The Yanks Have Done it, so Let's Bring Back Battldress

BD could look good,tailored blouses,weights in trousers.This is a Quarter Guard for Lord Mountbatten visiting C Sqn. 11 Hussars at Castle Archdale ,1960.Needed lots of time on ironing board however.
The Sqd guard for Lord Mountbaton at Castle Archdale (1).jpg

IIRC, the Germans introduced a version of battledress in 1944. We tend to under-sell ourselves but that's a compliment from the Germans. They recognised battledress as a practical, easier to make, uniform.

I've worn battledress. It was crap. It was especially cr@p if you got a WW2 surplus "Blouse, Battledress" that leached blue dye on to your No 5 white shirt every time it rained.

I believe the RN was still issuing battledress to Midshipmen at Dartmouth until the 1990s!

Ours had shiny brass buttons though, as demonstrated by this typically good looking naval officer.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BD was OK as a barrack dress but I am glad I did not have to wear it as combats.

Wore it at IJLB and they were tailored so fitted well. IIRC we did not have the BD jacket but wore the trousers in shirt sleeve order or with jersey heavy woolley-pulley. Drill order was BD trousers,shirt/ jersey, ammo boots shiny and studded, twat hat, 47 pattern belt, frog, SLR and bayonet. In those days we kept our SLR and bayonet in our lockers when not in use.

There were three basic forms of uniform for drill which were used in other bits of training as required

A. No2 dress, best boots, twat hat, white belt and frog (not plastic!), white rifle sling
B. BD, second boots, highly polished:cool: , 37 pattern belt and frog - blancoed, twat hat, blancoed rifle sling.
C. Denims, starched and pressed with razor sharp creases which lasted about 15 seconds after putting them on. Denim trousers, denim jacket (blazer style not BD style) anklets - blancoed, 37 pattern belt n frog plus rifle sling all blancoed. (Brasses shiny :sunny: )DMS boots, highly polished, beret, brushed!

I was regularly informed that Burton's* couldn't make me look smart! :(

* a gentleman's tailor of the time for you youngsters

Last edited:
Jesus. I remember BD from my school CCF in the 60s. Horrible, horrible bullshitty pressing regime - two creases on the arms, two on the front (vertical, through the pockets), five on the back (one horizontal, WRAC bra-strap hider stylee), two parallel creases down the sides, each side....

I suppose if BD comes back, so will dressed webbing belts with shiny buckles. Hey ho for Fleet Number Seven dressing, Duraglit and silly bloody chains to hold the trousers bloused over the anklets.

I hope you chaps still serving enjoy it!
Off topic, but in the book 'Mouthful of Rocks' the author describes how as part of his final test to join the FFL, he had to put 27 razor sharp creases in his shirt, whilst out in the field, in the open and using nothing more than a hot mess tin.

Sod that.

@auld yin did you wear "fatigues" for general day to day stuff? they were like a heavy denim with big side pockets in the coat, and they also had to be ironed.

Last edited:
Off topic, but in the book 'Mouthful of Rocks' the author describes how as part of his final test to join the FFL, he had to put 27 razor sharp creases in his shirt, whilst out in the field, in the open and using nothing more than a hot mess tin.

Sod that.
The author is a Légion deserter, most of his tales of "hardship" are a load of bollocks.
Been there got the Tshirt

I bet there were some disappointed feckers around when they were told they were being given a blouse and it turned out not to be made of silk and covered in frilly shit.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Looking for a modern version of BD? Find a picture of CS 95 sans field jacket, or MTP sans field jacket. There you have it.

WTF are they wearing on their heads, especially the two on the left of the photo.
That's where they kept their dinner plates!

You had to be lean to wear it well.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer