"Them" in the mail today

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Office_Linebacker, May 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Someone has been reading Taskforce Black

Good to see the Daily Mail at its best :x

2. All you need to know:

‘The need to rescue the soldiers from an insurgent group embedded within the police force proved that our training and mentoring operation was dangerously ineffective, and in complete contradiction to the universally positive picture presented to Whitehall by the Government and MoD at the time.’

3. The report is by Adam Holloway - ex-Grenadier and on the Defence Select Committee (well, okay, not today ...) The Mail's take on it is enthusiastic, and focusses on one page of 12.

CJO and DCJO both being uncontactable (within a reasonable timeframe) on a September Monday, when the in-theatre Div Commander was also on R&R? I find that slightly difficult to believe. The Mail also makes a mistake when it says that the "very senior General" was in PJHQ - the report makes it clear he was elsewhere in the MOD. Still, nothing the MOD gets wrong would actually surprise me.

I think the most critical quote from the report is this:

4. The random flaming warrior photo was really really poor.

5. It's a shame they weren't handed to one of those non-militant militias, then things might have been ok. :D

6. Yep, a last ditch attempt to make sure that you do vote Conservative (just in case you were 'teetering on the brink' of voting for someone else).

7. I thnk we can all be grateful it wasn't the scum, who use the retarded line "the who dares wins regiment" at every oppertunity.....I don't know what that bug's me, but it does.

8. sums it up really....

Attached Files:

9. One SAS source said: ‘The OK was given retrospectively because the operation was a success. But if it had gone wrong they would all have been completely shafted.’

'Shafted' because it might have embarrassed the bent bastard Bliar!

Strikes me that Jackson was not precisely 'on the button' if he only learned that 'two of them' had been snatched.

Yet still brain-dead twerps will be voting in their hundreds of thousands for Labour and it's politicised top brass in the armed Forces, the Police and the Civil service.

10. ...but its a good job they circled the bloke on fire.

I would never have spotted him.

11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I particularly like this bit:

"General Jackson last night made clear his disgust at the way soldiers were asked to sacrifice their men for political reasons, shattering the sacred military covenant that no man is left behind on the battlefield."

Crikey, imagine, Soldiers sent ot war for political reasons! I thought they were sent to war by the W.I. or perhaps they all just sort of turn up at a pre-arranged RV for a good ruck, like Milwall v Hammers of old. And where did this 'sacred Military covenant' thing appear? Aspirations, yes, sacred, certainly not.

Utter, utter bollox, with knobs on.

12. Funny how it starts as an attempt at journalism then just deteriorates into a shite Chris Ryan novel

13. It seems that the mob shown in the first picture is made up entirely of 8 year olds.

edited to say: Kind of worrying that a bunch of 8 year olds with petrol bombs and stones can do that to a warrior.

14. I take it you never got out onto a telic tour then?