, 'constituency' may be used for formal purposes.
UK, the Electoral Commision even provides a nice booklet of advice:

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/105946/sp-hustings-rp-npc-ca.pdf

Figured this thread was as good of place to stick this, so might as well.
With his rollback of sex education in Ontario to the 1998 curriculum and cancelling 758 renewable energy projects, Dug Ford is sticking to his campaign promises it seems. Don’t get me wrong, I detest wind turbines with a passion and see them as a blight on the landscape that were pushed on the rural citizenry of Ontario without regards to their wishes. The turbines were just a feel good measure brought in, and a cash cow to the wind industry with not much actually trickling down to the land owners except leasing fees. It just seems odd that the Ontario government is turning back the clock 20 years, it’s going to be an interesting term.

Canadian women are fantastic.

Had a Canadian GF and whatever we had been upto the night before, she always woke me up the morning after with a BJ.
I can attest to that. Had a few over the years during high school and college since I was at the time living just across the border. Tho in terms of points for sex, I would put Kiwi women at the top. I only dated around 3 but all of them (esp. my latest ex) were fantastic and were up for it at anytime/place/mood.

With his rollback of sex education in Ontario to the 1998 curriculum and cancelling 758 renewable energy projects, Dug Ford is sticking to his campaign promises it seems. Don’t get me wrong, I detest wind turbines with a passion and see them as a blight on the landscape that were pushed on the rural citizenry of Ontario without regards to their wishes. The turbines were just a feel good measure brought in, and a cash cow to the wind industry with not much actually trickling down to the land owners except leasing fees. It just seems odd that the Ontario government is turning back the clock 20 years, it’s going to be an interesting term.
Dougie's announced he's canceled things. We'll see what happens when the various companies whose contracts are being ripped up decide to sue over it.

Dougie's announced he's canceled things. We'll see what happens when the various companies whose contracts are being ripped up decide to sue over it.
I am waiting for a letter, I’m one of those independent solar power producers he hates so much. I have a 100 grand invested in one of the sun tracker panels that’s under a twenty year contract, still quite the way til I break even as it is.....

Last edited:
Too bad that they never built an offshore wind farm on Toronto's waterfront. The screams of indignation would've been delicious.

Too bad that they never built an offshore wind farm on Toronto's waterfront. The screams of indignation would've been delicious.
Whenever I’ve worked at the island airport, there was always a nice strong breeze going through, Toronto is a perfect location to plant the turbines since they care so much about the environment there.....

Whenever I’ve worked at the island airport, there was always a nice strong breeze going through, Toronto is a perfect location to plant the turbines since they care so much about the environment there.....
400' tall eyesores are only for the rubes in rural Ontario. Toronto must maintain its pristine view of Lake Ontario from the Gardiner Expressway between the 1000' condominiums.

400' tall eyesores are only for the rubes in rural Ontario. Toronto must maintain its pristine view of Lake Ontario from the Gardiner Expressway between the 1000' condominiums.
I may be a simple rural dweller, but unlike Toronto, we don’t pump our sewage into Lake Ontario.....

I am waiting for a letter, I’m one of those independent solar power producers he hates so much. I have a 100 grand invested in one of the sun tracker panels that’s under a twenty year contract, still quite the way til I break even as it is.....
It's already being called "Gas Plant 2.0". The German company behind one of the projects is already implying that they will be demanding at least $100 million in compensation for that one not particularly large project if Ford goes through with it.
http://www.quintenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/openlettertoDougFord.pdf

and see what the head of the Canadian subsidiary had to say here:
Cancelled wind farm to cost Ontario ratepayers $100 million plus: Company - iPolitics
“Gas Plant 2.0 immediately comes to mind as the motivation seems to come from the local MPP and is clearly a breach of the contract,” MacRae said, (...) “The ratepayer will be on the hook for well in excess of $100 million,” MacRae said.
The previous government already stopped approving new wind turbine projects two years ago. What is building now are ones that were already approved before then.
Ontario government scraps plan for $3.8 billion in renewable energy projects | The Star

So if Dougie does nothing except not approve new projects, then he is simply re-announcing and taking credit for the policies of his predecessor. If he rips up signed contracts, then the companies are going to demand compensation and he is doing the same thing as the PCs liked to bash the previous government over with respect to certain natural gas fired generating plants.

I suspect that what actually happens later this year in terms of legislation will involve a lot fewer changes than what gets announced this summer.

It's already being called "Gas Plant 2.0". The German company behind one of the projects is already implying that they will be demanding at least $100 million in compensation for that one not particularly large project if Ford goes through with it.
http://www.quintenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/openlettertoDougFord.pdf

and see what the head of the Canadian subsidiary had to say here:
Cancelled wind farm to cost Ontario ratepayers $100 million plus: Company - iPolitics

The previous government already stopped approving new wind turbine projects two years ago. What is building now are ones that were already approved before then.
Ontario government scraps plan for $3.8 billion in renewable energy projects | The Star

So if Dougie does nothing except not approve new projects, then he is simply re-announcing and taking credit for the policies of his predecessor. If he rips up signed contracts, then the companies are going to demand compensation and he is doing the same thing as the PCs liked to bash the previous government over with respect to certain natural gas fired generating plants.

I suspect that what actually happens later this year in terms of legislation will involve a lot fewer changes than what gets announced this summer.
I was at a bbq with quite a few teachers in attendance this weekend who fully admitted to voting for Dug, yet are going full retärd about the sex ed policy. Guess not many of the enlightened set listened to him on the campaign trail.....

The previous government put a moratorium on offshore wind turbines in the Great Lakes several years ago. This had the effect of cancelling approval for an offshore wind turbine at the eastern end of Lake Ontario which by coincidence was not all that far from the onshore one in Prince Edward County referenced earlier. The company sued the provincial government who lost and had to pay out compensation to them (over $25 million if I recall correctly).

Things are not looking good for Dougie if he plans on cancelling contracts without paying out big money in compensation. And if all he ends up doing is not approving new projects, then he's just re-announcing and endorsing the policies of the previous government.

I'm not attacking or criticising you on this by the way, I'm just pointing out that the whole issue is not one which has simple answers.