Things Canadian.

I think the major difference between how cabinet works in Canada (as well as Britain, Australia, New Zealand, and others) compared to the US is that in the US the president appoints very large numbers of people from amongst his supporters and those appointees can be fairly far down into the hierarchy. Most of them may have little or no experience in government. They may have some business experience, but running a government isn't like running a business. The very large numbers of people replaced each time means that a lot of hard earned (i.e. from mistakes) experience walks out the door each time a president leaves.

In Canada the cabinet is appointed from amongst the MPs of the winning party, generally from among people who have too much political influence to ignore. However, the people immediately below them are career civil servants who have worked their way up through the ranks over a period of decades. The ministers will set the policy directions, but the means by which the details of that policy are formulated and the work carried out is by the civil service.

The end result is that while you can have "Yes Minister" type moments in Ottawa, there is also a great depth of professional experience to draw from.
For sure there are competent Civil Serpents in Ottawa but mainly biased toward the Liberals and definitely not even handed in dealings. Warneck comes to mind as a backroom wheeler-dealer.

Why, why on earth would you relish a Canadian team being beaten by a US one. Where is your national pride man. No need to type it I can hear the harrumph from here.

You can easily move if it sucks that badly where you live.
To be clear, I don't care whether Toronto wins or loses. I find it intensely boring and really don't care. I only even heard the Toronto team were doing well because of the Toronto media hype recently. I couldn't even begin to guess where they stand right now or how that relates to their chances at the basketball equivalent to the Stanley Cup.

As for them being a Canadian team, a bunch of Americans performing in Canada doesn't make the team "Canadian".

Hockey is on its way out, particularly amongst the younger crowd. The cost of having one son play from Timbits to Rep has become prohibitive. More if he (or she) plays goalie. Add to that losing franchises in the major markets, and the kids look elsewhere for champions. Basketball, popular with a large sector of new Canadians, has become the new cool thing. The Raptors have done in 24 years what the Leafs haven't done since... well, you know.

Hockey will always be popular, but one hasn't seen the excitement for a sports franchise in Toronto like what's happening now. Standing room only in Jurassic Parks all through the GTA.

However, the current Maple Leafs are on track to the Stanley Cup within three years, good Lord willin' and the river don't rise. Can they bring the youngsters back?
If I look around town to see what team sports people actually play this time of year, it's almost entirely soccer. Some people play baseball, mainly in the older, poorer parts of town, or in some smaller rural areas. There are a few rugby teams as well. I've yet to see anyone play basketball as part of a team at the few public locations available.

However, what people actually like to play doesn't seem to correspond well to what becomes a commercial success, at least not in Canada. The reason probably has to do with the structure of the market and the distance to areas with enough established professional teams to participate in commercially viable league play.

Toronto is happy with their basketball team at the moment because they look like they're winning, and winning isn't something Torontonians get to see a lot of. Go outside of the GTA though and it seems to be a big yawn about the whole affair.

How Ottawa is the classiest place to visit....... Just finishing up a contract here and thought I’d head in to town and what is the most eye catching thing I see? A native squatting and taking a dump by the Laurier bridge, at least it wasn’t a Frenchman......

If I look around town to see what team sports people actually play this time of year, it's almost entirely soccer. Some people play baseball, mainly in the older, poorer parts of town, or in some smaller rural areas. There are a few rugby teams as well. I've yet to see anyone play basketball as part of a team at the few public locations available.

However, what people actually like to play doesn't seem to correspond well to what becomes a commercial success, at least not in Canada. The reason probably has to do with the structure of the market and the distance to areas with enough established professional teams to participate in commercially viable league play.

Toronto is happy with their basketball team at the moment because they look like they're winning, and winning isn't something Torontonians get to see a lot of. Go outside of the GTA though and it seems to be a big yawn about the whole affair.
Canadian rugby sevens team is not to be sniffed at. Those boys are doing some damage. Hirayama and Moonlight are machines.

