Theme changes

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Good CO, Jun 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

A few threads starting about the facelift which I will merge and remove and answer here in a hope to avoid too many repeats. I'm quite surprised that it has already taken effect or I would have posted this earlier.

Changes are, with reasons:

1) Thinner header with no banner ad in it. Reason: move content up the page. Banner ad had been removed from the header of the old theme as we stepped towards this one.
    2) Large square banner gone from the top right and moved down the page. Reason: same more or less - to reduce advertising 'above the fold' and give more priority to content. This had already happened on the old ARRSE_2012 theme as we moved towards this one, but unnoticed.
    3) Guests only: large welcome message and encouragement to register to remove two adverts that members don't see near the top of the page. Reason: encourage guests to register, replace some lost income through changes to what members see.
    4) Fixed width page. A necessity to make the changes work without a mass of work that we don't have the resources to do.
    5) Removal of underlined links replaced with prominent colour. Reason: cleaner, less ugly and easier to read.
    6) Removal of Leaderboard banner at footer of thread pages, replaced with square ad in post. Reason: more effective advertising (note the only change in advertising that is not a reduction (for members))
    7) Addition of some MTP, MH shrunk, addition of site name and B/W Mr MH. Reason: a change is as good as a rest and after looking at much older ARRSE, it had more character than just a MH with nothing else. This is a step back to that.
    8. Removal of lumpy VBulletin standard borders on blocks, shadows on blocks and gradients (also made to ARRSE 2012 theme although unnoticed). Reason: improvements in speed of page rendering and cleaner more modern look.
    9) Right column moved up: less wasted space and more prominence to right column content
    10) Removal of right column when looking at gallery images. Reason: messy and pointless

There are probably more.

This was an unusually slow and considered process with both BCO and I using this theme for weeks. We both prefer it although of course expect a bit of drama as always.

Bug reports appreciated. It takes ages to iron out all the little glitches and I'm still working on IE6 (DII) but decided to go live before that nightmare was finished.

2. Good work, it looks great to me. I know what it's like on these sort of projects - you can please all the people some of the time...etc.

3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I should add that we are not going to support ARRSE_2012 any more. I'll leave it on for now, but for example IE6 / DII fixes won't be applied to it and it will be removed in the next upgrade of VBulletin.

4. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Thank you!

5. Some interesting subtle changes, so far so good.

The ads in the posts are still annoying & can they be removed by admin or personal settings?

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Works well and looks good on firefox.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Trouble is that those ads are our main income. We've tried to make guests see more advertising and members less, or more spread apart, but they are the recommended way of doing things. Having used this for weeks I personally don't think they make any difference, but am of course open to pressure.

8. I like the new look.

9. I have wide screen viewing and when in new standard version I get cramped view instead of full view. This on EX9.

As I am in. at the moment, ARRSE 2012 it works great but have to say I do not like the new standard. Adds in the posts look weird and simply do not like it.

10. I seem to be getting both Banner Ads and Ads in the posts.....

11. To Ilustrate:

Arrse 2012 on left, New Standard on right. as it appears on my computer:

Attached Files:

12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Boxy, regarding ads in posts, should be one ad in the last post of thread pages? If more can you post a screenshot? Then there should be one wide ad at the top and one square halfway down the right column.

13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

That's right. That's point 4 in my original post about fixed width

PS. What in gods name have you done to your windows?! Is that a purple desktop behind transparent windows, a transparent windows bar thing and the browser tool bar from hell that I see before me. No credibility for commenting on site design, sorry :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. I saw your point 4, it looks better to me as ARRSE2012 but assume there is some reason why it cannot stay that way, seems a shame but such is progress.

15. Well I guess i can live with ad's in the last thread if its an income generator