THEM's near miss

Hopefully a couple of MP's

Ritch

LE
When is a balcony not a balcony? When it's a wrought iron balustrade.

I'd suspect that it may turn out to be have been cast iron; a small, but relevant, detail.

PS Grey cast iron is brittle, it will shatter like glass with a good crack.

From the BBc picture below, the ironwork seems to have broken just above ground level.

railings.jpg

The workers were below and hoisting the furniture with a rope. Cast iron is rubbish for supporting tensile or bending loads; see Tay Bridge disaster.

It's OK for compressive loads.

Wrought iron (and steel) is ductile and would probably bend before breaking. Or just rip out of the stonework.

These were probably the original railings fitted to the building. There are now ductile cast irons, but those were invented later.

Last edited:
Glancing at the pictures I half-expected to learn that some unfortunate bloke had become impaled on the railings below the balustrade.

What's "Spike" in Polish?

These were probably the original railings fitted to the building.

I wonder if it counts as an offence under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990?

I've already got my coat on.

Tapped in morse code on the radiator.

Cast iron is rubbish for supporting tensile or bending loads; see Tay Bridge disaster.

You will find that the likely culprit was the ineffectual bolting of the cross bracing which was wrought not cast............ small detail.

You will find that the likely culprit was the ineffectual bolting of the cross bracing which was wrought not cast............ small detail.

Maybe so, I'm not getting all CSI on the basis of one picture.

Cast iron might explain why all the stanchions had apparently snapped off cleanly near the floor. Wrought iron would have bent, possibly giving some warning of imminent failure.

Right model, wrong colour. Close but no cocoanut.

You're right, sorry. Surprises me how many old/classic cars I see on my occasional trips to London. Apart from people having money for these, the lack of snow and road salt in the "soft south" must help.

Railings are obviously not designed as lifting beams for Polish removal men, but I'm sure a lot of landlords will be out with the chipping hammers on Monday, just to check.

Latest Threads