They Look at me Differently

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by exbleep, Dec 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Remember when you were serving and you came across someone who used to be in the Army, possibly the same trade, and you thought "What a knackered old bugger, glad it's all changed"?
    Well, attending a reunion a couple of weeks ago and found I was now the knackered old bugger. Now, we know that we were God's Chosen People. The things we did, whether on ops (very limited then) or in the pub (not so limited) were the most hilarious and outrageous things anyone could ever get up to. However, recounting the most hiliarious story of how we wrecked a bar in Famagusta was met with a glazed look from some of the youngsters present, as if it was a different age. Recounting the stories of patrols in bandit country of S Armagh or the how we sh!t ourselves on the first time we dropped into X-M-Glen were met with glazed looks of, well, I can only describe it as apathy.
    I remember looking at those who regaled us with stories of when they were in Swaziland or on R&R in Mombasa etc with the same looks these young warriors were giving me about my time in the Falklands (ancient history to some - would you believe one of them wasn't even born in 1982? - some of the others were still undergoing potty training).
    No matter how many times I tried to tell them we were so good at our job that the Russkis daren't attack and we were the only thing standing between the might of 3 Shock Army and the destruction of the Western way of life, I could still sense the pitying looks from these youngsters. Now, I don't quite smell of wee or, even, dribble that much when I'm in company but having them bring me pints to my table (as if I couldn't be trusted to get all the way to the bar and back by myself without spilling half the glass) sort of rankled a little bit. No matter that I forged a successful career after leaving the Army and becoming a (though I say it myself) quite well thought of Captain of Industy, the looks were still almost pitying and very, very condescending.
    Just because my, ahem, gut, tends to stick over my belt nowadays, I still regard myself as one of lifes warriors. Just because Guinness is responsible for my, shall we say, slightly portly demeanour, I did go through all the things they do now in the BFT/CFT (they had a quick giggle at that because of my old-fashioned terminology) and, whilst I was one of the instigators of bringing in IT/Computer useage into our old trade, they now tell me they actually put in travel claims/LOA claims/"expenses" claims directly into a computer system without filling in forms which we knew the numbers off by heart.
    I did have a great night meeting all the ex old and bold I served with. One of the young sprogs I taught in trade training had just been promoted to WO1 but, the most galling thing of all, one those I trained had just retired after finishing his 22! Glad to say, he was being looked at as one of the knackered old buggers even though he'd only been out for 6 months! It comes to us all, it comes to us all.

2. I guess it's the circle of life, the young thrusters of today will face the same look of mild boredom when they tell their tales of Iraq and Afghanistan in due course.

3. God yes, the realisation that a lad who joined when I left would have his 22 up six months ago. Where did the immortality of youth go? While we stood up to Ivan the lads today get shot at, how does that compare?
    Yet they too will be (slightly) older one day and the new generation facing up to the new tasks.
    Just hope the casualty rate drops.

4. Tu fui, ego eris.

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Hows this, Just as I was getting ready to leave due to my feet being re arranged and now facing backwards. They were building in Blandford a highly secure compound for the brand new top secret best there ever will be in the world comms system, apparently it was going to be called Ptarmigan!

6. I'm in the curious situation of being a recruit (TA) 22 years after I was a recruit first time (TA)

Showing a keen interest and good knowledge of NBC, sorry, CBRN, raises a few eyebrows in today's army I can tell you!

Everybody looks at me a bit odd! :)

7. Ah! exbleep, you have discovered that life imposes humility upon us all as we age. The more years that you add, the more humble pie you will eat, though you do get used to the taste of it. The realisation will come upon you at about the age of seventy or so.

Life does have its compensations though. As I see my young neighbours heading off in their Range Rovers to fight the corporate war and indulge in a day of one upmanship, I am heading off to the boat for a couple of days fishing, drinking and laughing with a couple of other old fogeys. Do we care? Do we feck. :wink:

8. No more heroes -The Stranglers should play in the background upon opening this thread :D

9. Turn? What's this turn thing? We were able to sort of steer a bit when we got the brand new XK 'chutes. Turn? I don't know, don't know they're born, mumble, mumble, ... :roll:

10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

That is sooooooo 1970's :cry:

11. We used T-10Cs and MC1-1Bs back in 1988 - 1996. You "slipped" with T-10s and steered with the -1Bs (since those had toggles).

My sig line reflects my era's "3 Rules of the Air" and explains my screen name, Lower_Jumper. It's typically evident among U.S. Paratroopers.

12. Bugger all that, just sit there with the 1000 yard stare and accept drinks off the young whippersnappers.

13. reading this thread reminded me so much of 1993, I had just completed my service of almost 38 years and was being dined out in the Corps Mess, and when the Colonel mentioned that I had served the Corps for a couple of months short of 38 years, a young one at the dinner, with only about 4 years service, was heard to say, my God, surely nobody stays in the Army for that long. I spoke to her after the dinner, and she asked me why I had served for so long, and when I told her I loved the Army life, as did my wife and our three kids, the moving between postings, the people we met, the friendships we made, and the difference between us and civilians, who just moved sometimes and were never remembered even by their closest neighbours, and how we met people at reunions that we hadnt seen for many years and just took up where we left off, that is mateship, and it cant be beaten, and is found nowhere else except in the defence forces. :D :D :D
    She still did not understand, and I guess would not have stayed much past another year before she is one of those boring civilians again and will probably never attend a reunion either

14. reading this thread reminded me so much of 1993, I had just completed my service of almost 38 years and was being dined out in the Corps Mess, and when the Colonel mentioned that I had served the Corps for a couple of months short of 38 years, a young one at the dinner, with only about 4 years service, was heard to say, my God, surely nobody stays in the Army for that long. I spoke to her after the dinner, and she asked me why I had served for so long, and when I told her I loved the Army life, as did my wife and our three kids, the moving between postings, the people we met, the friendships we made, and the difference between us and civilians, who just moved sometimes and were never remembered even by their closest neighbours, and how we met people at reunions that we hadnt seen for many years and just took up where we left off, that is mateship, and it cant be beaten, and is found nowhere else except in the defence forces. :D :D :D
    She still did not understand, and I guess would not have stayed much past another year before she is one of those boring civilians again and will probably never attend a reunion either

15. Im far too young to comment but my sisters kid did a project on war and had me up at her school as her 'piece', I looked ace, especially as one spotty youth had dragged his Dad up to talk about his role in 'recruitment'..I was also a whisker away from f*cking a teacher but 3 dates in I got leathered and dropped her mobile into a glass of Rose to shut her up..

I dread getting older, I have the mind of a ten year old and the sexual urges of a hormone challenged bull, when the day arrives that I cant get erect without a finger massaging my sweet spot it will be a one way trip to the barn with a gas cooker and a craft knife..