TheGimp Boxing debut thread

The planets have aligned at work, I've got the time off. I've got two trainers, three gyms and I'm even knocking the booze on the head for the duration.

Current tale of the tape

42 years lod
6 foot 3
17.2 stone/108kg
Arthritic old twat

Got a fight night lined up in November.

Currently working out of two gyms and trainers.

5 1 hour sessions a week. 3 with one trainer 2 with another

Three sessions are technique, pads, drills and technical sparring all one to one with trainer
2 sessions are more group based conditioning, one with a spar after

thats all fitted in to weekdays, weekends totally free.

I need to put some CV in though, Opportunity to swim train seriously three mornings a week (my normal sport) and have a nice hill for hill sprints nearby

Hitting all the sessions my intake of scran has been pretty scary, seem to be hammering calories while still dropping weight. Trying to keep it healthy and regular.

Had a decent spar last night with a big slugger just a couple of rounds and some light 20% technical stuff with smaller people. Went well but got jaw cramp and slightly stiff this morning

Buzzing off the challenge and work load

Any advice (other than you are too old don't do it) gratefully received

Will update as I go along

Love n kisses theGimp

On a very positive point my Psoriatic arthritis (medicated with methotrexate ) is about as symptom free as its ever been.

B

bumgrapes

The planets have aligned at work, I've got the time off. I've got two trainers, three gyms and I'm even knocking the booze on the head for the duration.

Current tale of the tape

42 years lod
6 foot 3
17.2 stone/108kg
Arthritic old twat

Three sessions are technique, pads, drills and technical sparring all one to one with trainer

I need to put some CV in though, Opportunity to swim train seriously three mornings a week (my normal sport) and have a nice hill for hill sprints nearby

Hitting all the sessions my intake of scran has been pretty scary, seem to be hammering calories while still dropping weight. Trying to keep it healthy and regular.

Had a decent spar last night with a big slugger just a couple of rounds and some light 20% technical stuff with smaller people. Went well but got jaw cramp and slightly stiff this morning

Love n kisses theGimp
Tyson Fury has a Saturday free to spar...

Current tale of the tape

42 years lod
6 foot 3
17.2 stone/108kg
Arthritic old twat

Love n kisses theGimp
Double check that swimming is the right exercise for what you're doing. I'd be inclined to think HIIT training would be more appropriate, but that's just a hunch.

B

bumgrapes

Don't want to be a wet blanket,, but is boxing really a good idea for someone suffering from arthritis?

All the best though @thegimp

A guy in our London office went in for that white collar boxing lark.
Fair play for his efforts but the bout I saw was a tad one sided.

You know that pushing your head back out of harms way stance whilst flayling your arms in front technique. That was him.
His opponent the opposite, aggressive, confident & looked like he'd done it before. Painful to watch but kudos to him for going the distance.

Good luck with it & enjoy the training.

The_Duke

LE
Spar with as many different people as you can, building up to some very tough sparring. In the immortal words of a Mr M Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

The technical training is great. Being able to apply it in the third round when your snotter has gone pop in the first is better.

Go for the body, head shots look good but body shots do more damage, when he gets his guard up, give him lots of hits to the arms, make them tired so he can't hit you

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
If only spider38 wasn't on ROPs. He'd be the man to speak to for tips.

Just in case you doubt his credentials, here he is holding forth on the subject:

seems you are as dimissive as me then ,i boxed as an amateur and i never lost the training disipline i also regard myself as something of an old school boxing historian .

I'd fancy my chances if i got either of these two in the corner .
'These two' being Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao :)

Don't see the point in boxing.
Silly gert gloves..you can't scratch or pull hair with them on...

B

bumgrapes

Spar with as many different people as you can, building up to some very tough sparring. In the immortal words of a Mr M Tyson, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face".

The technical training is great. Being able to apply it in the third round when your snotter has gone pop in the first is better.
Basically you're advocating milling. How predictable

Make sure you go down in the 4th, there's a camp full of pikeys that might not think you're so funny.

Not when they're putting out flames on their children's backs.