"There's no such thing as midnight in the British Army"... what does that mean?

Earlier drunken fight? Found weapon to defend himself? Without knowing the rest of the background, I’d say that’s about as good as it gets.
I did take a Cfn to Colly for glassing an NCO, 8 years

Earlier drunken fight? Found weapon to defend himself? Without knowing the rest of the background, I’d say that’s about as good as it gets.
On a ship

Fight in the bar between two drunks.
Broken up and the bloke I knew took himself off to his cabin to sleep it off.

Hour or two later the other bloke kicked the cabin door down for another go
One of them had a Swiss Army knife of all things (tbh I can't remember which one of them had the knife to start with)

The bloke who kicked the door in ended up getting stabbed quite a lot.
As the surviving one was in his bed minding his own business he was prosecuted for manslaughter, not murder

I knew him after he got out of prison and he was still a little bit on the fringe really.
Not the sort you turned your back on when he was the worse for drink

Last I heard he was living happily out in the boonies up north well away from people.

On a ship

One of them had a Swiss Army knife of all things (tbh I can't remember which one of them had the knife to start with)

As the surviving one was in his bed minding his own business he was prosecuted for manslaughter, not murder

I knew him after he got out of prison and he was still a little bit on the fringe really.

Last I heard he was living happily out in the boonies up north well away from people.
Alls well that ends well (if that’s not too glib)

On a ship

I was thinking of contractors in Iraq, but that’s useful, thanks.

I'm watching the 1943 Army training film The New Lot on YouTube, and the newly-arrived conscripts meet a serving soldier who's just been let out of the glasshouse for punching a sergeant.
That was a rather odd film and not at all the overly gung-ho, patriotic stuff that they usually pumped out during the war.

It was certainly a who's-who of later British acting. I spotted a very thin Raymond Huntley (playing his customary pompous civil service type), John Laurie (many years before he became Private Frazer), Geoffrey Keen (what was going on with his teeth?), cod hayseed Bernard Miles from Uxbridge, John Slater (a Jewish schoolfriend of mine claimed that John Slater was his cousin - somewhat doubtful as the generational difference was vast), a cameo appearance by Kathleen Harrison, who played mother to an impossibly juvenile Peter Ustinov and who rather embarrassingly managed to miss his face and kiss him farewell at the railway station on the lapel of his overcoat.

All cobbled together by director Carol Reed (uncle to Oliver) on behalf of the Army Kinematograph Service, who at the time were based at a studio in Wembley Park.

Absolute rubbish, even for propaganda.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Okay so, basically it refers to how the Army day used to finish at 23:59 and begin at 00:01, so if you were to commit a crime it'd have to be at 00:00. It also refers to "if you want to hit a Sergeant and get away with it" Sergeants were well known for their, lets say, "brutality" and "violence" with their soldiers so by saying there is no midnight in the Army it suggests that you would not get away with it as there is no midnight in the British Army.

Hope that made sense to you and hope it shed a little more light on the reference for you.

- A
L/Cpl, RY

On a ship

Bloody lucky he didn't cut off a couple of his fingers by accident trying to do damage with that Swiss piece of shit.

Latest Threads