How Ottawa is the classiest place to visit....... Just finishing up a contract here and thought I’d head in to town and what is the most eye catching thing I see? A native squatting and taking a dump by the Laurier bridge, at least it wasn’t a Frenchman......
Well, @Guns has been missing lately.

I don't want to get into this discussion, but I actually don't know/ met a single Canadian friend of mine or colleague who was ever excited by basketball. And I know a ton of them having lived across the river from Canada...
I'm from Massachusetts and I never watch or follow basketball. As exciting as a paint drying contest. Much of the scoring is on penalty shots. Penalty shots in hockey are very ,very rare and exciting. The last time I went to a basketball game was 1965. I was a teen, my dad had just died and a family friend took me to a Boston Celtic game to cheer me up. I was too polite a kid to tell him how boring basketball can be.

As to the basketball finals, I do hope the Toronto Raptors win as Toronto deserves to win at something. My Godson is from Collingwood but now is at school in Waterloo. He has not seen the Maple Leafs win the Stanley cup in his lifetime. Actually they have not won it in his mother's or fathers lifetime. They deserve some win to take their minds off the Leafs.

Ice Hockey is exciting,I have season tickets for Harvard ice hockey (both men's and women's. I am less enthusiastic about the Boston Bruins this year as they traded the very nice young man from across the street from me to Minnesota in February. I was mad but it was a good thing for his career, little ice time in Boston, more in Minnesota and a surge in scoring for him. I still would like to see the Bruins win though. In the past year Boston teams won the World Series in October and the Super Bowl in February. Boston has not has a new national championship for the past 129 days, a long time and Boston deserves the win. An added advantage is that another Boston win will drive New York sports fans nuts.
Eat your hearts out New York.

I'm from Massachusetts and I never watch or follow basketball. As exciting as a paint drying contest. Much of the scoring is on penalty shots. Penalty shots in hockey are very ,very rare and exciting. The last time I went to a basketball game was 1965. I was a teen, my dad had just died and a family friend took me to a Boston Celtic game to cheer me up. I was too polite a kid to tell him how boring basketball can be.

As to the basketball finals, I do hope the Toronto Raptors win as Toronto deserves to win at something. My Godson is from Collingwood but now is at school in Waterloo. He has not seen the Maple Leafs win the Stanley cup in his lifetime. Actually they have not won it in his mother's or fathers lifetime. They deserve some win to take their minds off the Leafs.

Ice Hockey is exciting,I have season tickets for Harvard ice hockey (both men's and women's. I am less enthusiastic about the Boston Bruins this year as they traded the very nice young man from across the street from me to Minnesota in February. I was mad but it was a good thing for his career, little ice time in Boston, more in Minnesota and a surge in scoring for him. I still would like to see the Bruins win though. In the past year Boston teams won the World Series in October and the Super Bowl in February. Boston has not has a new national championship for the past 129 days, a long time and Boston deserves the win. An added advantage is that another Boston win will drive New York sports fans nuts.
Eat your hearts out New York.
I'm with ya there, David. Anything that drives the Noo Yawk sports fans nuts and makes them put on their frowny faces is OK with me.

Not according to the GTA Press, the Raptors are Canada's Team - when they are winning. The Leafs are Canada's Team - when they are winning. TFC are Canada's Team - when they are winning. The Blue Jays are Canada's team - when they are winning. The reality seems to be a little bit different though, having said that, if a Canadian Team whether it be Vancouver, Ottawa, or Montreal they are getting my support if they are playing against any team from the U.S.A.

, if a Canadian Team whether it be Vancouver, Ottawa, or Montreal they are getting my support if they are playing against any team from the U.S.A.
I agree, but i draw the line at Montreal, the day I support frogs will be the day I polish my knob with an angle grinder....,

Speaking of TFC.

