The world's biggest grave robbery: Asia’s disappearing WWII shipwrecks

Fair enough. In fact there is no news at the moment - so you've definitely missed nothing.
The only bit that I did catch, stopped me for a moment. It was the BBC reporting on the bridge collapse in Genoa.
The male reporter finished his report with the words ‘...modern bridges just should not collapse like that.’ I had to run it through my mind a couple of times but no he was not being sarcastic or nasty or anything else. He actually told viewers that modern bridges should not be collapsing.

Amazing. I switched over to motogp re runs whilst waiting for my daughter to finish her snooze.

The only bit that I did catch, stopped me for a moment. It was the BBC reporting on the bridge collapse in Genoa.
The male reporter finished his report with the words ‘...modern bridges just should not collapse like that.’ I had to run it through my mind a couple of times but no he was not being sarcastic or nasty or anything else. He actually told viewers that modern bridges should not be collapsing.

Amazing. I switched over to motogp re runs whilst waiting for my daughter to finish her snooze.
I'd agree with him...they shouldn't.

.Wonder what the frenchies might do in a similar situation?they do have a bit of history dealing with naughtyness,as they saw it.
Human remains-When Ballard found the Titacic & the Hood,he explained that apart from scavengers,there was some sort of chemical reaction at those depths that destroyed bones etc,but not the footwear,hence pairs of boots & shoes lying neatly on the bottom side by side

We can't even properly fund our active defence forces and other institutions of state, let alone protect our heritage and graves on the other side of the globe.

China is helping itself to our wrecks, in the same way that it is looting wildlife, resources and territory wherever it pleases. I doubt that any dribble from a UK minister will even be heard out east, let alone heeded.
Don’t disagree with you, but if we salvage the wrecks ourselves, and use the proceeds to pay for it, the only expense to the military is the cost of making sure that there are suitable people on hand to ensure that any remains recovered are treated with the respect they are due.

Just trying to see if there is a way to prevent remains being disrespected.

Much to visible, ask the gentlemen from Hereford, to remedy the situation, I'm sure "Them" would be delighted to preserve our proud heritage, and leave our servicemen who sleep at sea, in peace, free from desecration and plunder.

I suspect if someone started chopping US war graves en masse, the outcome might be rather kinetic

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
This story is about to be revisited by the BBC on the One O'clock News.
Where it was pointed out with the usual BBC sidestepping that PoW and Repulse were "lost" and no mention given to the nation which did the bombing.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Much to visible, ask the gentlemen from Hereford, to remedy the situation, I'm sure "Them" would be delighted to preserve our proud heritage, and leave our servicemen who sleep at sea, in peace, free from desecration and plunder.
Get real, how would they pose for pics in the latest label kit ?

Don’t disagree with you, but if we salvage the wrecks ourselves, and use the proceeds to pay for it, the only expense to the military is the cost of making sure that there are suitable people on hand to ensure that any remains recovered are treated with the respect they are due.

Just trying to see if there is a way to prevent remains being disrespected.
I'd suggest it would cost a lot more to officially salvage the wrecks than it would if some thieving bastards did it.

It would also probably cost quite a bit more to bring up the remains, than it would chunks of metal as well.

Ballard was being polite, I reckon. Most, if not all, of the skeletal remains will decay away within a few years, depending on depth and oxygen content of the water.

It doesn't matter whether there are surviving skeletal remains or not, the point about the wrecks is that they are "graveyards", scenes of death, consecrated burial grounds, memorial sites, etc.

That concept is pretty much the same across all human cultures, and always has been. That even includes the suspected perpetrators, Chinese private or government looters.

Where it was pointed out with the usual BBC sidestepping that PoW and Repulse were "lost" and no mention given to the nation which did the bombing.
FFS.

The main point is the desecration of a War Grave. It wasn't supposed to be a basic history lesson.

"Sidestepping"?

Bollcks.

It doesn't matter whether there are surviving skeletal remains or not, the point about the wrecks is that they are "graveyards", scenes of death, consecrated burial grounds, memorial sites, etc.

That concept is pretty much the same across all human cultures, and always has been. That even includes the suspected perpetrators, Chinese private or government looters.

Militarily, it’s only a fairly recent tradition.
Right up the the middle of the 1800’s, it was still common to sell off scavenger rights to the bones on battlefields to fertiliser firms here in Europe.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Militarily, it’s only a fairly recent tradition.
Right up the the middle of the 1800’s, it was still common to sell off scavenger rights to the bones on battlefields to fertiliser firms here in Europe.
Any link ?

I've seen several archeological digs on TV that involve looting of the dead.