Thesis Proposal - Comparison of the Combat Estimate

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Trinners, Nov 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gentlemen,

I'm undertaking a part-time MSc in Strategic Management and have started the thesis process. I've narrowed down my topics to 2 areas.

1. A comparison of the Combat Estimate with business strategy planning approaches. In what way are they similar / different? What are the implications of these differences? Does it make one tool more ameanable to some situations then others?

Possibly narrowing it down to Q5 - What resources do I need to achieve each action/effect? and using the CE format as a tool for implementation in the RBV process.

2. Leadership Ethos in the Organisational Structure / Culture. Looking at
    Non-Directive Leadership, Leadership v Managing.

Ideally I'd like to touch base with individuals who have a good understanding of the CE / 7 Q's and who would of gone on to perhaps adapt the concepts for business purposes. Any guidance from a business or academic POV would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Trinners

2. :x

3. Make sure you learn some English first!

4. *hangs head in shame*

Can I blame a weekend of searching through McKinsey, HBR and other journals for my poor choice of words?

5. No.

6. Combat Estimate/7Qs is too prescriptive and relies on the decison maker being the supported authority.
    Tactical Estimate is based on the same format as the Operational Estimate, but assumes campaign planning concepts are already decided

Operational estimate is a logical problem solving process to be applied in uncertain dynamic environemts against shifting, competing or ill defined goals, often in high stake, time pressured situations:
    Six Steps:
    1. Review the Situation
    2. Identify and Analyse the problem
    3. Formulation of Potentisl CoAs
    4. Development & Validation of CoAs
    5. CoA Evaluation
    6. Commander's decison and Plan Development

A lot more sensible for civdiv and appropriate if you are a sub con or service provider also

JDP5-00 and AFM Vol 1 will have enough bedtime reading in

7. In what way is the CE/7Q too prescriptive? And why can't it be applied in "uncertain dynamic environments against shifting, competing or ill defined goals, often in high stake, time pressured situations"?

8. Agree (sort of) with AshPlant. The operational estimate, as described by SMP, could be applied to any problem either military or civilian without any time pressure, or indeed any other pressure.

We always get a cock stand over the Estimate (aka Appreciation) - it is merely a logical problem solving process optimised for a military problem. The basis of the process can be used to solve any problem, simply ensure you account for all relevant factors and deduce accordingly.

Hope this helps.

9. when a sub contractor and in a supporting role, not being supported is a little tricky.

OE is has more application with OOTW, as you don't have to rephrase/reframe Questions 1& 3 in terms of who/what your enemy is or isn't.
    as the OP was refering to strategic management and civdiv, OE fits the bill much better than the 7Qs which are a little more tactical/kinetic trended.

OE is the prefered approach on UK Ops/MACA when supporting civilian agencies.

10. As a candidate for a postgraduate qualification the quality of your written English is poor. There is barely a sentence in your original post without either errors in punctuation or spelling, or, otherwise tainted by poor expression. Plain English using apposite words is much more persuasive than jargon. I hope your hypotheses are more cogent than your propositions.

I hope you are not going to confound the poor impression you have made by claiming your awarding body is a university of international repute.

11. "Much more persuasive". Hmmmm. Not as true as you might think it should be. In this modern world there are whole areas of public life where jargon laden clap-trap rules the day. Try applying for a CS job while using plain English as an example. Try applying for a Lottery grant for some charitable purpose that does not mimic their particular styles and terminologies.

...and as for the main thread - can we PLEASE stop trying to compare soldiering with running a business. The business world love nothing better than to use military terms that they fail to understand - while the fallacy that a commercial company can run any support operation more efficiently than we can has lead to a major decline in our capabilities and increased inefficiency IMHO.

12. Confound? Or Compound perhaps?

Yours Confoundedly
    HK

13. "Confound" as in either to perplex deeply or to utterly astonish.

14. Volunteer, you are the worse sort of illiterate pedant.

15. Sod off, Volunteer, you't too great either. PM me if you doubt it!!