The yanks are pulling out of Afghan next year!

Breaking News coming out of CNN confirming that U.S forces are to end combat missions in Afghan next year.

No doubt that Britain will now do the same.

“Hopefully by mid to the latter part of 2013 we’ll be able to make a transition from a combat role to a training, advise and assist role,” Panetta said. His comment, while en route to Brussels for a NATO meeting, was confirmed to CNN by a defense official.

That comment can be taken many ways - and I would expect that the transition will be a gradual one.

And another source:

US plans to end Afghan combat mission in 2013 | World news | guardian.co.uk

To summarise, the US will be "ending its combat role in the second half of 2013" and is still aiming to be completely out by the end of 2014. If you're surprised then you haven't been paying attention. If theres anyone out there that still thinks what we are doing in AFG is worth the cost I have yet to meet them, outside a few careerists within the Army.

I fully expect that we will be mirroring this timetable so we are one, two tops, HERRICKs away from starting to turn off the Ops cycle. Probably about time to start thinking about what to do with the Army after HERRICK then. Oh, and if the current government doesn't see it as an opportunity to shift some more soldiers into the Reserves I shall eat my hat.

No doubt they will be leaving an efficient and higly motivated Afgan army which is capable of securing the integrity of the country.
Just like they have done in the past.

Actually the OP not such a dick. CNN did say American troops would be withdrawing from Afghanistan next year as a "breaking news" story. They then changed it to they would be ending operations in 2013. This was followed by ending combat operations.

Someone will be able to remember when Dubya announced the war in Iraq was won, when combat operations were over and then when troops actually left. Three very different dates I am sure!

Combat operations are already reducing as ANA take over.

O'Barma will have to play up the "handing over" line strongly in his election campaign to shore up his democratic credentials (and share of vote)

Whoever wins at the end of the year will suddenly listen to their military commander and take the advice that the ANA cannot yet step up to the job. Normal jogging will resume.