They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by geezer466, Feb 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Respect to the old gentleman RIP

Edward Pool - Telegraph

pool_2471756b.jpg

Loved this bit....

Edward Pool - Telegraph

• Like Like x 1
  2. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Whats the collor dogs his parent units?

3. 7 Para was previously the Somerset Light Infantry.

4. My superb eyesight leads me to suspect it's Irish Fusiliers, but then the obituary says it

5. Looks like you have it.

[​IMG]

6. These obituaries should be required reading in schools and then some of the little scroats who think it fun to attack old geezers may find some respect.

• Like Like x 3
  7. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Although it does warm the heart when they pick on the wrong old geezer who just happens to be an ex army boxer! My mum worked in an old peoples home and I used to pop in and see her and have a chat with the old boys in there loved the stories they told and certainly gave me a much greater respect for the older generation than I already had.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

Unfortunatly they are all passing of the square now and the kids are not getting there wisdom.
    I used to love it when my grandad and great uncles mates popped by. It was the only time i heard him swear and they would let me in and give me a half pint of mild. He died on xmas day 1973 there were over 300 people at his funeral and wake.

Sent by Crapatalk. Sitting on my bog having a dump.

9. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

I just remembered a story told to me by an old ww1 soldier about training for an invasion somewhere in belgium.
    I just looked it up
    http://www.1914-1918.net/hush.htm

10. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

One of the old boys I knew had been a pre war regular in the Scots Greys and they done a tour in IIRC 36 on horseback for recruitment anyway I had a book with a pic of it in it anyway by pure chance I'd given him a loan of the book and my mum told me his face lit up when he'd seen it as there he was on horseback as a full screw he went on to be come one of the first Commando's as well awesome old bloke.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

That must of made his day