Things are getting warm.

I am going to be dead by the time it goes truly tits up, suck it up buttercups. Anyway, this isn't about saving the planet, we are a blip on the evolutionary trail. Once we have gone the way of the dinosaurs another evolutionary masterpiece will step up and continue the path to disappearing up a super red's sphincter.

ches

LE
Very sobering article, is the world going through one of it's cycles or have we well and truly f**ked it up?

I haven't heard from him in a while but a mate of mine going back a fair few years was/is a prof at a major UK uni. A pukka climatologist & was one of the many contributors/authors of the original UN climate change reports from the 90s (not 100% sure of when it was written). He, along with 100+ others sued the UN in a class action suit in the US demanding their names be removed from the report as they disagreed with the findings. The findings were the cataclysmic stuff we're now being preached about. His & his peers opinions were that data was needed for another 100+ years before any detailed computer models could be created as the geological life of the planet & its ecosystems was that old you needed a decent 'slice' of time to analyse. The up to now, limited data didn't allow such forecasts as made to be backed up by reliable data.
Imo a key problem with this CC lark is that the doom stories carry far more weight in the mainstream media cos it feeds into a main stream dumbing down of science while playing into a Hollywood type of disaster movie scenario that sells headlines & grabs attention.
There are more than a few very well respected climatologists who say that the natural cycles of the earths climate haven't been fully analysed to test what effect they have on the plant from a long term point of view. Again, the available data doesn't go back far enough.

If we all light candles and sing Kumbaya, things will be ok.

Won't it?
oooh...think of the CO2 and the fossil fuels that went in to make the candles, except if they are beeswax but then they are non-vegan as the bees have slaved to provide you with the candles….oh, no, no, no we can't have that.

I haven't heard from him in a while but a mate of mine going back a fair few years was/is a prof at a major UK uni. A pukka climatologist & was one of the many contributors/authors of the original UN climate change reports from the 90s (not 100% sure of when it was written). He, along with 100+ others sued the UN in a class action suit in the US demanding their names be removed from the report as they disagreed with the findings. The findings were the cataclysmic stuff we're now being preached about. His & his peers opinions were that data was needed for another 100+ years before any detailed computer models could be created as the geological life of the planet & its ecosystems was that old you needed a decent 'slice' of time to analyse. The up to now, limited data didn't allow such forecasts as made to be backed up by reliable data.
Imo a key problem with this CC lark is that the doom stories carry far more weight in the mainstream media cos it feeds into a main stream dumbing down of science while playing into a Hollywood type of disaster movie scenario that sells headlines & grabs attention.
There are more than a few very well respected climatologists who say that the natural cycles of the earths climate haven't been fully analysed to test what effect they have on the plant from a long term point of view. Again, the available data doesn't go back far enough.
Agreed.
There are however some long term sources of data:

Edit: planting one billion trees would reduce carbon dioxide to pre-Industrial levels. Why isn't that being done? It would create jobs, a source of timber, related industries, etc.

ches

LE
Agreed.
There are however some long term sources of data:

Yep agreed, but according to many climate boffins, without first hand collected data across the time band it is difficult & dangerous to base firm findings on such narrow strands of data. The data for analysis needs to come from multiple sources to allow firm accurate predictions. Imo this is key to the whole CC thing.

It's all very odd.

Its equally odd that my central heating came on this morning for no apparent reason.

Edit: planting one billion trees would reduce carbon dioxide to pre-Industrial levels. Why isn't that being done? It would create jobs, a source of timber, related industries, etc.
Land is the biggest issue, more is required for food etc. not enough for forests.

Agreed,

I've never been able to understand why "The hottest Jul since records began" is a big issue. Records are only 200 years old and modern man has been around for at least 300,000 years.

IIRC Romans used to grow grape vines when they first occupied the UK. Something that has not been able to be repeated possible until quite recently because of the cold weather.

Last edited:
oooh...think of the CO2 and the fossil fuels that went in to make the candles, except if they are beeswax but then they are non-vegan as the bees have slaved to provide you with the candles….oh, no, no, no we can't have that.

Oh.

Well that's me out of ideas. I'm off to put the BBQ on.

Heresy I tell you. Heresy.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Agreed,

I've never been able to understand why "The hottest Jul since records began" is a big issue. Records are only 200 years old and modern man has been around for at least 300, 000 years.

IIRC Romans used to grow grape vines when they first occupied the UK. Something that has not been able to be repeated possible until quite recently because of the cold weather.
Indeed. Some records only go back 30-40 years. Recording methods before then were primitive, but bigots take them at face value.

Other data goes back further. This morning's Golden Hour on Wave105 stated that 1992 was the driest year since 1740. What it didn't say was that between 1740 and very recently, Europe was covered in a cloud of soot from the industrial revolution. Then in the 1980s the Germans decided the soot was causing acid rain. Europe cleans up its act, the sun can get through. But it was drier 280 years ago. Similar applies to heat. The Fahrenheit and Centigrade scales only date back to the 1720s and 1740s respectively, so how can there be meaningful long term data from before the soot cloud?

Trees use water. Do that and the next bleat will be drought.
Trees also contribute to clouds, which give rain. The Sahara has no trees but that doesn't prevent drought. Brazil is going the way of Easter Island before life saving medicines can be discovered from plants and animals there.

ches

LE
Another thing that you're average reader of the doom news doesn't get is that the depletion of the ozone layer way back when was as a result of the crap spunked out during the industrial revolution, not the odd CFC out of an air freshener (not that banning CFCs wasn't a good thing). The media fails to ever report that 'bad' air particulates don't just go flying up to the ozone layer & fecking things up asap. Green house gas particles can take hundreds of years to reach the upper atmosphere when subjected to the usual wind currents around the globe.

Latest Threads