Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They're behind you!

I was alerted to this by a deeply unnerving review by Victoria Coren Mitchell in which she showed no real perception of the apparent content of what she was reviewing: "I was delighted to see that the National Lottery will support the London Palladium in staging a “best of” panto compilation for three weeks this December, hosted by Julian Clary. The Lottery will buy all the seats that need to be left empty for distancing reasons. I find this a touching and lovely gesture; it put a lump in my throat, if that isn’t too risky a phrase in the context of Julian Clary."
TELEMMGLPICT000241514440_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqhpL9wIsx6QnAoaHzcNRkTqjmIvzgAl472r4tSZQS7X4.jpeg

This is apparently 'the best of Panto'. I'm getting old, but even I remember Panto being an occasion when racial political propaganda wasn't thrust down the throats of the youngsters in the audience. Ok, homosexuality, transexuality and cross-dressing, was, but, ok, well... I shan't be taking my son to any of these displays, even if the bugger's 30, and RLC, and disgustingly heterosexual.

Disgusting.

(Mind you, if 'Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves' is showing, I'll attend to shout 'Allahu Akhbar' at the right moments).

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ashley f'kin Banjo? Count me out!

I hadn't counted earlier, but I think the top row of that photograph has (possibly) eight Persons of Colour - black - out of ten. The others are just woofterish actors and some with an arm up their arrse, and don't count.

Multiculturism ain't what it used ter be.

Mike Barton

On ROPS
On ROPs
I hadn't counted earlier, but I think the top row of that photograph has (possibly) eight Persons of Colour - black - out of ten. The others are just woofterish actors and some with an arm up their arrse, and don't count.

I can't see any obviously white guys in the back row.

And only one woman? Come on, one of the few enjoyable bits of panto for the dads in the audience was surely the fit young birds prancing on stage, aren't we even allowed that any more?

By my estimate, the National Lottery is buying up about 1500 seats for 40 performances at £25 each. That's £1,500,000. 18 performers plus an unknown number of other staff. Let's say that the Lottery is effectively paying each performer £50,000 for the month (as well as putting cash into The Palladium's coffers).

Puts a whole new slant on supporting charities.

ste14w

Old-Salt
By my estimate, the National Lottery is buying up about 1500 seats for 40 performances at £25 each. That's £1,500,000. 18 performers plus an unknown number of other staff. Let's say that the Lottery is effectively paying each performer £50,000 for the month (as well as putting cash into The Palladium's coffers).

Puts a whole new slant on supporting charities.
Exactly. I remember all the hype in the early nineties, the Lottery was supposed to help people in need, charities, the local Boy Scouts, etc.
This is getting beyond stupid now.

Exactly. I remember all the hype in the early nineties, the Lottery was supposed to help people in need, charities, the local Boy Scouts, etc.

Excuse me, you missed out the Veterans Social and Travel Charity.

Me and some muckers on the lash in Benidorm for a week!

Victoria Coren Mitchell

Do you think there’s going to be another national lockdown? I was rather hoping the rules would relax as we head towards the festive season because I so love a traditional, live Christmas performance. I love the flamboyant costumes, the jolly singalongs and the helpless giggling at double entendres. And then, after church, I sometimes go to a pantomime....

You've got to admit it, the girl has a sense of humour.

And arts and sports
It was about funding ‘community projects’ and ‘good causes’
Including but not exclusive to charities

Maybe if Panto wanted to get PC, they would ensure the Principal Boy was a young male, the widow was really a widow, and ugly sisters were unattractive siblings?
And the Dame really was somebody honoured by Her Majesty?
I'd pay good money to see Louise Ellman on stage, arguing that even though it APPEARS to be behind her, she is aware of its presence, and is facing it head on.

White men can't dance?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Victoria Coren Mitchell

You've got to admit it, the girl has a sense of humour.
She came to our attention presenting Balderdash and Piffle, investigating odd words that ought to be in the dictionary. Episode 1 was going to look at Mackem (among others). As an admin of the Sunderland website Ready To Go, it came to my attention very early.

I e-mailed her and explained how the noble tribes of Durham had fought the Roman legions to a standstill and they couldn't face the smelly neighbours over the river, so they decided to call a truce and build a wall to keep the Geordies north of the river where they belonged.

However, a wall needed builders and the legionaries had all renounced fighting after the kicking they'd had in Durham, so they opened Italian restaurants in Sunderland instead. They scoured the land looking for experienced masons. When asked, could they build a wall, the reply was always, "Aye, we can mack em."

And so the term passed into Latin as mackum (declines like bellum) and eventually passed back into ancient English as mackem. Cheers easy.

Bitch didn't even acknowledge the e-mail. I haven't spoken to her since.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
She came to our attention presenting Balderdash and Piffle, investigating odd words that ought to be in the dictionary. Episode 1 was going to look at Mackem (among others). As an admin of the Sunderland website Ready To Go, it came to my attention very early.

I e-mailed her and explained how the noble tribes of Durham had fought the Roman legions to a standstill and they couldn't face the smelly neighbours over the river, so they decided to call a truce and build a wall to keep the Geordies north of the river where they belonged.

However, a wall needed builders and the legionaries had all renounced fighting after the kicking they'd had in Durham, so they opened Italian restaurants in Sunderland instead. They scoured the land looking for experienced masons. When asked, could they build a wall, the reply was always, "Aye, we can mack em."

And so the term passed into Latin as mackum (declines like bellum) and eventually passed back into ancient English as mackem. Cheers easy.

Bitch didn't even acknowledge the e-mail. I haven't spoken to her since.
Perhaps try again, this time without sending the dick pic?

Slime

LE

The top row are the group Diversity from what I can see.
They are the group who became famous from (I think) Britain’s got talent, and who recently performed a dance in support of BLM.

..something for the mums.

Latest Threads