then and now

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by samain11, Sep 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Samain11 junior is currently posted to 12 LSR and is about to deploy on herrick 17, dropped him off today and had a look at the accommodation....well I am the first to admit that kit has got exponentially better since my day, but where he lives is ******* disgraceful. I am not so much talking about the style of the building (2 storey portakabin things), but the state of repair and facilities available. Hard lying is to expected on ops but for the Regimental home accommodation to resemble a ******* tower hamlets crack house is pretty shit. FOB Price will be an improvement I reckon.
  2. The Military Covenant!

Refusing to refurbish accommodation that wont be required in a couple of years time when the army divests itself of 20% of its manpower makes sense I suppose - as long as the troops aren't made to pay accommodation charges.

This IS the Old and Bold section. Many of us remember platoon barrack rooms with a coke stove in the centre as the sole source of heat, and unheated outside wash houses and lavatories! Mind you soldiers didn't pay food and accommodation charges back then!

Safe tour for your son.
  3. Some may recall the troops accommodation at Sp Wpns Wing Netheravon. When asked if they minded living in the shit hole, no one complained because it represented more beer tokens. It was when they move to the Gucci en-suite they got pissed off because ale consumption reduced.
    The tragedy is when they will pay full whack for shitty accommodation. SLAM - dunk.

While I'm here, the last time I went to the 'new' gym in Tidworth (not the sports centre but the one behind the wire), that was a slum. No doubt they've sorted out that particular carbuncle.
  4. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

I remember accom like that, It was called Martenique Barracks in Bordon. we still had to pay food and accom even in 1979.

5. I was in C Coy Martinique 1979-1980 on my VM 2-1 and lived in one of the wooden spiders that we still had to put that horrible polish on the floor & bumper it till it shone, walking on some poor buggers blankets until the inspection was over. The last inspection we had prior to finishing we found some rubbish at the last minute and lifted up a trapdoor in the corridor only to find the whole of the space filled with black rubbish bags!

The spider was OK to live in, showers were crap though and I seem to remember the cookhouse and food was OK, unlike basics at B Coy Havannah Barracks (now Prince Phillip) where the cockroach ruled supreme!

I can remember the accommodation at Tidworth in 1976 when I joined my first unit 4/7 Dragoon Guards, multi man room. I got to see it again when I took over some transit accommodation for my guys when I was doing a project at BVD Ludgershall in 2002 and couldn't believe I'd lived in such crap accommodation!

At JHQ Rhinedahlen in about 2003-4 I seem to remember the signals guys trying to refuse to move into the brand new blocks from the condemned living accommodation because they were going from no accommodation charge to full charges, you can't please some people!
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I went to an Old Comrades weekend at Robertson Barracks, Swanton Morley a handful of years ago. They apologised to us for the shit state of the accommodation (they were scheduled to move to Sennelager - scuppered when they emptied Osnabruck and QDG drew that straw instead - after which Robertson would be sold off, so no money was going to be spent putting it in order,)

To be honest, the outfitting of the room was exactly the same as the single room I moved out of in 1981 on marriage, then newly op-Humaned and vastly superior to any accommodation I'd had in my career as a singly prior to that.
  7. You guys have to Pay for your living quarters on Base?
  8. Yes, GB, they have to pay for food too!
  9. I can remember going to STANTA in the winter of 1975 and it was tin Nissen Huts with a cast iron coal burner in the centre of the room.

Tiny ration of coal and the ******* officers had their pile under 24 hr guard and whitewashed so as to make detection easier.

In the end all the empty Nissens were stripped of anything wooden and we managed to overcome the officers mess security as well.
    No hot water and the food was vile when you could get it, if they ran out tough luck.

Full food and accommodation charges applied the robbing bastards.
  10. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We didn't pay for food an accomodation in my service, The sleeping areas were ok, once we had dug a small hole for our hip bones, and laid some rushes or grass on the floor. The animal skin tent did tend to leak a bit, but rabbitts are not terribly big, and three together was hardly enough for four of us to sleep under.Food was ok. Charcoal, twigs, some grass if we were lucky and all the flies we could catch.