Theatre Nurses - Shortage or not?

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
According to MCM Div there is a shortage of Theatre Nurses. According to 'a senior officer' there is no shortage of Theatre Nurses. Who is right?

there was a shortage but since theyve had their establishment cut by a third, there is no longer a shortage! Theres probably still more than theres a need for as well.

Nurses should go where they are needed: wards, A&E, ITU and PHC.

There never seemed to be a shortage of Theatre Nurses for nice UK based postings, but a severe shortage of ones fit for deployment. I assume nothing has changed as that would explain why I am still getting letters asking me to volunteer for tours even though I left two years ago! Mouse, not sure what you mean by difficult to get into? Always was easy enough to get into A&E, ITU or Theatres. I had to do 6 months ward based when I enlisted then went straight to Theatres, would have thought they would make it easy if they are short?

from the limited contact i've had with military nurses, there seems to be a lot crying about how they want to get into these areas but cant, and on our postings brief it was made to sound as though all we had to do was ask after our 1st 6 months as you said.

so, are the people complaining not going about it the right way, or are we just being told its that easy to keep us 'motivated' through training?

Face it Filbert, Theatre nurses are a necessity, they are so much more versatile than ODA's. able to multi task, if anything I feel a valid replacement for ODA's. :twisted:

Theatre Nurses, their days are numbered!

dui-lai said:
Much prettier than ODPs........let's be honest here, it ain't that hard now is it :twisted:
ooooh so cutting!

The Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) passing through UCE at the moment are well trained and multi-disciplined. The ODP can carry out the roles of anaesthetics, scrub and recovery whilst the theatre nurse can scrub, drink brews and bitch all day about some other scrub nurse they know or why an ODP is doing a job they feel they should be doing. Sorry to push your noses out but its our theatres and you know where the door is...Bye xxx :D

I am obviously a bit behind the times now Mouse, but there never was a problem as far as I knew. The only problem was dragging nurses in off the wards. Limited exposure during training now means that most nurses never consider theatres as an option. I guess A&E and ITU have similar problems recruiting otherwise the army wouldn't be offering golden hellos to entice in civi trained nurses. A lot of nurses were put off these career options as the tour rate was also perceived as being higher than most specialities (which it was/is). I love theatres and have no regrets about choosing it, worked with some fantastic, highly skilled professionals from a completely multidisciplinary background (and ODPs :wink: ). Also, on tours most people don't understand your role so you get left well alone to get on with it.

Best advice I can give you is go and see the NOIC Theatres/A&E/ITU wherever you are and make sure they know you are interested. That's what I did and I nearly got my arm ripped off as I was dragged over to the dark side.

Devils_Kin said:
The Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) passing through UCE at the moment are well trained and multi-disciplined. The ODP can carry out the roles of anaesthetics, scrub and recovery whilst the theatre nurse can scrub, drink brews and bitch all day about some other scrub nurse they know or why an ODP is doing a job they feel they should be doing. Sorry to push your noses out but its our theatres and you know where the door is...Bye xxx :D[/quote

So glad that they also teach you humility.

Get over yourself and remember to get a qualified nurse to check you haven't stolen any CDs during the shift.

As far as I know nurses are also qualified to work in all areas if they choose to follow that path. Most realise that rather than be a jack of all trades they are better being master of one. You have probably been trained by theatre nurses, but you obviously still have a lot to learn :p

Scarlet, you are out of touch somewhat, read my first post in this thread, the scrub nurse establishment has been cut by a third already and there are more cuts to come.

ODPs arent trained by scrub nurses, theyre trained at uni and on clinical placements at hospitals, while on placement they are under an ODP mentor (how many scrub nurses have the mentorship qualification? they still seem to be bogged down by the NVQ D32, 33,34 etc.. which is obviousley outdated now in this environment), theres a panic going on in the QA scrub nurse world as they do know that their days in their scrub only role are numbered, do they really want to go back to ward shifts? 6 month GD nurse deployments? No of course they dont, but will they go and do a 12 - 18 month course to bring them up to date? no probably not and of course would DANS pay for this course? as hes just cut the cadre by a third, probably not.

your statement of 'get a qualified nurse to check you haven't stolen any CDs during the shift' is about right at the moment, its the only job that they have left in theatres, so cling onto it (we could always nip into recovery and ask one of the nurses in their to come and check of course!). There are also civilian nurses who are perioperative practitioners! (we are in the age of the MDHU)
And with HPC registration, the time may come when the nurse isnt needed to check the CDs either!

