Theft of weapons from Small Arms School Corp Museum

HE117

LE
I think it was all "tip of the iceberg" stuff, though. The fact that parts in most cases are untraceable probably prevented this from being a much wider investigation. I reckon quite a few individuals in the Trade were in a cold sweat for much of the time.

Regardless of the cluster around weapon/parts status in museums and military collections, and the SA80 fiasco, its still not really on for someone in a position of trust to use Crown property as a private parts bin for personal gain.
You could be right.. as I say I don't know! There is always a degree of "recycling" going on around the scrap bins in workshops.. As a Loggie, it is something you are aware of but have to tolerate as long as there is nothing too organised or criminal going on.

Just because the scrap is firearms oriented and does not involve starred or pressure bearing parts, is there really an issue in reality? Stuff like part worn sights, screws and furniture are just going to go to landfill anyway. I would doubt if there was the same hiatus if it were vehicle bolts or radio knobs... ?

Please do not forget that there were perfectly legal local disposal arrangement available to the units involved for non starred items..! Whether they bothered to keep proper records of this is entirely another question..!

HE117

LE
Irrespective of the criminal case aspect of it, if it is in fact the case that he presented himself to the School of Infantry as a REME Captain (whether reg or TA) but in fact wasn't (unless something turns up in the Gazette which is somehow missed by the search function for some reason, but surely there should be several entries in any case), got a job with them on that basis and had access to firearms as a result, that's not nothing...

Note: if something turns up in the Gazette that somehow escapes the search function, apologies will of course be in order.
Dunno... as I said, I have no knowledge of the nature of his relationship with Warminster! I always assumed he had an LE commission!

Dunno... as I said, I have no knowledge of the nature of his relationship with Warminster! I always assumed he had an LE commission!
It certainly seems that an awful lot of people have made exactly the same assumption, including Warminster, but as of writing there's still no actual evidence for it in the public record...

You could be right.. as I say I don't know! There is always a degree of "recycling" going on around the scrap bins in workshops.. As a Loggie, it is something you are aware of but have to tolerate as long as there is nothing too organised or criminal going on.

Just because the scrap is firearms oriented and does not involve starred or pressure bearing parts, is there really an issue in reality? Stuff like part worn sights, screws and furniture are just going to go to landfill anyway. I would doubt if there was the same hiatus if it were vehicle bolts or radio knobs... ?

Please do not forget that there were perfectly legal local disposal arrangement available to the units involved for non starred items..! Whether they bothered to keep proper records of this is entirely another question..!
But it *did* involve pressure bearing parts, and deactivating them, e.g. the L96 found in his garage IIRC, amongst others. We're not just talking about the odd screw, sights, bits of furniture and whatnot here.

Edited to add: "amongst others" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there ;)

Last edited:

4(T)

LE

I have a feeling this didn't just involve "scrap", but perhaps parts that were still biddable "in the system".

I wouldn't want to speculate further, but its probably worth considering an overview of what was of interest to the collecting and shooting community that may have been involved.

historicus

Swinger
Irrespective of the criminal case aspect of it, if it is in fact the case that he presented himself to the School of Infantry as a REME Captain (whether reg or TA) but in fact wasn't (unless something turns up in the Gazette which is somehow missed by the search function for some reason, but surely there should be several entries in any case), got a job with them on that basis and had access to firearms as a result, that's not nothing...

Note: if something turns up in the Gazette that somehow escapes the search function, apologies will of course be in order.
@stoatman - not passing comment one way or another on what you may find but on a great deal of experience I can confirm that the Gazette Search Function is not 100% reliable. The older the entry, the higher the probability that something will get missed. Given the vintage it is very likely to be an OCR of a paper record and those can be subject to errors in the hits you will get. I have had incidents where I have found a page with the entry I need and even with that in hand a search will not locate the hit I need on that page. It seems that some of their OCR puts in hidden spaces or useless null characters which can affect your search results (e.g. Miggins gets logged as Mig gins or Mig&gins so putting in the full name gets you nothing).

Just worth being aware of as a potential issue. Sometimes I have had to resort to just manually browsing when I know something should be there but the search engine turns up nothing.

@stoatman - not passing comment one way or another on what you may find but on a great deal of experience I can confirm that the Gazette Search Function is not 100% reliable. The older the entry, the higher the probability that something will get missed. Given the vintage it is very likely to be an OCR of a paper record and those can be subject to errors in the hits you will get. I have had incidents where I have found a page with the entry I need and even with that in hand a search will not locate the hit I need on that page. It seems that some of their OCR puts in hidden spaces or useless null characters which can affect your search results (e.g. Miggins gets logged as Mig gins or Mig&gins so putting in the full name gets you nothing).

Just worth being aware of as a potential issue. Sometimes I have had to resort to just manually browsing when I know something should be there but the search engine turns up nothing.
Yes, I noticed that when looking at a very close name, R J Laidler, one of whose entries got the surname scrambled (I noticed by searching on his army number out of interest). But it seems there'll always be at least 2 entries, a commission and a resignation of commission. Potentially a provisional commission + confirmation, and maybe a promotion in there, maybe a gong or two, so you'd expect enough entries for something to turn up when searching for a name cos they can't all be OCR-scrambled.

Another one I just spotted...

1593198877506.png

Latest Threads