Then and Now, Normandy 70 years on

Excellent thread.

Nice to see that a lot of the battle damaged buildings appear to have been repaired rather than be replaced by concrete monstrocities.

Wish that was the case for the blitzed areas of Bristol

Excellent thread.

Nice to see that a lot of the battle damaged buildings appear to have been repaired rather than be replaced by concrete monstrocities.

Same for London , seems a shame when St Pauls , the Tower and the like are dwarfed by the surrounding buildings , how come we rebuilt much of Europe sympathetically and ruined our own city's .

swordman

RIP
RIP
Great stuff! The picture of Caen is very familiar to me. I was one of six that got into the City on the Colombelles side. Having entered the City, almost immediately we were withdrawn to prepare for operation Goodwood.
That is a fine presentation GREAT!

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Absolutely marvellous piccies! I particularly like No 11, with the high drama and tragedy of the landing in 1944 contrasted against the innocent beach activity with a bucket and spade.

Thanks a bunch for posting this, merchantman. It really give you a stark view of the "then" and "now" and makes you appreciate just how much time, effort and lives were expended to enable us to enjoy the "now".

MsG

PS. I'm sure one of the usual knee-jerk suspects will be along forthwith to label this (my) post "bullshit".:(

Reminds me of After the Battle Magazine, which does a great job of before and after while telling the history.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Excellent thread.

Unfortunately, this is far from being the case everywhere; if you go to places like le Havre, Lorient, Brest you will mostly see ugly concrete 1950-vintage buildings...Brest was rebuilt on about 25 metres of rubble, the remains of the old city which was blitzed in the Summer of 1944.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Pic 3, and what I assume from the colour scheme is the older RNLI lifeboat in the same place in the background.

Worth a mention - a fine institution.

Wow, some amazing impressive pictures there

That pic with the dead German soldier is quite thought provoking what with the family happily walking across the area that he brutally died.
Makes you think about the many places in Northern France where we laugh, drink and have fun, but for the sake of 70 years it would be so different.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
That pic with the dead German soldier is quite thought provoking what with the family happily walking across the area that he brutally died.
Makes you think about the many places in Northern France where we laugh, drink and have fun, but for the sake of 70 years it would be so different.

yes they are sobering images
freedom always has a price, its a great pity that so many people forget that simple fact

I remember going to a little museum in a small german town near Goch (can't remember the name), When you stood in the museum windows overlooking the town square there were photos showing how it looked before and after our "grandad's" came rolling through. I nice before, after and now display.

Nice post op.