The world has finally gone mad

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm relatively relaxed about the disclaimer notices. It's the fact that someone thought it was worth digitising then pixellating some tits on calendars in the background that is baffling.

I'm not, if I'm honest. It rather offends me that they can't trust the majority of their audience to understand that attitudes change and be smart enough to deal with it.

Treating your viewers as morons is rarely a good look.

As for Postman Pat and his black and white cat!
A propos of which, Alan Coren’a past wit must be causing his offspring, especially his tw*t of a son, some severe heartburn.
Coren on Poetry: ‘If it wasn’t for poetry, Postman Pat would have had a black and white dog’.
Possibly my favourite joke ever...

"What did they call Postman Pat when he lost his job?"

"Pat".

I'm just watching one of the funniest films of all time - Airplane! Is the airline name - Trans America - unacceptable now? God help us with "first the earth cooled then the dinosaurs came then they turned into oil and then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes". ..

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not, if I'm honest. It rather offends me that they can't trust the majority of their audience to understand that atitudes change and be smart enough to deal with it.

Treating your viewers as morons is rarely a good look.
Not just that. Treating them as morons and also applying peer/social pressure to make it the norm.

Seems to work for most.of em, sadly. Pretty much all daytime TV, "Strictly", "Britain's got Morons", anything with Cowell, Newsnight.....
Thank God for ‘The Repair Shop’ - seriously!
Watching one episode a couple of years ago, Steve Fletcher was fixing a music box and he mentioned it had been made in the small mountain town we live in.
This prompted me to visit the museum dedicated to music boxes and mechanical art for a guided tour.
I was gripped by the sheer technical, yet manual, skills required to develop and produce traditional music boxes. So much so I asked the Curator if she had need of a tri-lingual guide. She did and, after a three-month apprenticeship, I qualified, in a field that, up to then, I had had zero real knowledge.
It’s a great retirement job.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Much like the old Polo slogan - people like Wolfie....

The mint with a hole?

I'm sure something from Volkswagen would be more appropriate...

That contemporary calendar publishers should choose to avoid nudes is one thing. That someone would go back 40 years and attempt to obscure stuff in an insignificant light entertainment show, being run on an obscure channel ought to make us all deeply afraid.

’Naked Attraction’ C4. Close the thread...

What he said. ^ Perfectly okay to show some fat tattooed lezzer with her clopper splashed all over the big screen, but pixellated tits on a fifty year old tv show? There's trigger warnings before bloody Emmerdale FFS.

Watching one episode a couple of years ago, Steve Fletcher was fixing a music box and he mentioned it had been made in the small mountain town we live in.
This prompted me to visit the museum dedicated to music boxes and mechanical art for a guided tour.
I was gripped by the sheer technical, yet manual, skills required to develop and produce traditional music boxes. So much so I asked the Curator if she had need of a tri-lingual guide. She did and, after a three-month apprenticeship, I qualified, in a field that, up to then, I had had zero real knowledge.
Some of ’The Repair Śhop’ is good stuff, particularly the restoration of old mechanical stuff. However, ripping the nose off a prized teddy and sewing a new bear on the back of it doesn’t impress me...

Some of ’The Repair Śhop’ is good stuff, particularly the restoration of old mechanical stuff. However, ripping the nose off a prized teddy and sewing a new bear on the back of it doesn’t impress me...
Fair enough, but the technical skills they demonstrate, and give some explanation to, are outstanding.
Mind you the ‘Bear Ladies’ do feature in another Arrse thread!

Is that the place by the Rhine with the cable car going up the hill to those statues and a temple thingy at the top? (Not sure of the name - possibly Rudesheim?) (probably not as you say it is a mountain town). We visited it on a river cruise.

If so, it is one of the best museums I have ever been to - the mechanical gizmo playing several fiddles was just mind-blowing. Great memories.

Is that the place by the Rhine with the cable car going up the hill to those statues and a temple thingy at the top? (Not sure of the name - possibly Rudesheim?) (probably not as you say it is a mountain town). We visited it on a river cruise.

If so, it is one of the best museums I have ever been to - the mechanical gizmo playing several fiddles was just mind-blowing. Great memories.

Whether it's the same place, I don't know. But that museum in Rudesheim is outstanding.

And my wife liked the hat I bought her in the town......

No. We’re up in the Swiss Jura, and look down on Lac Neuchatel.
Funny you should mention a ‘mechanical gizmo playing several fiddles’, I was learning about them yesterday.
The next village along also has a museum, more dedicated to mechanical art. The family that owns it decided they all wished to retire and there was a danger the whole collection, including several unique pieces and your mechanical violincons, could be broken up and sold all over the world.
One of the ‘violin’ exhibits also includes a piano for duets. I learned yesterday that, when it was made in 1920, it cost the same as a house: value today, the same as a house! (Take a look at property prices in commuting distance from Lausanne.’
Anyway, local and federal government decided, and have helped fund, the purchase of the Baud collection (as a national asset), amalgamation with our collection (itself exceptionally valuable), and incorporation in our existing building but completely revamped to house the two collections.
In the interim, and while our building is closed for works, the three of us guides plus the curator will run the Baud museum.
Lots of work ahead to learn about the Baud collection and qualify as multi-lingual guides by June at the latest.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
I’m just glad I bought all eight series of ‘It ain’t half hot, Mum’ on DVD when I had the chance. There is zero possibility of the BBC ever repeating it, even with trigger warnings.

As for Postman Pat and his black and white cat!
A propos of which, Alan Coren’s past wit must be causing his offspring, especially his tw*t of a son, some severe heartburn.
Coren on Poetry: ‘If it wasn’t for poetry, Postman Pat would have had a black and white dog’.
1618360690524.png
They'll definitely choke on the cornflakes if this is ever republished...

I'm just watching one of the funniest films of all time - Airplane! Is the airline name - Trans America - unacceptable now? God help us with "first the earth cooled then the dinosaurs came then they turned into oil and then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes". ..
What about Air Israel? Shirley assuming a plane is Jewish is a no-no.

zuo77l6pl0d51.jpg

I’m just glad I bought all eight series of ‘It ain’t half hot, Mum’ on DVD when I had the chance. There is zero possibility of the BBC ever repeating it, even with trigger warnings.
It's like how "Blazing Saddles" has disappeared everywhere.

I've been watching the youtube reviews of young people today watching it. The thing is the bulk of them enjoyed it (even black people find it hilarious!).

Last edited:

Latest Threads