Theft of weapons from Small Arms School Corp Museum

Mr Stevens

Swinger
Seems he was a Cadet Instructor Former armourer jailed for three years for stealing sniper rifles

Just old enough to have caught the end of the Malaya/Indonesia Confrontation.

London Gazette

GENERAL LIST COMBINED CADET FORCE TERRITORIAL ARMY Section B Abingdon School Contgt. Peter James LAIDLER (526905) to be 2nd Lt (on probation), 8th Jan. 1987. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/50927/supplement/6742/data.pdf
I had discounted that entry as it wasn’t regular or reserve service. On second thoughts it could be him.

Peter Laidler joined the Army in January 1963 aged between 15 and 17.5. He went to the Army Apprentice School in Carlisle in January 1963 joining intake 63A. He did a three year Army apprenticeship as an Armourer and he completed his training in December 1965 and would been posted to his first unit as a Craftsman about January 1966. The age spread I have given is because Apprentices were allowed to begin training between 15 to 17.5 although 15 to 16 was more common. On completion of his first six months in Junior Company he was then moved to C Company.
He is listed as a member of the Hadrians Old Boys Association. (Hadrians Camp was the name of the camp where the apprentice school was located).
He is currently a member of the REME Association but will probably lose that membership come September when he will be voted on due to his conviction.

He is in the photograph below, (as am I) of the Armourers of 63A. Sorry for the quality:

ugly

LE
Sorry for the belated addition to the thread, his name has just come up in a News Letter from the Armourers Association.
Don’t apologize it’s good information

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Greed.......

I was offered large envelope recently , told the subby, 'naw I don't do that mate'..he insisted.

I took it to get away from him then gave it to my Direcrtor ,unopened, the next day

He told me that there was a large sum in it ....... i just did the 'talk to the hand sign'......

No fecker buys me..... not when they can have me for a few beers and a cheeky smile ;-)
Just before our deployment on Banner a Pakistani came to Bn HQ carrying a large parcel, he wanted to see the CO, He was marched in, he asked the CO if he could have the contract for our coming tour, if so he would place £100 into the Co's personal account, he then tendered the parcel towards the CO. It was quite unbelievable, he was very rapidly shown the door. In the Rush the parcel was left in the Co's office on the floor. We opened it to reveal about 12 lovely expensive shirts. They were handed to a few soldiers who appreciated them. The Co's remarks were not quite PC! It was said in a fit of temper. preceded by, I sell my soul to no etc etc!

arcticfox042

War Hero
Sorry for the belated addition to the thread, his name has just come up in a News Letter from the Armourers Association.
I've just read the newsletter and it's confirmed he's out the association......... he let the branch down, he should of stuck to making brass cannons like the rest of us.........

arcticfox042

War Hero
Or Crib boards.
Ahhhhh crib boards or parade boots (jacobean dark oak, two swipes with a brush, £10 in the tea boat.... happy day, also buffing the brass lines off brasses... another £5 into the boat...
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 20.21.42.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 20.26.32.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 20.27.30.png

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Is there an echo in here ?

Ahhhhh crib boards or parade boots (jacobean dark oak, two swipes with a brush, £10 in the tea boat.... happy day, also buffing the brass lines off brasses... another £5 into the boat...View attachment 448841
People paid you to mess their boots up?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

arcticfox042

War Hero
People paid you to mess their boots up?
Every boot that left the Armourers Shop was pristine (Only toecaps and heels are done in RM not the whole boot Pongo style) I remember the RSM commenting on my boots on parade once, he said " well done lad, fine pair of boots, take a make-a-mend."

Seems he was a Cadet Instructor Former armourer jailed for three years for stealing sniper rifles

Just old enough to have caught the end of the Malaya/Indonesia Confrontation.

London Gazette

GENERAL LIST COMBINED CADET FORCE TERRITORIAL ARMY Section B Abingdon School Contgt. Peter James LAIDLER (526905) to be 2nd Lt (on probation), 8th Jan. 1987. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/50927/supplement/6742/data.pdf
A bit of thread necromancy, but here's the gentleman in question in a book he authored wearing the pips of a REME captain...

1592140611498.png

Not sure that an ex-REME corporal with a CCF captaincy really has the right to do that, no? :p

Can however confirm that he was a CCF captain in an awards list from 26 Aug 2003 here:

Although he'd resigned his commission as a Lt. on 1 May 2003:

HE117

LE
Can however confirm that he was a CCF captain in an awards list from 26 Aug 2003 here:

Although he'd resigned his commission as a Lt. on 1 May 2003:

This gets odder and odder.. I had some dealings with Peter a few years back, and he seemed OK.. his work on military scope sights was of a very high order!

I have an ex military friend who was in the Police with him.. I will see what his view is/was..

QRK2

LE
A bit of thread necromancy, but here's the gentleman in question in a book he authored wearing the pips of a REME captain...

View attachment 482221

Not sure that an ex-REME corporal with a CCF captaincy really has the right to do that, no? :p
No he does not, CCF (or ACF) must appear on the rank slide, allowably in combination with affiliated unit - ie REME CCF. Like this:

Latest Threads