There's still a bit of depth in the national gene pool

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope you're not asking that question in a French accent.
do zey sell crisps of ze flavour of ze elderberraaayyyyy?

ahem. back to the thread which is worthy of gravitas.

[h=2]The family of a Second World War hero forced to sell his medals to pay his care home fees today turned down offers of donations because they believe others are more in need of such help.[/h]

do zey sell crisps of ze flavour of ze elderberraaayyyyy?

ahem. back to the thread which is worthy of gravitas.

[h=2]The family of a Second World War hero forced to sell his medals to pay his care home fees today turned down offers of donations because they believe others are more in need of such help.[/h]
This man would have been in his early twenties (about 22/23 perhaps) when he reached the rank of Wing Commander!
This was a lot of responsibility for one so young, particularly when even at that young age one of his tasks was to write to the families of the casualties under his command.

I consider myself privileged to have had one of the "few" as my headmaster in the late 1940's. He had received only six months training as a teacher - but was far beyond and above the principles and theories of modern education. He of course did not elaborate on his wartime experiences.

He died of a heart attack some few years after his retirement. He cost the State little to keep. But I believe he had the same principles as Wing Commander Burbridge and his family. His wife had also served.

We do not make many like that nowadays.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer