The worst berets you have ever seen(pics appreciated)?

VLTR

Swinger
Just curious, but can anyone here post pictures of the worst berets(beret shapes) that you have ever seen? It could be either from your time in service or from the internet.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
1618818009902.png

Close the thread.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Me. 81 or 82. Depending on the year (it's 40 years ago) it was either my driver's Clansman harness or a random in the squadron and he asked FHQ for a control signaller to fix in the middle of an exercise.

I've been rummaging upside down trying to find a loose connection. Fixed, right hand comes out to push and lift, blink, regimental photographer (now a Chelsea Pensioner) catches me fair and square before I can adjust beret.

It may or may not have been the same day I recovered my commander's lead from FHQ, allegedly fixed after I'd spent a week working off the gunner's box and had a go at FHQ every time I saw them cos it still wasn't fixed.

All wired up, select Live IC, blow into mike, nothing. No response, get annoyed, select IC, shout at driver, "How McTaggart can you hear me or what?" Cue every head in the Squadron turning to me (we were about to leave a leaguer) and shout, "WE CAN HEAR YOU!"

Rip out commander's lead, run over to FHQ, "IT'S STILL BIFFED!" Throw in back of Sultan. Run back, take gunner's headset, "Rewire mine as it was." Move out.

Rearrange the words teddy bear happy not.

Clansman? Give me Larkspur. An operator's system.

Last edited:
I rather suspect the IDF will take gold, silver and bronze on this thread.

Me. 81 or 82. Depending on the year (it's 40 years ago) it was either my driver's Clansman harness or a random in the squadron and he asked FHQ for a control signaller to fix in the middle of an exercise.

I've been rummaging upside down trying to find a loose connection. Fixed, left hand comes out to push and lift, blink, regimental photographer (now a Chelsea Pensioner) catches me fair and square before I can adjust beret.

It may or may not have been the same day I recovered my commander's lead from FHQ, allegedly fixed after I'd spent a week working off the gunner's box and had a go at FHQ every time I saw them cos it still wasn't fixed.

All wired up, select Live IC, blow into mike, nothing. No response, get annoyed, select IC, shout at driver, "How McTaggart can you hear me or what?" Cue every head in the Squadron turning to me (we were about to leave a leaguer) and shout, "WE CAN HEAR YOU!"

Rip out commander's lead, run over to FHQ, "IT'S STILL BIFFED!" Throw in back of Sultan. Run back, take gunner's headset, "Rewire mine as it was." Move out.

Rearrange the words teddy bear happy not.

Clansman? Give me Larkspur. An operator's system.

Same regiment but a little earlier (Batus 74) and REME attached.
MEREBIMUR.

Screenshot_20200402-160935_WhatsApp_copy_1080x1096_copy_1080x1076_copy_1080x1061_copy_1066x1038.jpg

Any post-95 para with the rotating cap badge alignment.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Here´s one of your own:

View attachment 566498

I didn´t realise he was a badged para:

View attachment 566499
Monty was ...flexible in his capbadge selection, and was also Colonel Commandant of the Regiment.

"In Italy Monty was presented a maroon beret by Maj Gen Hopkinson shortly before he himself was killed. Monty wore that same beret for many years after and it is now in the collection of the Airborne Assault Museum.

Monty was then ordered back to the UK in January 1944 to command the newly formed 21st Army Group and prepare for the invasion of Normandy. During this time Monty visited airborne forces wearing his maroon beret, windak smock and camouflaged parachute silk scarf.

This enduring relationship with airborne forces lasted throughout Monty's life and in 1944 he was appointed Colonel Commandant of the Parachute Regiment."

I have posted the pic below on another thread ... some time ago .... just a soldier at random from The Ecky Thump Regiment ...

Israeli Ecky Thump.JPG

Latest Threads