The Yanks Have Done it, so Let's Bring Back Battldress

had some battle dress knocking about in the cadet hut it was awful awful stuff.
The yanks think its a win but are resigned to something thing else being really awful.

BD,as issued,really baggy,extremely itchy.Blouse tailored to skin tight straightjacket when in 11Hussars,looked good.Train Guard,Berlin.....before my time.
47a2d922b3127cce9854847fce9d00000030100BaNHLhu5cMq.jpg

I wore battle dress in the Air Training Corps as a young cadet. It was warm in the winter especially with the greatcoat but we never wore it on adventure training. They issued us with overalls for the mucky stuff.

Later on when I joined the army in 1971 as a boy soldier in the JIB at Shornecliffe, we wore no2’s Like the rest of the army but we were also issued with BD’s as a backup.

The BD trousers were usually worn on educational periods which was a couple of hours a week and the only time I wore full BD’s was when I was once awarded two days janker’s and on one occasion had to parade in the guardroom in them one evening. I always wore long johns under the trousers because they were so bloody itchy.

I did find towards the end of my boy service that the blouse was actually a really good body warmer when worn under your combat jacket on top of the jumper. The large pockets on the front were very handy as well because they were easy to get to. The blouse made many a very cold night on exercise slightly more comfortable because it kept you just that little bit more cosy. It was 20 times better than the issued body warmer which was a flimsy thin quilted thing with no arms.

Unfortunately, when I left boys service en route to my battalion, the BD’s had to be handed back in which was a shame. I spent a lot of very cold nights in Germany wishing I still possessed mine.

Last edited:

BD,as issued,really baggy,extremely itchy.Blouse tailored to skin tight straightjacket when in 11Hussars,looked good.Train Guard,Berlin.....before my time. View attachment 362883
Something to do with the risk of sparks maybe?

Although you'd assume if a hobnail spark was dangerous you'd probably not want to start shooting.

Something to do with the risk of sparks maybe?

Although you'd assume if a hobnail spark was dangerous you'd probably not want to start shooting.
Thought it might have been more to do with peace and quiet for VIP's..........sounds ridiculous considering noise of steam train?

The management at Hugo Boss are hoping for a full order book soon I imagine.
For the new European Army no doubt? Colour could be a stumbling block with so many competing national claims. I imagine they will choose something neutral. Black perhaps.

Jesus. I remember BD from my school CCF in the 60s. Horrible, horrible bullshitty pressing regime - two creases on the arms, two on the front (vertical, through the pockets), five on the back (one horizontal, WRAC bra-strap hider stylee), two parallel creases down the sides, each side....

I suppose if BD comes back, so will dressed webbing belts with shiny buckles. Hey ho for Fleet Number Seven dressing, Duraglit and silly bloody chains to hold the trousers bloused over the anklets.

I hope you chaps still serving enjoy it!

Are you feckin mental? And have you ever worn it?
No. I know BD was itchy and scratchy (having found a BD blouse when clearing out a garage I can see why) but presumably when introduced it was seen as being 'normal' for army uniforms and it's the soft post war youths' fault for not putting up with it. And presumably no different to the uniforms of other European armies at the time in that respect?

When introduced though, wouldn't it also have been seen as modern (except of course the RAF's) when compared to some others and there are those who extolled its virtues?

The Yanks spoiled it though when they came along in their fancy smanshy collar and tie unforms and having separate togs fer fighting in. Suddenly, itchy and scracthy BD looked even less appealing.

FAD was introduced a few years ago so there are some years to go before the next change and maybe when that happens BD style jackets will be back in fashion, then bob's yer dad and it will be so uber cool to come out with an updated battledress in moderm materials and a better cut but still looking retro.

When I was a kid, I think it was late 60's when we were in Edinburgh and there were Norwegian soldiers (I think) in Ike type jacket uniform and at the time I thought they looked smart.

Will it happen? I doubt it. And anyway short BD type jackets aren't flattering to fat knackers and any movemnt will reveal a badly tucked in shirt, unless of course your trouser belt is all the way up to your chest like in the olden days and you're not allowed to take the jacket off.

But I do think the propsed new US army uniform does look smart. Much better than their blue uniform which is meant to become the more formal attire.