Theft of weapons from Small Arms School Corp Museum

You try procuring washers, ball bearings or even bloody o-ring seals for standard retail price in the MoD. And if you manage it.... tell our Logistics people how!! :p
Simple you look at how much 'item x' costs elsewhere and use that as your base price for negotiations - buy more than one of anything and expect a discount.

I always used to get courses/training thrown for free in when I bought items in the army. "Well, if we buy it we want to be able to use it don't we so there is no point buying it if you do not show us how it works. Is there"?

Simple you look at how much 'item x' costs elsewhere and use that as your base price for negotiations - buy more than one of anything and expect a discount.

I always used to get courses/training thrown for free in when I bought items in the army. "Well, if we buy it we want to be able to use it don't we so there is no point buying it if you do not show us how it works. Is there"?
Sadly, most of our items are supplied through a specific defence contractor and, being tied in to them through a very inflexible agreement, thus we are at their mercy. Fun times.

I like your training wangling tactic however. It's been useful for me, though more with regards to "Oooooh, how does this thing work? Just so that I don't break it..... maybe you do a training module?"

My old man worked in defence contracting. They never made less than 30% profit on those jobs.
I seem to recall that Babcock aim for ~11.3% minimum through the MSDF contract on everything. General Dynamics, Northrop and Lockheed ain't cheap either.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Greed.......

I was offered large envelope recently , told the subby, 'naw I don't do that mate'..he insisted.

I took it to get away from him then gave it to my Direcrtor ,unopened, the next day

He told me that there was a large sum in it ....... i just did the 'talk to the hand sign'......

No fecker buys me..... not when they can have me for a few beers and a cheeky smile ;-)
I've no idea if you're talking about a Submissive, Sub-Altern or Sub-Contractor.

I know which one I hope it is. :D

Or how about DIO being totally blase (more like incompetent) about a contractor buying seriously expensive spares "needed to replace/repair infra". They arrive into contractors stores, issued off to the contractors maintenance teams (they are now paid for by DIO) and then put into the teams ISO containers to be forgotten about and never fitted. Roll forward months later and DIO get other contractors to put in tenders for jobs on the infra including supply and installation of same aforementioned spares that are sat in the ISO containers!
Oh well, its not like the MOD budget is not flush with money is it.......Doh!

Sadly, most of our items are supplied through a specific defence contractor and, being tied in to them through a very inflexible agreement, thus we are at their mercy. Fun times.

I like your training wangling tactic however. It's been useful for me, though more with regards to "Oooooh, how does this thing work? Just so that I don't break it..... maybe you do a training module?"
I used to buy items for printing and stationery all the way from half million quid printing presses down to a pack of 500 sheets of A4 paper - actually 15 tonnes of packs of 500 sheets of A4 paper a month. I did the running around and trying stuff out and had to get the companies to send their tenders up to the relevant dept in the MoD.

There were several times I questioned the eventual buying decisions/authorisations - to no avail. Mostly though, we got what we needed at a decent price that did not kill our budget and generally managed to get the extras like training, or 12 months servicing thrown as a sweetener.

My Mrs questioned the procurement authorisation process too, she was running YTS for BFG, NL and BE. She needed computer classroom putting in with something like 80 PC's to get the kids computer literacy qualified. The same knobber I dealt with at MoD was dealing with her. He insisted on Wangs, remember them? The Mrs argued like f*** as they were costing more than other quotes she had received. But, she had to take them along with the dent in her budget. She sent up an official complaint to the powers that be in the MoD.

Two years later I read an article in the Times that the knobber (an SEO) had been nicked by MoD Plod for fiddling contracts and taking backhanders - he went down, 2 years I think. Turned out his girlfriend worked for Wang, he also accepted a holiday to Hong Kong, or similar along with the other sweeteners he received.

Why on earth would he do that the mad fool assuming he is guilty that's a lot of folk about to be dissapointed with him
Do you know the mentioned Mr Bull?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was in that museum three weeks ago, it is quite impossible for visitors to nick anything; however they do have a room with buckets full of pistols etc, all deactivated for visitors to play about with. As you leave the area of lovely displays, Bonaparte's pistols etc, you pass through a security system similar to an airport security system. The reported inside job is a great act of betrayal to the staff there, they are so very dedicated and enthusiastic about what they do. I often saw enthusiastic instructors while serving, but the civilians that talk you through the weapons at the museum are up with the best of them.

Last edited:
Pleading not guilty when stolen firearms were found at your home can only be described as "highly optimistic".
Unless you have Sir Bob Massingbird as your brief.

I was in that museum three weeks ago, it is quite impossible for visitors to nick anything; however they do have a room with buckets full of pistols etc, all deactivated for visitors to play about with. As you leave the area of lovely displays, Bonaparte's pistols etc, you pass through a security system similar to an airport security system. The reported inside job is a great act of betrayal to the staff there, they are so very dedicated and enthusiastic about what they do. I often saw enthusiastic instructors while serving, but the civilians that talk you through the weapons at the museum are up with the best of them.

AFAIK the reporting is, as usual, wildly inaccurate and speculative. I'm not sure that this is to do with firearms from the reference collection per se, but more to do with parts and the disposal process of certain items.

Anyway, I guess we shouldn't discuss the matter at this stage. I'm very surprised that the MSM is allowing comments on this case, as it should of course be sub judice.

Pleading not guilty when stolen firearms were found at your home can only be described as "highly optimistic".
Well I have no idea how dealer licencing works but if he declared them,had them properly stored and could claim "reasonable belief that purchased in good faith..." it's not an unreasonable plea... Not going to work with the Auto's and handguns though as you can't have those at all...

Well I have no idea how dealer licencing works but if he declared them,had them properly stored and could claim "reasonable belief that purchased in good faith..." it's not an unreasonable plea... Not going to work with the Auto's and handguns though as you can't have those at all...
I dont know what licenses he had if any but as a museum curator he may have had Sect 5 , this would allow him to be in control of almost any firearm.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The person with the guns at home was an employee of the museum. As the guns are traceable to the museum and he had no apparent legitimate reason for them to be at his home (or sold on), his legal defence is going to have to be innovative indeed to get a not guilty plea.

Wordsmith

Snap: I've been made redundant for pretty much the same reason - refusing to pad the price of goods being sold via an agent to somewhere south of the equator by 6% so that it could be creamed off as 'commission',

If you sell via an agent and you have grounds to believe the agent is up to dodgy dealings, you can still be prosecuted for it, even if you haven't directly benefited from the corruption.

Wordsmith
Indeed, and if you do it as a UK citizen but on behalf of a US company the US will seek your extradition. Its something they take very seriously.