Scarlet_and_Grey said:
You have probably been trained by theatre nurses, but you obviously still have a lot to learn
at least you admit to the short comings of the theatre nurse!

But how long have we been hearing that our days are numbered? The biggest threat was that Nurses were too expensive compared to ODPs. However, now that your training is slowly comming into the modern age surely the next step is the equivilant pay to the level of qualification? Most senior ODPs I know have been banging on about commisioning since time began. I have always believed, and ODPs that I have spoken to agree, that there will always be a place for both trades in theatre. Nurses have just got on with it, but as the up and comming trade ODPs seem to have to blow their own trumpet continually. You are just another part of the MDT, nothing more, nothing less. As for not being trained by nurses, I agree. Most nurses are not 'bogged down' by the NVQ system, they simply have opted out of your training, why should they have to go through the pain of gaining multiple qualifications to train junior staff to then find that they are out of date as the goal posts have moved? Sort your training system out then you may find others will take you more seriously. Final point, during training ODP students are exposed to all clinical areas, but once they are qualified the vast majority will work in Anaesthetics. VERY few will choose the scrub path and even less will work in recovery. As for the ODAs and OTTs, they wold have sh*t themselves if ever asked to scrub and recovery was a nursing only duty, so who is teaching these ODPs these skills? If you are ignoring the wealth of experience nurses have in these areas then you are foolish, if you are teaching from text books and teaching ideals then can I introduce you to the 'theory/practice gap'?

Scarlet and Grey I think you need to get your facts right before giving any input to this subject.

ODP's are trained by ODP's and the theatre trade is being cut because there is no need for them now. ODP's are now governed by HPC and the need for theatre nurses is no more! We no longer do the NVQ level qualification which is outdated (God bless the old NVQ boys as they can still cut the mustard and very good at the job, You can never beat experience!) but we do the diploma and degree level courses.

Nurses are not opting out of perioperative training, they are no longer being accepted because of the cuts being made and the exsisting theatre nurses are being pushed back to the wards. I even heard that some are debating leaving the forces as they can't stand the idea of going back to wiping arses.

And as for the anaesthetic crap you were talking. ODP's can no longer concentrate in one discipline and off duties accomadate for this by rotating the staff...Mainly ODPS now around theatre to cover Scrub, Anaesthetics and recovery which we must all do to maintain our registration.

Oh and yes thanks for the experience and training but we have now gained the experience from the theatre nurse and no longer need them. This is not a slagging but just the truth. Ask any of the older more experienced oda's or ott's and they will tell you that we are a stand alone discipline now and thank the theatre nurses for their time but theatres is ours now and it is time for the theatre nurse to be put to bed or moved on.

Scarlet_and_Grey said:
But how long have we been hearing that our days are numbered? The biggest threat was that Nurses were too expensive compared to ODPs.
Oh S&G, catch up, it was announced by DANS about 3 weeks ago about the slashing of a third of the establishment with more to follow, the biggest threat to scrubbers (apart from all they can do is scrub) is actually DANS.

Stop talking bollox and speak to a serving scrub nurse, shes the one threatening to sign off. :D

Filbert Fox said:
Scarlet_and_Grey said:
But how long have we been hearing that our days are numbered? The biggest threat was that Nurses were too expensive compared to ODPs.
Oh S&G, catch up, it was announced by DANS about 3 weeks ago about the slashing of a third of the establishment with more to follow, the biggest threat to scrubbers (apart from all they can do is scrub) is actually DANS.

Stop talking bollox and speak to a serving scrub nurse, shes the one threatening to sign off. :D
It has been a long time since I set foot in Theatres (I'm happy and I bet they are too), but I'd pay good money to see the ODAs I remember from the old days working Recovery.

ODAs? The Army called us OTTs until 1997 (officially 1999) when we became ODPs.