"There's no such thing as midnight in the British Army"... what does that mean?

Are you aware of how much Vodka the average Ivan Tom could shift? We knew we had 12 hours in hand, that is why on ex Active Edge the battle wagons never turned over until 11 hours after it was called, silly.
You must have failed every FFR, ORT, ACTIVE EDGE etc that you ever did then!

Sometimes, drama on the telly or elsewhere just never resembles the real world! How would something like that work out now? Now in my instance would be back in the 70’s.

If you were considering doing something at that time of night that could see you facing serious charges in the morning, you’ve probably been drinking a large amount of alcohol or perhaps using some other entirely unlawful substance available to you in these more modern times.

So in your drunken or drugged up state, good luck with getting your timing right when delivering the fateful blow or whatever and even if you do get it spot on, don’t be too surprised if the BOS and the orderly officer reports on your misdemeanours (or worse) formally state that the event happened at either a minute to or a minute past midnight.

My advice to any mug considering doing something daft would be to just suck it up and get on with your job because sometimes life is a bitch and you just have to plough on through until you get to the other side.

Having said that, you can get lucky.

I knew someone who after a boozy night around midnight one Saturday night set off all the fire extinguishers in the Company lines one night. First thing on Monday morning, the platoon sergeant grabbed the guy and told him to sort it. By the following day, the fire extinguishers in the lines were fine.

It was just fingers crossed that the extinguishers in the Company lines in the next block were checked, found to be faulty and made good before anything silly happened.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Which is why in every (decent) criminal case written, you use the phrase 'about' to precede a timing i.e: 'about 2359hrs on the DAY / MONTH / YEAR the accused NAME did.... ' etc.

In almost all instances, a sheriff and defence would accept it and it's fairly standard procedure.

It gets around the 'at 2359' because a **** of a.defence would challenge you on that timing, just to make you feel and look like a dick.

Never had it happen to me before when I was new to the job..honest.

Don't know about these days... though an Army day ended at 2359 Hrs and began at 0001 Hrs.... no 0000 - so midnight didn't exist in Army time. The Army old sweat myth that you could get away with a 'crime' at dead on midnight!
That explains it. Thanks!

I always found understand that not getting caught was a far more effective way of getting away with any alleged crime I may, or may not, have been involved in.
Additionally not admitting to it even some time after the event would probably help, had I (or anyone else) committed any undetected crime(s).

It is not my fault that at no point have I ever been asked about any crimes that I may (or may not) have been involved in, or have knowledge of
So it was you in the gimp suit!

Don't know about these days... though an Army day ended at 2359 Hrs and began at 0001 Hrs.... no 0000 - so midnight didn't exist in Army time. The Army old sweat myth that you could get away with a 'crime' at dead on midnight!
This premise is incorrect.
There is always 'Midnight at the Oasis'...

Last edited:
No I didn't, It was 90 seconds in BAOR, 10 seconds on home station (ale was cheaper in the Fatherland).
It can be used as mitigation though

Many, many years ago I knew a fella very well who had just come out of a 7 year stretch for manslaughter

He killed somebody by stabbing him multiple times with a swiss army knife

After a drunken fight in the bar earlier in the night the dead man had kicked in the door of the now sleeping about to be killers accommodation

Bloke rudely awoken, slapped around a bit then piles out of bed and kills his assailant

Not murder
Defence revolved entirely around being woken and assaulted in his own room at dark o'clock whilst pissed
Court accepted it as mitigation for an otherwise excessively aggressive response

It's the same on the railway. The train reporting system (for logging arrival, departure and passing times of trains) won't recognise 0000 as a time, so they're always either 2359 or 0001.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Which is why in every (decent) criminal case written, you use the phrase 'about' to precede a timing i.e: 'about 2359hrs on the DAY / MONTH / YEAR the accused NAME did.... ' etc.

In almost all instances, a sheriff and defence would accept it and it's fairly standard procedure.

It gets around the 'at 2359' because a **** of a.defence would challenge you on that timing, just to make you feel and look like a dick.

Never had it happen to me before when I was new to the job..honest.
One of the first and only things I remember being taught by RMP before I told them where to shove their truncheons and the sun doesn't shine.

On arrival at depot,we were informed by the nice platoon sergeant that the army allowed us one minute of our own time; 0000hrs to 0001hrs. This time was to be used for prayer..

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
On arrival at depot,we were informed by the nice platoon sergeant that the army allowed us one minute of our own time; 0000hrs to 0001hrs. This time was to be used for prayer..
We were told that a minute to and a minute past were ours; thankfully no mention of prayer.

Although, surely, if you've been instructed to pray, then that time isn't yours, is it? It's still filled with a task.

So if you crayon obscenities all over CA as the clock shows 00:00 they can't give you ROPs?

Asking for a friend

RoyalGreenJacket

On ROPS
On ROPs
Winds me up that civvies (particularly insurance companies) create policies with 0000hrs as an active / expire time.

So if a policy states it expires at 0000hrs on Monday - does this mean it is good until Sunday night, or one minute into Monday morning?

As far as I see it - 2359hrs includes every second upto 23hrs, 59mins and 59secs of that day, and 0000hrs includes every second upto 59secs after in the next day - in this instance that would be just under one minute after midnight [which doesn't actually exist ;) ] on Sunday night/ Monday morning.

Last edited:

Latest Threads