The worst book Ive ever read...

Mr Happy

LE
You think that the DaVinci code is bad, try Dan Brown's Digital Fortress.
I just have been building a book wall (like a library but 1/4 as many books) and am upacking books that have been in storage for ober a decade I see my other half has read both but no more. I shall have to ask her which one broke the author in her mind...

I just have been building a book wall (like a library but 1/4 as many books) and am upacking books that have been in storage for ober a decade I see my other half has read both but no more. I shall have to ask her which one broke the author in her mind...
Probably the first but it was on 2 for 1. :p

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Worst? As in badly written, shoddy plotting, pish-poor characterisation and general turdiness - nothing I've read in years comes close to:

The Da Vinci Code

It's just apppalling - from the very first page you know it's a turkey. Its great success did nothing to disprove my theory of the general thinckness and gullibility of people.
I remember about the time of the millennium, all the luvies giving off about reading the Da Vinci Code, they raved and raved about it, like a fool I fell for it! I got to almost the start of the second chapter before it was slung in the wood burner! Load of bloody rubbish. "Do those folk read anything decent"

Whining Civvy

Old-Salt
Good grief, where to start.

The biggest pile of utter crap I've ever had the misfortune to pick up is called "The Book With No Name", written by an author who very wisely preferred to remain anonymous. The very worst part of it is that the abysmal storyline, unoriginal plot and ridiculous characters are so compelling that I read it right through to the end. Imagine that you are a ferociously heterosexual man (I know, right) who accidentally finds himself in a gay threeway and discovers, to his horror, that he enjoys it. That how I feel about this crap.

On a more serious note, there's a lot of terrible Science Fiction about these days, most of it written by the ID politics crowd and published, I presume, to demonstrate the progressive credentials of the publishing house. It's shite. Tread carefully when buying, even from established authors.

I have a continuing problem with relatives who send me birthday/Christmas present books from authors who they think I might be keen on; Stephen Fry, Dan Brown and anything from the BBC's 'quiz' department are the most despised. Hard to tell them to fùck off, but it would be socks otherwise.

(Edit: I've got all of Ayn Rand, so if you're reading this, don't bother with that either).

On a more serious note, there's a lot of terrible Science Fiction about these days, most of it written by the ID politics crowd and published, I presume, to demonstrate the progressive credentials of the publishing house. It's shite. Tread carefully when buying, even from established authors.
I've heard that's why blokes of a certain age stopped buying 2000AD .

As a boy growing up in the 60's I got a book for Christmas, which was entitled "100 Short Science-Fiction Stories". Typical of it's day, it had stories of adventurers travelling the stars, having adventures.

One story stood out amongst them, simply for both it's title, and brevity of three words (genuinely, I'm not making this up..):

Title: Sign Seen at the End, of the Universe.

,,Ԁ∩ ⅄∀M SIH┴,,

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Good grief, where to start.

The biggest pile of utter crap I've ever had the misfortune to pick up is called "The Book With No Name", written by an author who very wisely preferred to remain anonymous. The very worst part of it is that the abysmal storyline, unoriginal plot and ridiculous characters are so compelling that I read it right through to the end. Imagine that you are a ferociously heterosexual man (I know, right) who accidentally finds himself in a gay threeway and discovers, to his horror, that he enjoys it. That how I feel about this crap.

I've read that. It's the sort of book that I imagine Quentin Tarantino might write. Very odd but somehow compelling. Did I mention that it is odd?

daz

LE
As a boy growing up in the 60's I got a book for Christmas, which was entitled "100 Short Science-Fiction Stories". Typical of it's day, it had stories of adventurers travelling the stars, having adventures.

One story stood out amongst them, simply for both it's title, and brevity of three words (genuinely, I'm not making this up..):

,,Ԁ∩ ⅄∀M SIH┴,,
Almost as bad as this one from Arthur C. Clarke.

Neutron Tide - Tarzan's Tripes Forever, and Other Feghoots

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And I bet all these bad books have a wonderful cover full of quotes like,
Taut writing and gripping.
This story bristles with excitement
Genuine page turner.
I’m convinced that the publishers make these snippets up. A lot to be said for that old saying about books and covers.

,,Ԁ∩ ⅄∀M SIH┴,,
If I'm honest, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Author might just have been someone like Douglas Adams, in an early dabble with his sense of humour and style.

If I'm correct, he certainly improved on word count and content!

daz

LE
If I'm honest, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Author might just have been someone like Douglas Adams, in an early dabble with his sense of humour and style.

If I'm correct, he certainly improved on word count and content!
The story is Sign at the End of the Universe by Duane Ackerson, the book was 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, collated and edited by Isaac Asimov

The story is Sign at the End of the Universe by Duane Ackerson, the book was 100 Great Science Fiction Short Short Stories, collated and edited by Isaac Asimov
Thank you very much! I've been trying hard to remember the exact details since this thread stimulated my sixties (both decade and age) memory. You've obviously done better in remembering than I..;)

Whining Civvy

Old-Salt
I've read that. It's the sort of book that I imagine Quentin Tarantino might write. Very odd but somehow compelling. Did I mention that it is odd?
Yes, that's absolutely the impression I got too. I suspect the author was fifteen years old when it was written and has been on something of a movie binge before being given a pen and his very first six pack.

image.jpeg

Absolute ****, it's my own fault for thinking it was an actual diary,it's not and the adventures of the 'hero' get more ludicrous with every page.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes it is a crap book BUT so mind numbing it is I think a good book for those 12 hour flights to somewhere . You just lose your mind the awesome crapness.

One I even tried to watch the film
I confess I quite liked the book. It wasn't nearly as 'wtf' as the film.

Latest Threads