They got their £20m anyway....

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by MrTracey, May 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MTD Budgets look shaky, cuts on their way - you heard it here first.

Two tier TA, here we come.

In the OCP? You'll get money. Not in? You won't.

They got their £20m anyway.

2. Hmm I would have lost money on that! What did you expect?

3. No surprise here other than that it looks like it will be within the first three months of the FY, not some way down the line when the rest of the public sector are being whipped by Cleggy and Camerflage

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Ths was always on the cards. Mind you, there is one element that LAND have not factored in - and that's how a new government, with a fair sprinkling of Reservists, will react, once it gets its act together.

Pretty much the only thing keeping the TA from dismemberment and ultimately disbandment (apart from the influence wielded by the TAVRAs/RFCAs, which is not to be underestimated either) a few years ago was the lobbying by politicians; it could be their hope in the future as well.

5. Hmmm I would have hoped that, given Gordon's desparate backtrack late last year when the news of TA cuts broke, the new Govt would have realised that cutting the funding to the reserves whilst they are being deployed and used in such a way was A Bad Thing, both in terms of the reservists produced and PR with the public...

I had thought we might have a re-run of that episode but had thought it would come at least at the end of this year, when the money had run dry - to implement it at the beginning of the year as SOP seems particularly vicious :/

6. sorry for being dumb but what is ocp?

7. Operational commitments plot I think... Might have the wording wrong but I believe it's basically what units are going on tour, when.

8. And the way things are starting to pan out in westminster its a good stick with which to beat the coalition over the head with.

'Our brave boys' etc, but if it doesn't pan out not that many people will be directly effected- 30,00 ish so its a win-win for the politicans.

9. Its when you do things like hoovering five times a day, constantly washing your hands, etc.

10. :D

11. Judging from what I am hearing, we'll need the RFCA again and quick. Not least as this seems to be self inflicted - not sure Liam Fox can be aware at this stage.

12. so what about units deploying 5/6 indivduals?

13. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Consumer_Products

14. Robostab on its way?

We could perhaps do with a few in our unit, we never seem to get anyone in these days. We are still parading every other week though and even I have lost track of what night we are parading on.

Seriously think the TA needs a bit of a drastic shake up anyway to come more into line with what the regulars do and be represenative of current ops instead of practicing old cold war stuff and living for the social events as an excuse to get mess dress on (That doesnt apply to everyone).

15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This has nothing to do with Whitehall, the MOD, or the Government. It's a savings measure made to help LAND balance their books - which are as awful as the rest of the MOD, I would imagine.

I doubt very much whether this has even got to Ministers or, if it has, it would probably have been disguised as something anodyne along the lines of "TA Funding next year will be the same as last year" - omitting to add that last year was a dog's breakfast - and slipped through before the old regime departed.