The World Health Organization declares a global flu pandemic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, we're all going to die?

Fear not, G Brown will save us.

2. pandemics are a matter of Geography, rather than cases

3. Dear God, it can't be true! RUN FOR THE HILLS CHILDREN, RUUUUUUUN!!!

4. Am I right in thinking that all this means is it's spreading globally, rather than that it's particularly serious? If so, what's the story?

5. If we are all going to die I'd better start drinking all the wine I have been squirrelling away.................:)

6. Yes, Poppy, we're all going to die. Not necessarily of swine flu though. Or indeed any time soon.

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

As the BBC said this morning - 'The disease isn't getting more serious, just more widespread'.

That doesn't sell papers though.

And is 'global pandemic' tautology?

8. I refer you to my post just above yours....its about geography. Be aware however that whilst many may take the michael regarding the seriousness of this pandemic, it is different in many ways because those who have become seriously ill have not been from the normal affected groups (old, inferm etc).
    It is also spreading rapidly in Aus and S America as they are entering their Winter when influenza type illnesses are traditionally more active.

I am guessing will will see a big increase in numbers come September

9. Don't be discouraged from drinking the wine, though Pops - you know you'll be bidding on more for another charity auction soon enough! ;)

10. 3 people a minute die from COPD. I think this puts it into perspective.
    RC

11. Since when have the rules of the English language had ANYTHING to do with journalism?! :?

12. I can't remember where I hid that case..........I am saving it for a special occasion. There was a case on my doorstep when I staggered home at 0030 last night though :)

13. Want to know how many are dying, how fast and of what? take a look at this link, quite interesting!

http://www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock.swf