My son was over from the UK last week and wanted to go watch TFC play. The tickets were $20 each, the beer price wasn't that bad and you got a proper 18oz worth. We were advised to watch from the supporters section,
this is the view when Toronto was attacking the goal at our end.
1560338119516.png

This is the view when TFC were attacking the other goal. Although the atmosphere was great the idiots with the flags were ffffffing annoying and ignorant. I don't mind the flags but Jesus Christ dudes when TFC are in the penalty area attacking goal put em down you clowns. We didn't see either goal and we ended up trying to watch it on the big screen
1560338266991.png

The chap standing up in the front is one of the "professional chanters' accompanied by two other guys with loud speakers and drums they encourage the fans to sing, and sing, and sing. My son, a lifelong Premier League Tottenham fan sniggered and shook is head.
1560338631813.png

Fair does to the club though, after the game the stadium stayed open and played the Raptors Game on the big screen and kept the beer stands open throughout that game as well.

Easy. Because I despise Toronto. Anything that gets that city hyped up just to see it crumble on them when they think they're on the cusp of greatness is just aces to me.

And remember, I'm a Leafs fan.
why would you despise a place. I get that if you don't like it you wouldn't want to live there. I'm not overly keen on Ottawa and Winnipeg, but I don't mind visiting I just wouldn't live there. I don't remember any other Canadian team in a championship this year, and I think this run is great.

Im a leafs fan too, but if another Canadian team makes the Stanley Cup I will be behind them.

I'm teasing a bit I have travelled a lot in Canada and everyone has a dig about Toronto, but I don't get why.

Hockey is on its way out, particularly amongst the younger crowd. The cost of having one son play from Timbits to Rep has become prohibitive. More if he (or she) plays goalie. Add to that losing franchises in the major markets, and the kids look elsewhere for champions. Basketball, popular with a large sector of new Canadians, has become the new cool thing. The Raptors have done in 24 years what the Leafs haven't done since... well, you know.

Hockey will always be popular, but one hasn't seen the excitement for a sports franchise in Toronto like what's happening now. Standing room only in Jurassic Parks all through the GTA.

However, the current Maple Leafs are on track to the Stanley Cup within three years, good Lord willin' and the river don't rise. Can they bring the youngsters back?
My son went from Timbits to rep hockey, and lacrosse all the way at the same time. An absolute fortune for sure.

To be clear, I don't care whether Toronto wins or loses. I find it intensely boring and really don't care. I only even heard the Toronto team were doing well because of the Toronto media hype recently. I couldn't even begin to guess where they stand right now or how that relates to their chances at the basketball equivalent to the Stanley Cup.

As for them being a Canadian team, a bunch of Americans performing in Canada doesn't make the team "Canadian".
If you aren't into sport I get it but for me I am proud to be Canadian and anything that puts our country or city in a positive position is a good thing. Plus it's fun to have a team in the playoffs let alone the finals.

As for the team not being "Canadians" very few top level professional teams in the world today can claim to be exclusively local.

why would you despise a place. I get that if you don't like it you wouldn't want to live there. I'm not overly keen on Ottawa and Winnipeg, but I don't mind visiting I just wouldn't live there. I don't remember any other Canadian team in a championship this year, and I think this run is great.

Im a leafs fan too, but if another Canadian team makes the Stanley Cup I will be behind them.

I'm teasing a bit I have travelled a lot in Canada and everyone has a dig about Toronto, but I don't get why.
Because Torontonians like to pretend that they live in a "world class" city.

Sorry, but it's still Hogtown as far as I'm concerned.

Lacrosse is a summer sport here too. Actually support for the Raptors has been steadily growing for years, most definitely among the millennial generation. For them the involvement of Drake has been a positive factor too.

Because Torontonians like to pretend that they live in a "world class" city.

Sorry, but it's still Hogtown as far as I'm concerned.
I lived downtown for years and I don't remember that attitude. When I travel the opinions seem to be based more on perception rather than reality.

Well it's a big place I'm sure you don't have to come here.

I lived downtown for years and I don't remember that attitude. When I travel the opinions seem to be based more on perception rather than reality.

Well it's a big place I'm sure you don't have to come here.
5 years since I've been through that hellhole, and long may it stay that way.