Theresa May wants HRA scrapped

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by beemer007, Oct 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gets my vote.

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Home Secy wants the HRA repealed and Lib Dems say it is here to stay.

Right, we now have the extremes - what is the 'middle road' that both sides will sign up to.

Hopefully something is done to bring the HRA back to protecting the public and not those who wish to do harm.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I am all for it

4. Pandering to Daily Mail! How can treating people like human beings, even if they do not, be a bad thing?

5. Signing up to the HRA is a condition of EU membership. Out of one, out of the other. See other thread about leaving the EU.
    She also said she would like to opt out of the HRA not that we will. I'm sure many of us would like to opt out of parts of it but, unless we leave the EU, we can't. And she knows it.

6. HRA will not be scrapped, bank on it.

FAR too many lawyers (note how many Pols are legal eagles these days), make far too much money from it.

7. Clearly, it would be replaced with a Bill of Rights.

8. What for theres a perfectly good piece of legislation already up and running? Bill of Rights, very American, they're the last democracy that we should be aspiring to.

• Like Like x 4
  9. I don't think the HRA needs scrapping or amending, just applied with a bit of common dog. If it was good enough for Churchill it ought to be good enough for ARRSE.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Get rid of it, If they don't then they should introduce a Human Resposibilities act, a breach of which will preclude the offender from protection from certain parts of the Human Rights act.

• Like Like x 3
  11. I wonder how I survived all those years before the HRA was introduced without any human rights. But if I must have some then it would be nice if it was implemented by my own people not the faceless halfwits from Europe.

12. It's not a pick and mix.

13. An understanding that naughty people SHOULD have certain rights broken would be a start... ie criminals who only remember they should have a family life after being sent down.

14. There is limited use in repealing it if you don't also withdraw from the ECHR.

As others have said why have a bill of rights? There was perfectly good legislation place before HRA. I agree with those who have said it won't be withdrawn or amended.