They Shall Not Grow Old

Seen......Hank yew, it still doesn't scan, must be the old fart PoV.
Fair dues, but given post 14, I think you've missed the point of who PJ (and future IWM marketing) is aiming at. You and I are irrelevant for what future generations may (or may not) connect with, support and sustain, unless we can inform, engage and positively motivate them. (Future CGWC budget anyone?)

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Got tickets for the showing at Greenwich Picturehouse tonight.

Excellent film. Could have done without the red carpet luvvie/celeb bit at the beginning and we left before the Q&A bit at the end, which sounded like it would be more luvvieness.

After seeing it, WW1 is no longer a monochrome war for me. Although there was a fair bit of monochrome imagery, the excellent addition of colour made it very close to home. I suspect some bits might have even been redone in 3D, based on the wobbliness of some of the imagery, which I don't think was entirely due to the age of the stuff.

Lots of footage I've never seen before as well, which was very interesting.

It ran through the war from just before the declaration to coming home after the armistice, with no specific mention of any one battle. Just the Western Front though, nothing on Gallipoli or the Middle East for example.

I think BBC are showing it on Armistice Sunday. If they are then watch it, you will be glad you did.

It ran through the war from just before the declaration to coming home after the armistice, with no specific mention of any one battle. Just the Western Front though, nothing on Gallipoli or the Middle East for example.
Target audience again? I'd postulate that most Brits who know little about WWI identify it even less with sand and flies than they might with mud and barbed wire.

Target audience again? I'd postulate that most Brits who know little about WWI identify it even less with sand and flies than they might with mud and barbed wire.
Not sure. It was certainly aimed at the wider audience, not a historian looking for specific detail, a general run through of the experiences of the troops in France.

Rest assured there was plenty of flies, mud and barbed wire. Much more footage of the dead and injured than you normally see as well. Bit of harsh reality for the younger generation? It's certainly a candidate for use as classroom material for 'A' level history for instance.

If you had hung around for Mark Kermode interviewing Peter Jackson he said that they had hours and hours of footage from all areas of WW1 so he made a conscious decision to concentrate purely on the Western Front rather than thinly spreading the time across them all. He only had funding for 30 mins I think but managed to eke it out to create the about 90 min film. I think the hope is they might get more funding to complete more about other theatres of the war. The Q&A was quite good actually and not at all a luvvie fest.

For anyone in the Halifax/Huddersfield area.
The recently refurbished Square Chapel Art Centre will be having a large screen showing of 'They Shall Not Grow Old'.
Just opposite the Rail Station with an excellent bar with cask ales and food.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just watched it. The old boys - who were, of course young boys - having all passed, it was moving. I assume everyone else spotted the number of VCs, MCs, and MMs among the contributors in the credits?

The change in tone between volunteering and the end was also markedly obvious.

Still on iPlayer: give it a go.

A little humbling to hear a bloke talking about going along to the join up at the same place I did 75ish years later, more so to realise that he was one who went on to earn a VC.

I down loaded it for mother today and I sat down on my own this afternoon to watch, haven't spoken to mum yet, but that was stunning!! Everything said on here I agree with, bit dusty in my house.