The world has finally gone mad

Yep it's everywhere now.

Flipping through my Sky Movies Film Guide and planner a couple of days ago I noticed once again that they were showing "Aliens - Director's Cut" from 1986. In the info text box was something along the lines of "Contains outdated language and attitudes which some may find offensive". :rolleyes:

As a society we truly are fucked. :(
But wait... Aliens is set in the future, so will our attitudes in the future, which will then be the ‘now’, be outdated by the standards of what will then be the distant past that folks of the past had assumed of the future?
Or will we look back and say “We were right to assume that in the future we would still be right about our assumptions of past wrongness in the future”?

Stibbon

Old-Salt
But wait... Aliens is set in the future, so will our attitudes in the future, which will then be the ‘now’, be outdated by the standards of what will then be the distant past that folks of the past had assumed of the future?
Or will we look back and say “We were right to assume that in the future we would still be right about our assumptions of past wrongness in the future”?

I think you should write in ...

Maybe they should prosecute the Weyland Yutani corporation for genocide of the Xenomorphs that they will cause in the future

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm deeply offended by the portrayal of the Trumpton fire brigade with no black members or women firefighters

Not to mention the appalingly slows response time, driving at 4 miles an hour and singing songs on the way to an incident.
This is gen.
My brother was a station manager.
They used to sing [badly] all the time on the way to shouts.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
I'm deeply offended by the portrayal of the Trumpton fire brigade with no black members or women firefighters

Not to mention the appalingly slows response time, driving at 4 miles an hour and singing songs on the way to an incident.
I totally get you. It's a disgrace and we should be ashamed.

Not only the above, but what was all that "not moving your arms whilst you walk" shit about?

The only kids I ever knew at school who walked like that were complete nerds who never had any dinner money ...

Warren Mitchell was Jewish and a lifelong Labour supporter, he had said on record that Till Death Us do Part was a parody of people who held those views in the 70's
Jewish you say?

Wrong type of parody Comrade.

Some of ’The Repair Śhop’ is good stuff, particularly the restoration of old mechanical stuff. However, ripping the nose off a prized teddy and sewing a new bear on the back of it doesn’t impress me...
Trigger's Teddy?

I've just been channel surfing and alighted upon the last series of Citizen Smith (S4E1) where Wolfie and the lads are banged up after unconvincingly storming Parliament in a Scorpion tank.

At the start, there's some text inserted over the opening scenes with some guff along the lines of "dated show, may contain dated attitudes". However, some snowflake/puritan has also taken the trouble to (I assume) digitise the recording and then carefully pixellate out the girlie calendars on their cell wall. This is on Forces TV FFS.

When will the madness stop?
Citizen Smith (Sweet Sorrow) is on Friday night, that's the one with the home made balaclavas......... :grin:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

crosseyed.jpg

Citizen Smith (Sweet Sorrow) is on Friday night, that's the one with the home made balaclavas......... :grin:

Never tried home made. The shop bought ones are way too sweet for my taste and the stickiness gets a bit much.

SurviveToFight

Old-Salt
In the unlikely event that they ever show Zulu un-cut on one of the main, terrestrial channels again, this would be an appropriate warning:

"WARNING. The following programme contains scenes of violence and outdated attitudes that some viewers may find offensive. If you do feel offended, or outraged, or challenged, please be advised that the descendants of the regiments portrayed in this film - black and white - meet together on an annual basis. Sometimes the Zulus win the football, sometimes the Brits win the spear throwing. Both sides get drunk together, make bawdy jokes and chat for years afterwards on Facebook. If any of the issues raised have affected you, please reflect on what you have just seen before accusing your 60 year-old uncle of being Hitler reincarnate because he still enjoys watching Benny Hill. You culturally-illiterate big girls bra".

Tool

LE
That day it was exceeding cold and the falling snow was very fine, dry and light, what skiers call ‘powder’. This somehow flew up into the engines which then cut out.
I understood it to be non-conducting (or less conducting than the "heavier" snow), a bit of a problem with third rails and electric engines.

The modern 'entertainment' industry does not appear to understand satire. Alan Coren's Idi Amin parody was genius. Even Alf Garnett......if watched without being pre-offended......I think is actually poking at those bigotted attitudes.
People confuse the subject of a joke with the object of the joke.

I noticed the same with Get Some In on Talking Pictures this morning, drivel about being made between 1975 and 1978 when attitudes and humour were different.
The only things I could spot that might be considered offensive were referring to a Scotch bloke as McNasty ( or similar high end wit ) and taking the Mick out of a bloke called Lilley.
Compare and contrast with an(y) episode of The Wire on Sky , no caveats at all before being subjected to a couple of characters calling each other giNgers ( anag.) none stop
Not a crime unless u is a gammon my gammon.