Things Canadian.

Recently I have started to pay a lot more attention to things Canadian due to seeing my wife's Canadian relatives for the first time in 20yrs., First they end up with a cuck like Trudeau as PM but have thinkers of the highest order like Steyn and Peterson, what gives?

Maybe they just have a different political consensus to other countries? Stranger things have happened, you know.

Da leeberals on the Froggy side are apparently quite a force in Canuckistani politics. Does go some way towards explaining the disconnect. Those I work with reckon Trudeau is an arse of the first water but we did have one who was a bit fluffy and thought he was lovely for a while.

I've worked with numerous Canadians over the years, exchange officers mainly. Pretty much to a man & woman they were absolutely sh1t-hot people but all of them sung the same hymn about the place going to the dogs with political correctness (more so than the US of A, I believe).

One was from British Columbia and alluded to the city of Vancouver now being popularly called "Hong-couver"due to the population surge in our friends from the Far East.

My expeds to Canada have been f***ing awesome (Halifax, Nova Scotia, Calgary and Banff) and I love the place. A few years ago I had a job offer from the RCAF and I often now look back and think "What if........?"

People here bad mouth Justin, but the reality is nobody really cares. Parliament doesn’t have Corbyn or Trump in it, so compared to other western countries, we’re in pretty good shape politically. If Trudeau wants to hug some Indians with hurt feelings or give some Syrian a minimum wage job, so be it. Same guy is also fighting with the dirty hippies in BC to get an oil pipeline to the coast and is actually spending money on defence, so he’s trying at least rather than whining like politicians in other countries governments. Besides, the dude made weed legal......

I think Canada could be a formidable player on the international scene if it weren't for its bipolar personality. All the British Canadians I know would quite happily grant the Quebecois independence, dig a feck off trench and watch them float away into self-righteous oblivion.

They argue that French Canada contributes the square root of sod all to the GDP, which is why they have been tossed the public sector lifebelt. Without it, they'd all be unemployed and moaning even louder. As it is, you can't get a public sector job above a certain level (equivalent to Major) without being bilingual. This, of course, makes Canadian training courses a doddle. Listen to Mutt delivering the English version of a powerpoint slide, then relax and catch up on some shut eye whilst Jeff repeats exactly the same information in French (or their bastardised version of it) to an audience who all understood the English version.

Even the (real) French look regard them with suspicion.

Even the (real) French look regard them with suspicion.
Watching a French commander in a multinational formation listen to a Major from the Van Doos give a briefing in 'French', wince and say with exquisite condescension, "Let's stick with English, yes?" was just beautiful.

...One was from British Columbia and alluded to the city of Vancouver now being popularly called "Hong-couver"due to the population surge in our friends from the Far East...
Richmond is pretty much 100% Chinese these days.

I've been up there loads of times and found the average man in the street very agreeable. I love going there.

The only thing that occasionally gets on my tits is a minority that sneer down their noses at the US and take every opportunity to try and paint Canada as being superior to the US. It's not. It's just different, and I wish they'd get their heads round that.

I've had some most splendid times in Canada, and some great memories. Like one time I was there with my boss (from the UK), and one other from the US. There was some edict about keeping expenses down, so Andy made a point of telling us this. The sun was shining and we sat out in the little beer garden in a pub in Edmonton about 3PM. And proceeded to get blind drunk until kicking out time. The bill was $500 or something. As the senior guy, Andy had to pick up the tab :) Tom was so pissed he could barely walk back to the hotel. Truly three steps forward, one sideways and two back. :)

(...) One was from British Columbia and alluded to the city of Vancouver now being popularly called "Hong-couver"due to the population surge in our friends from the Far East. (...)
Significant Chinese immigration into BC goes back to the late 19th century so it's nothing new. It started with the gold rushes in BC and continued with the use of Chinese labour to build the western part of the CPR (trans-continental railway). Canada was known in China as "Gold Mountain" and apparently a storied land of riches. There was a lot of trade between Canada and China because the CPR was used to trans-ship goods between British treaty ports in China and the UK in the days before the Panama Canal. That meant there was regular passenger service, which in turn provided a route for continued immigration.

Vancouver was known for having a very large Chinese population by the 1970s, if not before. Most of them were from Hong Kong due to the Commonwealth connection. Canada, particularly Vancouver, was a top destination for emigration from Hong Kong, even before the big spike in the run up to the handover of Hong Kong to China. Canadian universities were also top destinations for students from Hong Kong in the mid to late 20th century.

The close association of "Hong Kong" with "Chinese" in the minds of Canadians dates from this historic connection even though most Chinese immigrants today come from elsewhere in China. I believe the "Hong-couver" label though, or at least its more widespread use, is a fairly recent phenomenon. It has to some extent (although not entirely - context is everything) a vaguely racist connotation stemming from blaming Chinese immigrants for the present high property prices in Vancouver.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Moved to the Canada forum

Canadian women are fantastic.

Had a Canadian GF and whatever we had been upto the night before, she always woke me up the morning after with a BJ.
I used to think that until I married one, a shâg is one thing , marriage wise, they aren’t that great......and ya, the morning bj wake up is an interesting Canadian trait among the ladies....

Trudeau is funny as PM. I saw a clip of him on You Tube actually weeping when he announced the death of his celebrity friend (whose name I forget) a year or two back. This is what Canadians want from their politicians, for them to get misty-eyed about the demise of an entertainment figure? I thought I had seen it all when the former goofball in the White House went on Jimmy Fallon's late night show and sang a number in front of the house band (and got a tongue bath from Jimmy as well) but Trudeau took a step downwards. ;-)

goofball_logo.gif

Last edited:
Trudeau is funny as PM. I saw a clip of him on You Tube actually weeping when he announced the death of his celebrity friend (whose name I forget) a year or two back. This is what Canadians want from their politicians, for them to get misty-eyed about the demise of an entertainment figure? I thought I had seen it all when the former goofball in the White House went on Jimmy Fallon's late night show and sang a number in front of the house band (and got a tongue bath from Jimmy as well) but Trudeau took a step downwards. ;-)

I had gathered you are of Native decent, so I figured he’d be right up your alley crying and trying to right every misdeed done by whitey to the indigenous peoples....