There goes another one...Ammo dump explosions

Lasers of that power are used for long-distance surveying, amongst other things, They are not banned. They just have to be used with care, and turned off immediately if you hear an aircraft.

I would stick to commenting on pyrotechnics, if I were you.
After further investigation, it looks as if you're right. There is no law just a recommendation by H & S, which is misquoted by a lot of authorities including the BBC.

However, by all means keep playing with unserviceable pyro, the Darwin Awards needs candidates each year.

After further investigation, it looks as if you're right. There is no law just a recommendation by H & S, which is misquoted by a lot of authorities including the BBC.

However, by all means keep playing with unserviceable pyro, the Darwin Awards needs candidates each year.
I certainly acknowledge your last remark. When I look back at the misuse and stupidities I saw during my service (some of which were mine), it was a good thing that the old Mk8 Thundie (for example) went out of service. Two young subalterns of the RAOC dismantled a thundie to show some RA officers how dangerous the flash powder could be, and lit it with a yard-long spill of rolled up newspaper. After the flash dissipated and their bleached retinas recovered, the yard-long twist of paper was four inches long.

Still didn't stop the (RA) idiots, though. One of the subbies saw a Royal Arty officer drop one inside an item of mess silver on a dinner night. It was expensive, although fortunately harmless to the officers nearby. He had been told that if he packed the handle with mud, it would stop the explosion.

Your point is valid.

Still remember being told of a day when the plod walked onto site (was working for BAe at the time) with a box asking for the Mortars Technical Authority....dumped it on hi desk and asked 'any idea what these are?' - his response was yes, and now lets all leave the room shall we......not sure exactly what they were but they were 20 years out of date and leaking!!

I think Rickshaw-Major was at Eskmeals when the AS90 had an in-bore when there was a re-life trial going on....I saw the footage and at least one of them was damn lucky to survive....so even under 'controlled' conditions firing off out of life rounds is not a good idea.

Saying that I have had the joy/honour of being one of the few people to deliberately blow up large rounds in-bore for test purposes....still brings a smile on when remembering.

S_R

On the subject of out of date munitions, I recall that round about 1978, we were given a load of 3" mortar bombs to expend - more to get rid of in a weekend than our usual annual allotment of 81mm. We'd been told that this was the last of the 3" stocks (don't know how true this was). They wobbled going down the barrel and in flight, giving off a strange noise.

I didn't think of clocking the date on them but wonder now when 3" mortar bombs were last manufactured for British service. Presumably 1958?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
On the subject of out of date munitions, I recall that round about 1978, we were given a load of 3" mortar bombs to expend - more to get rid of in a weekend than our usual annual allotment of 81mm. We'd been told that this was the last of the 3" stocks (don't know how true this was. They wobbled going down the barrel and in flight, giving off a strange noise.

I didn't think of clocking the date on them but wonder now when 3" mortar bombs were last manufactured for British service. Presumably 1958?
Out of date munitions? Explosion?

Read this.

1967 USS Forrestal fire - Wikipedia

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Just looking at @HectortheInspector s long list posted in 2012 and it occurred to me that N. Korea didn't feature.
Made me wonder whether they were due some accidents.
I think that they use up most of their old ammo by liquidating anyone the regime doesn't like the look of.