Their Name Liveth For Evermore

A very good article in the Daily Mail today.

Private Arthur Chapman is looking immaculate once again. Lieutenant-Colonel Eric Lowry DSO MC is spick and span, too.

Their cap badges are freshly scrubbed and they are a credit to their units as they stand proudly to attention in the November rain.

Some of their comrades, though, appear rather worn out. A few are almost beyond recognition.

But they, too, are about to be restored to their former glory thanks to a small team in boots and anoraks and an extraordinary operation so vast in scale and scope that it is going to take nearly 30 years to complete.

Pte Chapman and Lt-Col Lowry have been dead for the best part of a century, just two of the 1.1 million men who went off to the Great War and never returned.

They are buried in that sacred, tragic patchwork of cemeteries across Northern France and Belgium - the Western Front as we once called it.

Gone they may be, but these men are certainly not forgotten. Because 90 years after the guns fell silent, every single headstone of every last British and Commonwealth serviceman killed in World War I is being painstakingly cleaned, re-engraved, touched up and sanded down.

Pollution, the elements and plain old age may have taken their toll on these memorials, but not a single sacrifice will be allowed to fade.

When you think that there are nearly 800,000 individual World War I headstones - not to mention 500,000 memorial inscriptions to those without an identified grave - and that each one must be restored by hand, you begin to appreciate the enormity of the project.

The staff of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, that splendid outfit which honours the memory of 1.7 million British and Commonwealth war dead in 150 countries, expect this task to take at least 28 years and cost £15 million.
Full article here.

For those that gave we thank you

For those that gave and gave again, we thank you

For those that gave everything we eternally thank you.

And when you tell your children and your grand children why,

Tell them for you and I.

Not in Flanders fields will you see this poppy grow, nor’ in Europe’s green fields nor in Desert lands

But in Afghanistan.

threeclicksleft said:

Tell them for you and I.

Not in Flanders fields will you see this poppy grow, nor’ in Europe’s green fields nor in Desert lands

But in Afghanistan.
You win the Show!!!! I wondered how long it will take before someone started regurgitating drivel like that :)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't be so harsh Smudge - each to their own. If you don't like it, move on.

3CL - nice one.

Hi

many thanks for your support...what i should have mentioned, is that i have just finished a short session of poppy collecting for the RBL.

During the 'rattling of the tin' i was genuinely moved to tears with the size of some of the donations but those of the real younger generation proudly wearing the poppy.

I just composed it over the that time.

Auld-Yin said:
Don't be so harsh Smudge - each to their own. If you don't like it, move on.

3CL - nice one.
Nice one? Nice for what? Being able to copy and paste?

Here's my "effort" :roll:

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

tell ya what smudge, thats a great poem you should go professional or something .... :roll:

Smudge this is not the NAAFI.

All gave some, some gave all!

Ord_Sgt said:

I know, including a very good friend of mine. Maybe there should be a soppy sentimental poetry forum?

smudge67 said:
threeclicksleft said:

Tell them for you and I.

But in Afghanistan.
You win the Show!!!! I wondered how long it will take before someone started regurgitating drivel like that :)
If this was in the NAAFI I'd tell you to fcuk off, but it's not so I won't.

smudge67 said:
Ord_Sgt said:

I know, including a very good friend of mine. Maybe there should be a soppy sentimental poetry forum?
Smudge.

Wrong time, wrong place.

P-T

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dark_Nit The NAAFI Bar 37
lacrabat The NAAFI Bar 5
Auld-Yin Competitions 18