Things Canadian.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Singh is running for a safe seat. The area has a huge indo-Canadian population. Voting along ethnic lines isn’t new
Burnaby South has a population of 111,000. Of those, 42,000 are Chinese and 9,270 are South Asian (with 455 of the latter being Punjabi). That should favour a Chinese candidate, rather than a Sikh. And if Karen Wang (Liberal) had only kept her mouth shut about it, then it might have.
Liberal candidate in Burnaby byelection steps aside after singling out Singh's race
Wang wrote in a since-deleted post on Chinese social media platform WeChat that she was the “only” Chinese candidate in the riding, rather than Singh, who she identified as “of Indian descent,” StarMetro Vancouver reported.
“If we can increase the voting rate, as the only Chinese candidate in this riding, if I can garner 16,000 votes I will easily win the byelection, control the election race and make history! My opponent in this byelection is the NDP candidate Singh of Indian descent!” she said, according to the newspaper’s translation.
As it is, she had to resign over those statements. The Liberals are now fielding a new candidate, Richard Lee. Here are the photos of Wang and Lee. Spot the difference.

Lee is a former provincial MLA (member of provincial legislature, known as the "Legislative Assembly" in some provinces). Trudeau and various cabinet ministers have been showing up to campaign for him.

At the last election the NDP won the seat by only a 550 vote margin over the Liberals. If I were an NDPer, I wouldn't be counting my chickens just yet.

The Conservatives and the People's Party are both running candidates, but are given no chance. The Green Party aren't fielding a candidate out of a decision to follow the "leader's by-election courtesy" principle in this instance, which doesn't normally apply to parties which are not in government or the official opposition.

Wang had originally planned to run for the Conservatives, but switched to the Liberals when she didn't get their nomination for the upcoming general election (the by-election was called later). Despite what Wang said about being the only Chinese candidate, the Conservative candidate is Jay Shin. Going by the photo the Conservatives can apparently read riding demographic statistics as well as the Liberals can.

The People's Party on the other hand ... well here's Laura-Lynn Tyler Thompson. She will bring to the campaign her party's message that Canada risks becoming "too diverse". Have a look at the demographic statistics that I posted above when you contemplate her chances.

He will win the seat, but the nap will get nowhere with him at the helm, no public appeal it seems.
Jagmeet Singh is a former Ontario MPP, but was virtually invisible in the province outside of his own party and riding. He has maintained that record as head of the federal knee-dippers.

While the Liberals would prefer to win the by-election, I think that given his record they will be happy to see him in parliament where the public may get a good look at him and find him wanting. His support for Khalistani causes and past waffling on support for Sikh terrorism has not endeared him to many, or at least many of the few that know anything about him. He's currently on India's shit list and apparently is on their visa ban list. These are not the qualities I would pick for someone aspiring to be prime minister. Then again, I have to wonder if the NDP still really aspire to form the government, or if they have gone back to being a debating and social club now that Layton is dead and Mulcair is gone.

Meanwhile, the Conservatives are looking at some of their voter base being drained away by the People's Party. I suspect that this is what keeps the party leadership awake at night.

Unless something really big comes up, then I suspect the upcoming general election will see the Liberals returned with another majority. I'm not going to take any guesses as to the size of that majority, because quite frankly I didn't expect to see them get a majority at the last election until near the very end, and I was very wrong about that. I suspect though that if things remain more or less as they are now, there will be many fewer NDP, possibly a few People's Party (Bernier at least is seen as having a good chance), and possibly a number of Green Party MPs who win at the expense of the NDP.

It’s funny how Toronto seems the most hated place in Canada for Canadians. Personally I quite liked living there.
I lived in Toronto as well, but once you leave the city for other areas of the province, you realize that your taxes still contribute heavily to supporting its infrastructure while your locality gets sfa. Toronto when it was an independent city wasn’t that bad, but the GTA is just a giant clüsterfuck abortion sücking the rest of the province dry. They do have some fairly nice strip joints to their credit though.....

The first is the trailer for a film, and the second is a Strombo interview of the film makers.

I dunno. I thought the place was alright as a city to visit for a few weeks. But again, I am a big city guy currently in London and all non-Londoners love to bitch about this place.

That said, my fav city in Canada is Vancouver.

I dunno. I thought the place was alright as a city to visit for a few weeks. But again, I am a big city guy currently in London and all non-Londoners love to bitch about this place.

That said, my fav city in Canada is Vancouver.
I think you didn't quite get the vibe of those videos. It's not people in Toronto who think that Toronto sucks. It's people who don't live in Toronto who think that Toronto and Torontonians suck because the latter think they are the "centre of the universe". The movie didn't come up with this claim, it's been a common complaint about Torontonians for years.

Or in other words, people in Canada think about Toronto in the same way that people in the UK think about London.

Both in fact call their respective largest cities "the Big Smoke". I suspect that in Canada the name was simply copied from UK usage and applied to Toronto, as the air in Toronto is in fact fairly clean compared to most major cities elsewhere in the world, including London, and the name isn't justified on the basis of air quality itself.

I came to Toronto in 1996 and lived in the annex for about 8 years or so. I since lived a year in Brampton and the rest in Oakville. I have to say I've never heard it called the big smoke. I have travelled a lot and the weird thing is a lot of people say they hate but don't seem to really know why.

I think you didn't quite get the vibe of those videos. It's not people in Toronto who think that Toronto sucks. It's people who don't live in Toronto who think that Toronto and Torontonians suck because the latter think they are the "centre of the universe". The movie didn't come up with this claim, it's been a common complaint about Torontonians for years.

Or in other words, people in Canada think about Toronto in the same way that people in the UK think about London.

Both in fact call their respective largest cities "the Big Smoke". I suspect that in Canada the name was simply copied from UK usage and applied to Toronto, as the air in Toronto is in fact fairly clean compared to most major cities elsewhere in the world, including London, and the name isn't justified on the basis of air quality itself.
Well...the general trend I've found across the world in the places is that you either love big cities or you don't. Nothing wrong with that. But if you haven't/ don't actually live there and hate a place for something you don't quite understand, don't expect me to take you seriously. I couldn't live in a very quiet village for example. But I don't "hate" it. It's just not my thing - too quiet for my liking, that's all.

I've spent significant amounts of time in San Diego, Detroit, Ann Arbor, NYC, Chicago, London, Berlin, Sydney, Melbourne and Hong Kong and it's always the same reactions.

I came to Toronto in 1996 and lived in the annex for about 8 years or so. I since lived a year in Brampton and the rest in Oakville. I have to say I've never heard it called the big smoke. I have travelled a lot and the weird thing is a lot of people say they hate but don't seem to really know why.
I've heard it a few times. More common is "Hogtown", but most commonly simply "Trawna". Note to visitors from abroad, I would recommend pronouncing it as it is spelled rather than the mispronunciation mentioned here.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
**** Toronto and the ******* Leafs. *******.

I lived in Toronto as well, but once you leave the city for other areas of the province, you realize that your taxes still contribute heavily to supporting its infrastructure while your locality gets sfa. Toronto when it was an independent city wasn’t that bad, but the GTA is just a giant clüsterfuck abortion sücking the rest of the province dry. They do have some fairly nice strip joints to their credit though.....
I love how our taxes go sailing into the gaping maw that's the TTC. I've never ridden on it, I'll never, ever ride on it, yet I bet that I've probably already paid a lifetime's fare through my taxes.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer