Theresa May about to Resign?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Since we can't trust the HoC to decide on whether it's deal or no deal, then I'm for a 2nd referendum.

Given that the HoC voted for a binding referendum, and the populace have already voted for exiting the EU, it's a simple question to be but on the paper;

Do you wish to..
A. Leave the EU under the terms of the negotiated Withdrawal agreement, or
B. Leave the EU without any withdrawal agreement.

Parties, and MPs to be allowed to campaign for either, but any who campaign for no brexit will be interred until after the referendum (yes, that's you Cable i'm looking at)

End of all arguments, unless democracy doesn't matter any more.
Why bother? Parliament are ignoring the first referendum, what makes you think they will respect Ref2? Unless it is a remain vote at which point all opposition will be switched off, ignored and the pm seen off grovelling to Brussels staying sorry for all the trouble(they can take BL with them as an SME).

Hypocrites the lot of them!

Why bother? Parliament are ignoring the first referendum, what makes you think they will respect Ref2? Unless it is a remain vote at which point all opposition will be switched off, ignored and the pm seen off grovelling to Brussels staying sorry for all the trouble(they can take BL with them as an SME).

Hypocrites the lot of them!
That's the spirit.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Democracy failed when postal voting was introduced to weaponise certain sections of the population
The elderly and the disabled? On the former I couldn't agree more. As for the latter, it being such a diverse spread I don't think there's a problem with that.

But you've got to admire Mays resilience, greatest parliamentary defeat in modern history and she's still there.
Others have been predicting her demise for ages and she's hanging in there like a limpet mine.
The only saving grace is she forced Corbyn out of his hole. He's probably bricking it more than she is this morning.

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
The elderly and the disabled? On the former I couldn't agree more. As for the latter, it being such a diverse spread I don't think there's a problem with that.

But you've got to admire Mays resilience, greatest parliamentary defeat in modern history and she's still there.
Others have been predicting her demise for ages and she's hanging in there like a limpet mine.
The only saving grace is she forced Corbyn out of his hole. He's probably bricking it more than she is this morning.
Quite rightly so. Who, seriously, would want to be handed the poisoned chalice that is the current situation?

You are on a hiding to nothing whatever you do, as there is no way to please all the people all of the time, and the country is so polarised right now there will be a VERY sizeable portion of society who will want your guts for garters whatever steps made next.

This is how May ended up as PM in the first place .. .. . nobody really wanted the responsibility for trying to deliver Brexit (in any way, shape or form). Whatever you do in that position leaves you unpopular with far too many people, and it was NEVER going to be as easy as some would wish us to believe to implement.

Quite rightly so. Who, seriously, would want to be handed the poisoned chalice that is the current situation?

You are on a hiding to nothing whatever you do, as there is no way to please all the people all of the time, and the country is so polarised right now there will be a VERY sizeable portion of society who will want your guts for garters whatever steps made next.

This is how May ended up as PM in the first place .. .. . nobody really wanted the responsibility for trying to deliver Brexit (in any way, shape or form). Whatever you do in that position leaves you unpopular with far too many people, and it was NEVER going to be as easy as some would wish us to believe to implement.
I think Boris was giving her a run for her money in the leadership contest until Gove, stabbed him the back...

You make it sound as though it was a all part of her carefully calculated master plan when you say 'she forced Corbyn out of his hole'. The reality is of course is that the scale of the government defeat forced his hand in tabling a VoNC.

He knows today and he knew yesterday that a VoNC can only and will only fail. He'll not be getting too exercised (beyond dispatch box theatrics) by the obvious outcome. He certainly won't be 'bricking it'.

Corbyn may be an odious Arrse but he and his advisors are far from stupid. He also has the luxury of being able to table as many motions of no confidence as he wants, whenever he wants.

You make it sound as though it was a all part of her carefully calculated master plan when you say 'she forced Corbyn out of his hole'. The reality is of course is that the scale of the government defeat forced his hand in tabling a VoNC.

He knows today and he knew yesterday that a VoNC can only and will only fail. He'll not be getting too exercised (beyond dispatch box theatrics) by the obvious outcome. He certainly won't be 'bricking it'.

Corbyn may be an odious Arrse but he and his advisors are far from stupid. He also has the luxury of being able to table as many motions of no confidence as he wants, whenever he wants.
It depends if Tory remainers are so desperate to sink Brexit, they are prepared to throw away their own careers

In theory, Turkeys could still vote for Xmas, remainers being a bit emotional and lacking reasoning skills after all

It depends if Tory remainers are so desperate to sink Brexit, they are prepared to throw away their own careers

In theory, Turkeys could still vote for Xmas, remainers being a bit emotional and lacking reasoning skills after all
Forgive me but I'm not sure how your post relates to my post (that you quoted).

I was addressing a specific comment stating that Mrs May had forced Mr Corbyn out of his bolt hole.

Forgive me but I'm not sure how your post relates to my post (that you quoted).

I was addressing a specific comment stating that Mrs May had forced Mr Corbyn out of his bolt hole.
You said
The VoNC might not fail, it relies on Tory remainers not throwing their dummies out

My doubts started about 15 years ago. It has to do with the BNP, who I've no time for, but in this occasion I'm on their side.
It started on hearing the BNP, for the first time, had two of their members elected onto a local council somewhere up north. At the time I shrugged and thought, it's local, probably a protest vote, move on. My attitude changed on watching the national news the next day. Enter a politician from HoC. On being asked about the BNP having two members elected, and remember this is at local level, he replied, "There is no place for them in British politics."!!! WTF I thought, they were elected the same way you were! If there's no place for them, wtf are you doing in Westminster?

Now we know why the BNP were elected. ALL of the establishment had totally ignored the young lasses being groomed. If they had done their job immediately, a lot more lasses would have escaped the horrors they went through, and the BNP could still be waiting to get elected!

The denial/cover up of the establishment doesn't end there. The paedo's, when they've done there time, will be put on the sex offenders list. Something similar should befall those who failed the children. Social workers, police, local councillors, and any MP who were involved in this cover up. They should not be allowed to work with children, or hold public office ever again. Instead they're not even being held to account for their negligence. Oh there's talk about it, but what's to talk about? 1,400 is not a mistake. Yet those cowards kept quiet knowing that children were going through agony, which should have been prevented if only one of them had a pair of balls.

"All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Can't remember who said that. Where are the good men now? If they don't show their faces soon then I'm afraid democracy will have died in this country.
The biggest threat to democracy this country has faced this century is called Antony Charles Lynton Blair.

He and his government are responsible for the cover-up outlined above.

Of course, the mainstream parties all say the same thing. The sad reality is that there SHOULD be no place for the BNP in British politics. However, the mainstream parties simply ignoring multiple elephants has let them in.

There have been many issues with uncontrolled migration that have been tabled by the ordinary people, and the governing bodies have simply ignored them or immediately accused people of racism or xenophobia. By doing so, they have opened that door to the extremists, when all that was needed was an acknowledgment of the issues that many were facing and a moderate response to help to resolve it.

How strange that it has taken someone from an Asian background to say, what for many of us, is obvious but unsay-able for fear of being locked up!

'I won't ignore race of grooming gangs' - Javid

Of course, the latter point has nothing to do with the debate on this thread, but the former, probably does. People voted for change......can we have it please?
Well said, that man!.

The argument, of course, is whether the WA as dictated by Brussels does take us out of the EU. I contend that it does not and leaves us in a position where we can only do trade and other agreements with the prior approval of the EU!

It is not leaving, just sitting at the back of the bus!
The proposed-and now defeated government deal would have conferred the status of Vichy France on the United Kingdom.

Assuming that the VoNC fails, it relies on Tory remainers not throwing their dummies out
Too many dummies needing to be spat out unfortunately... a couple of abstentions by politically suicidal tory backbenchers perhaps.

Assuming that the vote is cleanly split Conservative and DUP vs the rest...

Total voting seats = 649 (excludes Mr Speaker). The vote would look like...

327 for the government (317 seats plus 10 DUP)​
315 against the government (322 seats minus 7 Sinn Fein)​
There would need to be 13 conservative abstentions or 7 conservative votes against the government for the VoNC to succeed. As a mix of the two, the seven votes needed would be reduced by one for every two abstentions, e.g. 2 abstentions and 6 votes, 4 abstentions, 5 vote etc.

Whichever way you cut it, there is a greater likelihood of the pope flogging cut price johnnies from a stall on St Peters Square than there is of today's VoNC succeeding.

Nota Bene: if the numbers are wrong, I got them from Dianne Abbot.

Barnier on the tellybox sayng the EU regrets the decision to vote down the deal, and that the UK should reconsider its red lines.

Seems he wants us to surrender even more next time, and that the EU is unhappy they didn't get the surrender deal through....

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Even I wasn't expecting the size of her defeat. I thought my 160 was a little optimistic. But now Corbyn has nowhere to go, if labour had a decent electable leader they would have been streets ahead, the fact that they're bouncing around neck and neck says all you need to know about that ridiculous specimen.
How can they not have the figures to tramp all over this current zombie government. It's Corbyn nothing else.