There was a young lady called Wright whose speed was faster than light

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Sep 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. she went out one day in a relative way and came back the previous night.

BBC News - Brian Cox on Cern's baffling light-speed find

Dimension-hop may allow neutrinos to cheat light speed - physics-math - 23 September 2011 - New Scientist

I've always wanted a tachyon.

DC

2. Bet Brunstrumm slaps a fine on it.

3. Why not start with a personality and work your way up from there?

• Like Like x 2
  4. I could call you a fat ******* **** but I'm going to wait until next tuesday, hopefully we'll have time travel confirmed by then so I can come back and call you one right now.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Call me what you like, posh boy, you're still 'sans' personality.

Sans humour too if that's the best you bring to the party!

Popular thread this...

6. This will be amazing if true... I had always thought that speed was an infinite thing given the right conditions. ... some stuff probably disappears at the SOL so evidence can't exist... :)

7. But if Neutrinos are infinitesimally small when travelling faster than the speed of light, and e=mc2, how big would they be if travelling at say mach 1, or even standing still?

8. ...just thought that I should add " the right conditions" being a strong tail wind or something... :)

9. Druggies overdosing and thumbless paper mittens
    Exlax in chocolates to give gran the shits and
    Dark haired posh parents who´s kids turn out ginge,
    These are a few of my favourite things.

10. If the results are correct, it is a pretty fundamental change in the way we need to do physics. However:

[​IMG]

And the SN1987A neutrino detection result suggests that any difference in speed between photons and neutrinos is much much lower than the LHC/OPERA result. And that's with a baseline of around 170,000 light years to show a difference, rather than 730km. Albeit, with a much lower apparent neutrino energy. Although that's 170,000 (non-moving reference frame) years ish for neutrino flavor (sic) oscillation or other energy dumping processes to occur.

It is. All you need to do is measure it from the reference frame of the traveller using maps established in the non-moving reference frame (or something approximating to it.) As you approach the speed of light time dilation tends to infinity and length contraction tends to zero. So experienced speed tends, on both numerator and denominator, to infinity. All a "strong tail wind" would do is slightly change the initial reference frame.

But you just had to get some gibberish in, didn't you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neutrinos aren't tachyons. No matter how fast they travel. And you're going to have a few problems mounting your tachyon for display on your sideboard or in your trophy cabinet!

12. Yet more proof, if proof were needed, that the CERN scientists don't know what they are playing with!

13. It's interesting to consider that the time slows down for these particles too, the only way we can detect muon particles is because their lifetime is extended due to their own time being slowed down. They only live for a microsecond, but they manage to reach the earth's surface because they're travelling at such high speeds. If the physics were wrong then they'd disintegrate before we had a chance to detect them.

14. Not exactly rotation but the Earth's orbit is a bit under 600 million miles. So 68,000 miles per hour.

Well, yes. The solar system is orbiting the centre of the Milky Way at about half a million mph. Which is itself moving towards the centre of the Virgo supercluster at some million miles per hour. Which is moving towards the Shapely supercluster at about 15 times that speed.

Note that even that fairly staggering velocity is only on the order of 2% of the speed of light.

15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

If God set up the Laws of Physics that Einstein brought to light (see what I did there? :) ) who gave us the neutrinos that break that Law?