They open-fired on us!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by CRmeansCeilingReached, Sep 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. from a BBC survey about grammatical misuse http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7595509.stm

any thoughts...? :?

2. Nope. None. Zilch. Nada. ;)

3. The dictionary references are all rather lengthy, but seem to confirm that there is:

1) open-fire (noun)
    2) controlled-fire (noun)

and

3) "to open fire" (verb) .. meaning to begin firing. The past tense of which is opened fire.

That pedant seems to have posted that elsewhere (or his post copied to other sites).

4. Shouldn't it then read, "The opened open-fire on us"?

Always assuming that the fire was the open-fire variety and not the controlled-fire type. (Is it that easy to tell when you're on the receiving end?)

Should probably be "upon", rather than "on". edit: No, it should be "at".

Don't really care, anyway. I don't work for the BBC.

5. The BBC may criticise others when its own presenters stop saying Canida instead of Canada.

Harumph!

6. ... and they open upped on us? :)

7. The sheer indignity of it all. Not only are you under fire but the buggars are using incorrect grammar whilst doing so!

Harumphhhhhh

8. They opened up fire upon us?

This chap is more wrong than a whole bag of wrong things, tied up wrong and thrown into the wrong canal. Perchance he could explain the difference between open and controlled fire? Is he suggesting that we may be liable to indulge in uncontrolled fire?

9. How about "They started shooting at us"?

10. Seems to cover all the bases well. Bloody pedants.

11. Probably just taking pity on Will.

12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Tw4t let rip at me so I brassed the choggie cunt right up

Does that help?

13. I don't know, but I'd like to open fire at JWTH in Belfast, preferably with a GPMG. :roll:

14. "They initiated the kinetic contact situation."....sorted.

15. I dunno why, but I've this image in me head of you ducking down in a dust ditch somewhere with rounds cracking overhead and discussing this with your nearest oppo. :D :D :D

MsG