Thick skulled Cav officer.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by target_stop, Jul 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Morning,

    A quick question. I left the Army 3 weeks ago with out my 108?(the letter you get of your service). I went and spoke to the officer who was writting them and he said he had totally forgot as he is very busy. I thought not a problem the unit are in Afgan, fair enough. He told me to leave my phone number and he would contact me the next day and get all my details then forward it on to me in a week.

    Its been 3 weeks now and he avoids my calls,plus i have a friend at regiment who goes in to his office every day and asks him to call me, still nothing.

    I have had to give up 3 jobs as i have no proof i ever served or anything on my 11 year career. The companies said they understand but just cant take my word on it that i was a soldier.

    Can i go down a legal path to get this bloke arse in gear, he has chinned me off and its really ******* me over at the minute?

  2. Auld-Yin

    Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

    I hope he does "savvy" as I haven't a fecking clue what you are on about!
  3. Send key settings, over!
  4. Wordsmith

    Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

    Might be worth writing to those companies and getting them to reply that they'd have looked more favourably on your application had you had proof of your service. I doubt that they'll say they would have given you a job, but just confirmation that its an obstacle would put pressure on this officer.

    You could then let him know that you have the letters and will be officially forwarding copies to his senior officer for comment and help. I'm guessing that would reflect badly on him - and motivate him to return the documentation.

  5. Phone the RSM. It will be sorted the same day.
  6. The whole regiment are in Afgan though, thats my problem. If everyone was back i think i could get this nipped very schnel.
  7. The companies said if i could have proved it they would have took me on there and then. Thats whats so gutting. I guess i can call and see if they will send me the letters though. I have bugger all to lose.
  8. The guy needs his balls booting - no idea of the correct form if there is one but would reccommend the following:

    - Keep a diary of all the relevant contact you've had with him and your mate in RHQ.

    - Drop him a line with a polite but insistent email asking him to address the issue and agree to a deadline. CC his 1RO on this email.

    - If he does not respond, or misses the deadline then get in touch with the 1RO directly and take it from there.

    Any difficulties relating to your discharge & resettlement are theirs, not yours regardless of where they are. You are entitled to the report and to get on with your new life.... Good luck!
  9. Doesn't your equivalent of "REMRO" send a red book detailing your service? Times have changed if it is the unit that handles this, and for the worse as there is absolutely no way to ensure a consistence approach is taken, and introduces the potential to allow personal judgement.

    That said, in just THREE weeks, THREE companies have interviewed you, and offered you a job, then withdrawn it because you cannot produce a form/letter (which they probably know nothing about anyway) which is nothing more than a 'reference'?

    You have payslips, don't you? Like the most recent one which shows pay and emollients for the entire year to dat?

    in 15 years I've yet to see a company that insists you enclose references with an application/CV, let alone bring them to interview, other than perhaps the contact details of referee's in the event of an offer being made, and the contract of employment being subject to satisfactory references.

    Are you sure that you have the right end of the stick? "Unable to prove service" because of a bit of paper? Show them a pay statement.
  10. chrisg46

    chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

    While not knowing more about what this refers to than others, the first thought that came to mind was "Blackmail". Wrong?
  11. Wordsmith

    Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

    Don't ask for proof they would have offered you a job - I doubt you'll get it. Just get then to confirm that not having proof of employment was a major obstacle to them employing you. That way there's no legal comeback on the company.

    If you have a contact name for someone in HR, I'd be inclined to ring first and tell them you want the letter to put pressure on your officer. If they know why you want the letter, they'll probably be more relaxed about giving you it.

    But don't threaten your officer with them. Just say that you'll be contacting him and his superior with evidence that lack of your form is hurting your employment prospects. All open and above board - recently discharged soldier doing things correctly through official channels.

  12. Yes, i am doing close protection and trying to get out to the middle east. With out the proof i have done tours they cant help me. I think the red book went out the window a few years ago. Its the Sqn 2ic who is writting the letter.
  13. you are amanfromMars and i claim my 5 gronda's
  14. Is there an OC rear party? A letter of complaint to a Brigadier, Regimental Colonel, or RHQ would probably unleash a torrent of shit.
  15. Call your 'desk' in Glasgow?