These boots are made for walking

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by lifesabummer, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wouldn't say that 31k is not an especially high-cost load, compared to many loads on the highway?

Sleeping/wanking/eating KFC/murdering hookers

Probably not, unless the boots were subsequently found jammed up Gordon Brown's arrse...

2. Quote
    "The Ministry of Defence said the theft would have no impact on troops"

Thats because they are going to wear their flip flops.

PS Anyone checked evilbay?

3. 1. It's not a high cost load, it's a cheap as **** load. How many secured lorry parks do you imagine there are either nationally or in that area?

2. Probably asleep in the cab. Do you expect the driver remain awake and alert all night and to single-handedly fight off the thieves?

3. No, it happens every day, which is why you will see empty curtain-siders parked up with a back door open.

4. Have you not heard of drivers' hours?

4. Drivers hours, err not really, what are those then.

5. I have to echo ottar's view & especially point 3,

it'll be interesting to see if thetransport operator/s change from 'curtain sided' to solid/iso type in future, however they have to weight up the cost to value ratio also...

No doubt Fleabay/Gumtree or a market/car boot will be getting flogged sometime soon...

6. Curtain sided loads are primarly used for multi drop loads for ease of access. You would have to be a ninja/one of them/james bond, to cut into the side and steal the whole consignment without the driver noticing, asleep or not.

Oh and by the way Ottar, you would have to be a complete fuckwit to park in a desolte, dark parkplatz in the middle of no where with a load on. Drivers hours or not.

7. I imagine it must be very difficult to cut open a truck side with a stanley knife without making too much noise, the very fact trucks up and down the country are parked up with either a side open or the back doors open proves that it can and indeed does happen on a regular basis.

8. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

For those of you who, like me, are disappointed that this thread did not live up to its title, heres a prez.

[​IMG]

9. I doubt it. Box trailers are far more restricted in where they can go and what they can carry.

Curtain-siders are used for all sorts of reasons: they're quicker to load/unload, they don't require a rear loading bay or loading ramp, they can carry larger objects, many can be loaded through the roof... Boxes are limited to standard size palletised/palletisable loads and need suitable loading facilities.
    It takes 20 seconds to cut a hole in a curtain, it's only a bit of tarpaulin. Could you point to the bit where the article mentioned the entire consignment being taken? As far as I can see, it says 337 pairs of boots. Unless they're size 206, that's a couple of pallets at most.

Again, could you point out the bit where it mentions being parked in a "desolte, dark parkplatz in the middle of no where"?
    Perhaps you should tell VOSA that there is no problem with a driver exceeding their hours because they're afraid of the dark.

It'll be two or three dodgy blokes in a Transit and would take them less than ten minutes. It happens many times every day on busy roads and lorry parks the length and breadth of the country.

10. HHH

HHH LE

these boots must have been made for guys with huge feet if a trailer load amounts to 337 pairs

11. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Maybe a centipede stole them? As for the load value as said previous its a small amount regularly drove curtain siders with approx 1 million woods worth of whisky on board

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

For the non-truckers among us - a mate of mine has a regular run to Holland so I asked him what he was bringing back. "Cant tell you. Security". "**** off, its me, what you carrying?" About 6 pints later he told me. Cheese. Which drew a laugh until he asked how much is a small packet of cheese? Multiply that by a 40' box...