'They just work'

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Yeoman_dai, Nov 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well they do - Apple stuff I mean. No arguing with it, certainly more than others.

However, I have a question to pose for the denzins of this site - the reason often given that Apple products work so well is that the iOS and the hardware is both designed by the same company, and both are designed to work specifically with the other.

See now Windows is making it's own hardware - the Surface - maybe WIndows 8 will see it catch up in terms of usability and ease of use?

Despite being a vocal vocal Mac supporter I am about to buy a Dell or Sony Windows 8 laptop, and when I come to change my phone i'll probably go Nokia...

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

sorry - why are you even considering going non-mac for computer and phone?? surely their products are the last word...especially in value for money. ahem.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I wish i had as much disposable income as you do :'(

4. Single Junior Officer and Naval Orphan to boot. Plus i'm going sandy places soon (not the normal sandy place, the old one) so that's as good as excuse as any for a new media machine!

That isn't the point, the POINT is do we think now Microsoft is making the hardware and software will they overtake Apple?

5. Microsoft is already ahead of Apple with software...

6. R0B

R0B Clanker

But if you buy a Dell or Sony you still won't get the OS and hardware from a single vendor so no different to XP on any other Intel box. You could run Windows on your Mac with VMware, VirtualBox or Parralells if you just want to give Windows a try and you only have to haul one machine around.

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

that didnt strike me as being the thrust of your original post. and from what I can see with the pricing, at least at this time, the answer would be 'no', as MS seem to be pitching the Surface at the same price level (ie, overpriced) as the ipad.
    the apple sheep will keep drinking cupertino's kool-aid and buying their overpriced, locked down tat (and being held to ransom for content)...anyone who hasnt got more money than brains will either get a laptop or an Android tablet (or a chromebook, or a kindle fire), depending on what their needs are.

8. I saw a laptop running Windows 8 at the Best Buy store today and was impressed. Touch screens are the way forward it seems. Having just went Win 7 Pro though I believe I will wait for a bit to buy a new OS upgrade. As for Mac, no one should have the kind of money that Apple is asking for their laptops; it's not "fair" and "equitable" :p

Best Buy Computer.JPG

9. Apple products are shite. (Isn't it also the preferred brand of the Iranian Navy?)

10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well they do like the our issue isurrender kit, do they still come preloaded with 'ayatolla khomeni the chas and dave' album?

11. We have a contract with a major oil firm to supply e-learning training deliverd on Mocrosofts "The Surface". We got a couple of them in for trials...and they are both broken! One is a software issue the other is that the removable keyboard has only half the buttons working. Considering both machines are less than 2 weeks old, I don't hold out much hope.

We also develop for the iPad...never have an issue.

12. I have used Apples for years in my work (design/e-learning) and they have always been top notch. Expensive, yes, but never went wrong, unlike the Dells we use just now.

I am not a fan of Apples "commercial" products such as the iphone and so on as you are paying for the name and in the rush to hit the market, short cuts have been made, but it is impossible to say that Apple have not revolutionised the way we work and live. Even if you do not own an ipad/iphone, I bet you own somethiong that was released to compete against them.

13. Apple products are for spoiled kids and trendy dim ***** in thick rimmed specs!

14. Say what you like about apple software / company attitude etc, the industrial design in their pre-retina MBPs simply outclasses anything else on the market. For somebody who values the quality of their tools more than they do ready cash there is simply nothing to match a unibody MBP that hasn't had it's innards soldered or glued in.

There is also no other make that equips their machines with a battery management chip which allows you to plug it in whenever its convenient without shagging the battery out (I'm amazed that other makes haven't come up with something similar for something so mission-critical to a laptop, apart from that Apple may have this patent well sewn up for the time being).

There are plenty of upgrade kits available for the inside a unibody MBP but Apple will probably stop repairing damaged MBP screens long before the aluminium chassis develops any kind of maintenance issue.

If you must use Windows or Linux for whatever reason then, well, you can.