"There's no such thing as midnight in the British Army"... what does that mean?

I'm watching the 1943 Army training film The New Lot on YouTube, and the newly-arrived conscripts meet a serving soldier who's just been let out of the glasshouse for punching a sergeant.

A mouthy know-it-all conscript claims that if you want to hit a sergeant and get away with it you have to do it at midnight, because "there's no such thing as midnight in the British Army, it's either a minute to or a minute past".

Can anyone explain what this actually means? There's no explanation given in the film, all the characters seem to understand it.

I'm watching the 1943 Army training film The New Lot on YouTube, and the newly-arrived conscripts meet a serving soldier who's just been let out of the glasshouse for punching a sergeant.

A mouthy know-it-all conscript claims that if you want to hit a sergeant and get away with it you have to do it at midnight, because "there's no such thing as midnight in the British Army, it's either a minute to or a minute past".

Can anyone explain what this actually means? There's no explanation given in the film, all the characters seem to understand it.
Don't know about these days... though an Army day ended at 2359 Hrs and began at 0001 Hrs.... no 0000 - so midnight didn't exist in Army time. The Army old sweat myth that you could get away with a 'crime' at dead on midnight!

Don't know about these days... though an Army day ended at 2359 Hrs and began at 0001 Hrs.... no 0000 - so midnight didn't exist in Army time. The Army old sweat myth that you could get away with a 'crime' at dead on midnight!
there isn't really any quality crime you can commit between 23:59:59 and 00:01:00

there isn't really any quality crime you can commit between 23:59:59 and 00:01:00
Hacking maybe, as someone might assume a cron job or some kind of server maintenance going off at midnight, so any weird downtime for a few minutes won't raise suspicion

Hacking maybe, as someone might assume a cron job or some kind of server maintenance going off at midnight, so any weird downtime for a few minutes won't raise suspicion
Now your reply sums up the difference between the old Army and the new... used to be 'pittin' the heid on the BOS'... now it's hacking!:rolleyes:

Did the training film also cover the "two men on a bed, three feet on the floor" rule, and the ability to punch the Badge, so long as it is done within 90 seconds of being woken on Christmas morning for gunfire?

Slime

LE
If anything like an op or exercise happens between 0001 and 2359 it fits properly into a date/time group and also starts/ends on a specific day.

If something started at 0000 it could be that it not only wasn’t any particular day, but could fall between years or decades if timed just right

You should commit it to memory, it is still relevant, and when quoted to the Badge, will instantly mark you for promotion.

Oyibo

LE
00:00hrs can be two days - e.g Monday or Tuesday. The barrack room lawyer theory is that because of this one cannot be charged: A bit like the other myth of punching someone who wakes you up. The reality is with both that you will end up on the shell, or doing time.

I always found understand that not getting caught was a far more effective way of getting away with any alleged crime I may, or may not, have been involved in.
Additionally not admitting to it even some time after the event would probably help, had I (or anyone else) committed any undetected crime(s).

It is not my fault that at no point have I ever been asked about any crimes that I may (or may not) have been involved in, or have knowledge of

Surely not, it should be the other way round - the Russians were coming and you couldn't give them the extra 70 seconds.
Are you aware of how much Vodka the average Ivan Tom could shift? We knew we had 12 hours in hand, that is why on ex Active Edge the battle wagons never turned over until 11 hours after it was called, silly.

00:00hrs can be two days - e.g Monday or Tuesday. The barrack room lawyer theory is that because of this one cannot be charged: A bit like the other myth of punching someone who wakes you up. The reality is with both that you will end up on the shell, or doing time.
It was always 23:59:60 and 00:00:01

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Midnight was introduced to the Army on 1 July 1982 by a Defence Council Instruction that revised army time as running from 0000-2359 and on to 0000 the next day.

I was sat in the Pay Office preparing to transfer out of 15/19H.

No I didn't, It was 90 seconds in BAOR, 10 seconds on home station (ale was cheaper in the Fatherland).
Didn't work.... I once mistakenly turfed the RSM out of his camp bed one reveille on Ex in Schleswig Holstein from Berlin in the 1970s.... within 10 seconds he had awarded me 10 Extra Duties... I reminded him of the 10 second rule... to no avail!

Latest Threads