• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore

Respect to the old gentleman RIP

In the early hours of June 6 1944, Pool, a platoon commander serving with the 7th Battalion the Parachute Regiment, was dropped near Le Port, a small village close to what is now Pegasus Bridge. His battalion had been ordered to hold the western approach to the bridge, which crossed the Caen Canal at Bénouville.
Edward Pool - Telegraph

pool_2471756b.jpg

Loved this bit....

On one occasion, racing his Bugatti, he overturned the car on a bend. An ambulance crew rushed to his aid and asked him if he was hurt. They were momentarily perplexed when he replied: “I’m fine except that I’ve broken my ruddy leg.” It was the wooden one.
Edward Pool - Telegraph

Although it does warm the heart when they pick on the wrong old geezer who just happens to be an ex army boxer! My mum worked in an old peoples home and I used to pop in and see her and have a chat with the old boys in there loved the stories they told and certainly gave me a much greater respect for the older generation than I already had.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Although it does warm the heart when they pick on the wrong old geezer who just happens to be an ex army boxer! My mum worked in an old peoples home and I used to pop in and see her and have a chat with the old boys in there loved the stories they told and certainly gave me a much greater respect for the older generation than I already had.
Unfortunatly they are all passing of the square now and the kids are not getting there wisdom.
I used to love it when my grandad and great uncles mates popped by. It was the only time i heard him swear and they would let me in and give me a half pint of mild. He died on xmas day 1973 there were over 300 people at his funeral and wake.

Sent by Crapatalk. Sitting on my bog having a dump.

One of the old boys I knew had been a pre war regular in the Scots Greys and they done a tour in IIRC 36 on horseback for recruitment anyway I had a book with a pic of it in it anyway by pure chance I'd given him a loan of the book and my mum told me his face lit up when he'd seen it as there he was on horseback as a full screw he went on to be come one of the first Commando's as well awesome old bloke.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the old boys I knew had been a pre war regular in the Scots Greys and they done a tour in IIRC 36 on horseback for recruitment anyway I had a book with a pic of it in it anyway by pure chance I'd given him a loan of the book and my mum told me his face lit up when he'd seen it as there he was on horseback as a full screw he went on to be come one of the first Commando's as well awesome old bloke.
That must of made his day

Sent by Crapatalk. Sitting on my bog having a dump.

Latest Threads