Things Canadian.

I lived downtown for years and I don't remember that attitude. When I travel the opinions seem to be based more on perception rather than reality.

Well it's a big place I'm sure you don't have to come here.
I’m in TO now, so far it’s worse than I remember.

Lacrosse is a summer sport here too.
I've played lacrosse, and still have the scars.

Actually support for the Raptors has been steadily growing for years, most definitely among the millennial generation. For them the involvement of Drake has been a positive factor too.
Who?

I lived downtown for years and I don't remember that attitude. When I travel the opinions seem to be based more on perception rather than reality.

Well it's a big place I'm sure you don't have to come here.
As to why Torontonians are not well loved, have a look at the following screenshot. Note the second option in the auto-suggest list. This isn't a joke site, it's Google's algorithm coming up with the most common associations of words they find on the web to make suggestions for what you may be looking for. Torontonians have a reputation for thinking that Toronto is the centre of the universe, and that if they go past Mississauga they will fall off the edge of the world.

toronto.jpg

Before mobile phones and number overlay made it obsolete, Torontonians judged people by their phone area code. If you were a "416", you were "one of them". If you were a "905", you were an uneducated, uncultured, suburbanite, to be laughed at politely from behind their hands. If you had anything else, Torontonians were astonished that you had electricity and running water, let alone telephones.
Toronto area code stereotypes: a guide to the city’s shifting phone-based social hierarchy
The 416
Coverage: One of the first area codes in North America, dating back to 1947. It serves Toronto proper.
Archetype: Phone snobs who look down on people without a “true” Toronto number, 416ers are the most likely to use 905 as an adjective.
The Toronto media reinforced this, with a heavy focus on goings-on in Toronto, with the rest of the country being briefly covered at the end with a "and out in the regions, blah, blah, blah, etc.". In their minds, Toronto was "national", and anything else was a "region" where things were of purely local interest.

Personally, I don't really care about that. However, it's easy to see why Toronto and Torontonians are not well regarded in the rest of the country.

Yes, I do. I had no idea that Torontonians have even less of a sense of humour about their city than Scousers have about Liverpool.
I seem to remember that you live in Ottawa. Are big Canadian cities really that different for you to detest the place so much. I'm just interested why the hate.

I've played lacrosse, and still have the scars.

Who?

As to why Torontonians are not well loved, have a look at the following screenshot. Note the second option in the auto-suggest list. This isn't a joke site, it's Google's algorithm coming up with the most common associations of words they find on the web to make suggestions for what you may be looking for. Torontonians have a reputation for thinking that Toronto is the centre of the universe, and that if they go past Mississauga they will fall off the edge of the world.

View attachment 398330

Before mobile phones and number overlay made it obsolete, Torontonians judged people by their phone area code. If you were a "416", you were "one of them". If you were a "905", you were an uneducated, uncultured, suburbanite, to be laughed at politely from behind their hands. If you had anything else, Torontonians were astonished that you had electricity and running water, let alone telephones.
Toronto area code stereotypes: a guide to the city’s shifting phone-based social hierarchy

The Toronto media reinforced this, with a heavy focus on goings-on in Toronto, with the rest of the country being briefly covered at the end with a "and out in the regions, blah, blah, blah, etc.". In their minds, Toronto was "national", and anything else was a "region" where things were of purely local interest.

Personally, I don't really care about that. However, it's easy to see why Toronto and Torontonians are not well regarded in the rest of the country.
In truth I'm in the 905 now. Well for such an awful place the GTA is the part where most Canadians like to live and congregate I've travelled over most of it and everywhere has pros and cons, but it's a great country wherever you choose to live. And it certainly makes me smile when I get lectured on my choice of home by others.

Interesting that the bottom one makes the Google list I had to google it myself.

And Drake. I'm guessing you are the older gentleman. Ask your grand kids, for them Drake may well be the most famous Canadian of all

Typical Toronto news broadcast "Tonight on The National: Hundreds dead in Victoria, Riots in Halifax, Airliner crashes in Saskatoon. . . But first, let's join our reporter Terry at Bad Boy with his live coverage of Toronto's most comprehensive furniture sale with deep, deep discounts".

Typical Toronto news broadcast "Tonight on The National: Hundreds dead in Victoria, Riots in Halifax, Airliner crashes in Saskatoon. . . But first, let's join our reporter Terry at Bad Boy with his live coverage of Toronto's most comprehensive furniture sale with deep, deep discounts".
Got to get your priorities right. I'm surprised you get Toronto news broadcasts from so far away.

Ah but you live in the boonies don't you. the big city is a scary place, but you could pop by and by me a comforting beer on the way back eh.
I am indeed a country gentleman these days :), but I lived in Toronto for years, quite familiar with the city actually. At this particular moment in time, I am actually not to far to the east of you I believe.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Toronto. **** ‘em.

In Toronto August for sim training. Quite a pleasant place, but does no one there prepare their own meals? Never seen so many fast/junk food vendors, but then again I'm a third world hick who can do stuff other than peck at screens.

And that's another thing. The city should consider wrapping most structures in padding up to a height of six feet. The head down pecking at the electronic security blanket bimble of the peasantry is all a bit zombie apocalypse.

I am indeed a country gentleman these days :), but I lived in Toronto for years, quite familiar with the city actually. At this particular moment in time, I am actually not to far to the east of you I believe.
I’m in Oakville. You never know maybe one day our paths will cross.

I grew up on the edge of a small town and found I like both the big city and the countryside